“Thought this hotel was great - would stay again”

Comfort Suites University Area
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was concerned about staying here given some of the poor reviews, but they were so poor I thought they were fishy. I spoke to the hotel manager, felt good about the hotel after my call and booked. The place is clean the staff friendly, I was very happy with my rooms. I would stay here again. Do not believe some of the complainers that write reviews on TripAdvisor. Regarding my low ranking of the price, at $298 per night for a football game that is steep, but I sort of understand it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank BeachAvenue

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at comfort suites this past weekend. good experience hotel was clean, room was very nice, enjoyed the fitness area as well. Breakfast was good, however thought it was a little odd that the lady in the kitchen was yelling quite loudly to the young gal in the food area on more then one occasion when we came down for breakfast. Overall good though, scale of 1 to 10 we give a 9.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Harleyfamily1974
Reviewed August 15, 2012

our room was impeccably clean. Bed felt like home. breakfast was very good, love the orange juice. we would stay here again. Our in room jacuzzi hit the spot after a 425 mile motorcycle ride. we were on our way home from Sturgis, SD Motorcycle Rally.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Prankstermary1
Reviewed July 1, 2012

trash between bed and nightstand. door would not close air did not work heard elevator all night, moved to another room next night and found trash again. Rude girl at desk on check in could not handle phone and a problem same on Sun at check out rude man. dont go

Room Tip: don't stay don't block rooms either they will be all over hotel not together.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Judith E
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel due to a flight cancellation and I needed a place to sleep overnight. This hotel was filthy and gross!! There was trash in the hallways and elevators. The door to my room didn't even close properly. The door was separated from the door jam by an 1 1/2". The sheets had holes in them and the towels were very dingy. I had a 5:30am flight so I just sat in the desk chair all night. I was not about to lay in that bed or use the shower. Unfortunately everything in the area was booked because of camps at ND. Not only was this a nasty hotel, but the clerk at check in was not friendly at all. The only positive thing I can say is that the gentleman that drove the shuttle at 4:15 am was very friendly.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank VaMom7
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was greeted with less than expected hospitality. The clerk was not friendly and distant. Once I got into my room, I was disappointed to find my tub did not have the jets as promised in the upgraded price I paid. It was a nice hotel, just a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed here during Memorial Weekend for a soccer tournament. This place had a good size room with a nice greeting area. There was easy access to this location, and easy access to the main roads. It was an average hotel stay. The only problems I had was that they used way to much chlorine in the pool. My kids eyes were buring after 5 minutes. Also I wished they would have taken more effort to clean up mess on the side walk were someone got sick. They just rinsed it off the edge, and when we were loading up the car it was a horrible stench.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family