“Eastrace”
Review of East Race Waterway

East Race Waterway
Ranked #15 of 57 things to do in South Bend
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Try it at least once, great rapids for being on a four person raft. watch out for the kayaks. drink a soda afterwards

All reviews
"helmets"
in 4 reviews
"concert"

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Pretty place to walk or run. Saturdays during the summer, SB parks offers rafting down the race. Low cost family fun!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

What a great asset to South Bend,as a kid I fished all over the St Joe River,Took many Bass,Blue Gill home, The city has done such a great job of making this a visual delight. This river has ment alot to all who have called South Bend home.And even the Olympics have came there.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

They should take a bit more time instructing first time rafters. Or, have written instructions in addition to the brief and very quickly given verbal instructions given just before getting into the water. We capsized, and though I tried my best to do as I had been told when the lifeguards tossed me a line, two different lifeguards gave up on me and let go of the rope! I am a swimmer and a small to average sized adult. It was a bit frightening to continue down the river wihout our raft while being pushed under several times by the power of the rapids in spite of trying to stay on my back as told. Another lifeguard finally came in at assisted me at the exit point of the river. Had I known this experience was one of the possible outcomes, I would have NEVER allowed my under 18 kids to attempt this adventure. My family members that stayed in their boat had a great time, but just know that an unpleasant outcome is possible! Wish there had been more warning.

1  Thank fam6plus2
See more reviews
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I've run the East Race several times with friends and family. It is ranked as a Class II Whitewater river. It's a short run at only 5 minutes long for the run. It's safe: there are safety monitors every few feet with throw ropes and radios. I have also run the East East Race with my own hard sided kayak. I've run several Class IV-V Whitewater Rivers. It's well worth the few dollars if you've never whitewater rafted before.