“Keep driving, trust me”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Front desk reception was good and I was quickly checked in. Internet was $2.99 extra. Bolt lock on door broken. Carpet was filthy and ruined my white socks. The AC worked well. No water pressure from sink faucet and no hot water. Bed sheets were stained (I'll spare the details, but it was disgusting and I can't figure out how they weren't thrown away). Lipstick on pillowcase. Bath towels were ratty and rough and varying shades of white. It gets better: I was thinking I should check the mattress for bed bugs and surprised that I didn't find any. Not long after I sat in a desk chair and starting watching TV did I notice the fleas. It was late and I found that if I kept my feet elevated off the floor the fleas didn't bother me. No hot water in the morning either. I suspect this sorry Motel 6 will be put out its misery soon. The pool looked nice and there's laundry and vending machines available. I'm no expert, but my guess is that any other option would be better.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank g90025

Reviewed May 19, 2010

This motel has some serious problems. The sheets had iron burns on them and were of poor quality, as were the blanket and bedspread. The chairs in the "work area" were stained. The bathroom had only a shower, which would have been fine if I had been able to move around in it. It was circular with the shower head extending from the open end to the back. Very strange. I am not a large person and could not turn around or lift my hands to wash my hair without hitting my arms on the wall and/or shower curtain. Only one small bar of soap was available; it had to be carried from the lavatory to the shower. No shampoo. I didn't expect a hair dryer (and there wasn't one), but I did expect shampoo. The towels were threadbare. Only one bath towel was available, so I had nothing to put on my hair.

I reserved a queen-sized bed; the one in the room was only a full. I was told there were no queen-sized beds. Their web page says they do. When picking up something I dropped, I had to look under the bed where I found more lint than when I clean out my clothes dryer vent.

The TV's remote control had no cover over its battery compartment and the cover had fallen off the thermostat.

Overnight the parking lot became full of yelling and screaming loiterers. No one asked them to leave.

All in all, this is a horrible place to stay. If it were not Notre Dame graduation weekend and could have found somewhere else to stay that was not 50 miles away, I would have left. While the price was very cheap, this is the kind of place where $10 a night would have been too high a price to pay.

Avoid this Motel 6.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank IndyLaw
Reviewed January 31, 2010

The mattreses were no more than 4-inches thick, the sheets were stained and ripped, the mattresses were stained. I lifted the mattress of my bed and found that the box spring was horribly stained. More terrifying was what looked like the shank crack pipe and a small piece of paper with what looked like a little girl's e-mail address on it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank BerkanaBeads
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I have stayed here twice in the last 4 years.
It is a great place with a wonderful friendly staff.
The neighborhood is loaded with plenty of great places to eat!
I loved the Marco' Pizza & Steak & Shake.
This place is worth double of what they charge.
I have stayed in other places in South Bend that cost 3x as much and the Motel 6 is a much better deal.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DaggySoup
Reviewed December 14, 2007

This is the second time I've stayed here..The second time also being a bad experience..I was unlucky I guess to be awaken to loud noises from second floor guests....It sounded as if they were dancing.loud music.etc..The parking spot close to my room was taken up by other guest's visitors(the party guests I guess).The plumbing was a little defective with the shower nozzle needing replaced and the stool not working properly at times......TV terrible and no clock....Beds not bad...If you stay ask for room on the South Side that's the mgr's apartment side and they seem to screen their guests for that side a little better.....

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I stayed at this hotel the evening prior to a job interview. When I arrived, the hotel was experiencing computer problems which delayed my check in significantly. However, the desk attendant was friendly and apologetic, reducing my rate almost a full 20 per cent from my quoted rate online.

My room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Dining was within walking distance and I felt safe during my walk.

The next morning, the desk attendant helped me with directions to my interview and suggested a breakfast restaurant not far from the property.

I would recommend this for travelers on a budget and would return should my plans take me to this side of South Bend.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Drummer46241
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Clean and well kept. Pool is clean. Much better than Niles Convention Center lodging. Price is right too.

Stayed: August 2003