“Nice spot fo lunch. More than a bakery.”

Macri's Italian Bakery
Reserve with OpenTable
Macri's Italian Bakery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 308 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Here's my deal, I know stuff. Actually, strike that, I rely on other people who know stuff to tell me what stuff I need to know and then by proxy I know stuff. Ya know?

My secret talent is picking places to eat. I use reviews (what up TripAdvisor!), intuition, subtle feedback from those eating with me, and a shiny heads-only quarter. Don't mess with my system, I'm never wrong. Step yo game up.

Sometimes I even pick a place that doesn't seem like a perfect fit for a member of my crew just so I can challenge myself. This is one of those instances.

I was traveling with a mixed crew - kids, older (read: old) people, etc. The pressure was on.

I saw the reviews for Macri's and it looked legit (spoiler alert, it is legit, sorry if you haven't seen season two yet). Sandwiches, baked goods, etc. Let's do this.

We roll up in there and someone in my crew said "a bakery? You took us to a bakery?" Yep. Totes did. Grab a sando and sit down. Sit down and enjoy that beautiful toasty pile of meats and cheeses on focaccia. Do it. And so they did. And it was glorious.

And that's how I know stuff.

Oh, all the baked goods are banging too. Trust.

1  Thank skimaine

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was in town for business and found this restaurant close to the meeting location. I ordered a sandwich and artichoke salad. The fresh bread was amazing and made a great sandwich. The food was good and large portions.

1  Thank Nevesmommy
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I love supporting local businesses and Carmela's never lets me down. The food is always excellent and the wait staff is top notch! While Carmela's has a great Italian pasta menu I prefer a fish or chicken entrée and I'm alway's happy with Carmela's options. Sit in the bar, order a great meal and enjoy!

1  Thank boiler1
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The array of pastries is amazing. And they taste as good as they look! I love tiramisu and the server suggested I try their toasted almond tiramisu. It was absolutely out of this world delicious! We also had paninis that were sooooo good. Nothing fancy but great tasting and filling. Definitely recommend eating at Macri's when you're in South Bend.

1  Thank Santinaf
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My son & I stopped in today after a long drive. I was looking for something other than chain restaurant fare but we didn't have a lot of time. Macri's turned out to be the perfect choice: no frills, no lines, good service (more careful & kind than fast & furious), & excellent food. The panini were very good but the pasta was spectacular.

1  Thank Potamologist