“A definite stop in South Bend”
Review of Cafe Navarre

Cafe Navarre
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Navarre is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 297 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington
Description: A warm, inviting atmosphere best defines Cafe Navarre. Clearly one of downtown South Bend's most attractive buildings from the exterior, and the view from inside Cafe Navarre is nothing short of breathtaking. The fusion of Old World style architecture with natural light and the finest interior furnishings, the ambiance of Cafe Navarre is truly one of a kind.The style of food offered by Cafe Navarre includes French, Italian and Spanish. Cuisine distinguished by simplicity, full flavor, and healthiness describes the overall style. Cafe Navarre's menu also offers more fresh fish options than what other local restaurants typically offer.Dishes created with farm to table sources are unmistakable in flavor and quality. These are regularly featured at Cafe Navarre, along with an array of top shelf wines at prices that our customers return frequently to enjoy.Private Rooms: For your special event or business meeting, Cafe Navarre can seat up to 20 guests in each of three private meeting rooms.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We use this restaurant as the go to for special occasions. We've celebrated birthdays, anniversaries and dined casually here. Food is great; the wine list is good and the atmosphere is jumping. I general get the smoked fish app with the Cesar salad. The pork osso bucco is must. Their specials are always interesting and creative.

We're glad this restaurant has been successful and has built itself a loyal patronage. South Bend needs a place like this where you can dine rather than eat out.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Navarre

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I waited until the day before New Year's Eve to make dinner reservations so we were not expecting much. We were happy to get reservations at Cafe Navarre though, and set off on a snowy evening to enjoy a quiet meal. What we received, however, was our best meal of 2013! The food, service and ambiance was exceptional. We were seated at a small banquet table near the kitchen (expected-late reservations you know), but even this table was fine as it was blocked from the kitchen and service activities by a lovely screen. The restaurant itself is an old bank building with high ceilings and tall windows, long and narrow, dark woods, private booths, romantic. We both had soup, my husband wild mushroom (he loved it) and I had french onion, done perfectly. Our main courses were the lamb shank and the steak frites, both excellent. We also had desserts: creme brulee and carrot cake. Again, the whole meal was wonderful! We never felt rushed, even though they were obviously busy, and our server was always there when we needed her yet she never hovered. Our entire bill, with tip, was around $120.00, and worth every penny. I am so glad we waited until the last minute to book our New Year's Eve supper because it could not have been better!

1  Thank IUalum
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Being a Chicago native and a trained chef, I have had difficulty finding restaurants that are up to par with the Chicago restaurant offerings. I was recommended to dine at Cafe Navarre by Paul, the owner of Antonio's in Elkhart - pretty much the only restaurant that has lived up to being worth going out to dinner in the area.

Cafe Navarre provides excellent ambience (especially if you are sitting on the 2nd floor), and food quality that is top notch. My husband and I chose to dine to celebrate New Year's Eve and we were both in heaven with our meals.

Excellent service, amazing cocktail/wine selection, fantastic food presentation, gorgeous surroundings...what more could you ask for?

They were also very helpful recommending a bar for us that they are associated with - The Whiskey Bar Exchange and it hit it out of the park as well.

Will be going back for ALL special occasions that we don't go back home to Chicago for and also when we want a special date night. Love this restaurant!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Trip Advisor reviews were good, but that was NOT our experience. Shrimp cocktail were huge, but rubbery & tasteless. Cesar salad had the worst Cesar dressing I've ever tasted. I love duck so I ordered the Duck Two Ways. Most boring duck I've ever had. Risotto was overcooked until it was mush. Tried the pumpkin cheesecake since I'm a huge pumpkin fan. No pumpkin flavor. Pretty much no flavor at all. My husband's meal wasn't bad, but his steak was undercooked. His creme brulee was very good. All in all a very disappointing experience for a lot of money.

2  Thank takethedog4awalk
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Cafe Navarre is in a renovated bank in downtown South Bend. It is a beautifully elegant space with dependable relaxed service, delicious food, and a smart and reasonable wine list.

Been to Cafe Navarre? Share your experiences!