“Looks like a palace, feels like a hotel.”

Comfort Suites University Area
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This was a perfectly fine place to stay. When I first arrived I was put in a room next to the elevators. The front desk called up within a few minutes to ask how everything was, and when I expressed concern about the location, I was immediately switched to a more remote room on the fourth floor, so I appreciated the service.

The room was clean, not too dated, and had nice amenities. The wifi service was good, and a microwave, fridge, and coffeemaker were standard. The bed was supportive.

I found the architecture and avenue of flags a little over the top for the location (typical highway exit location), but the interior was hotel standard. Breakfast was typical of the hotel experience but had a decent selection of hot and cold items. The location is convenient to the highway and there were plenty of chain restaurants and the like around if you're into that kind of thing. Because of the highway location, road noise might be an issue if you are a light sleeper, so ask for a room on the other side of the hotel, or use your room fan to mask the noise.

Overall, a fine experience; I'd stay here again if I needed to come back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Shadeaumarie

Reviewed June 5, 2011

We brought our two children and lab retriever dog. Very friendly staff and were great with both the dog and children. Room was clean and comfy. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank maryb318
Reviewed March 14, 2011

The Rooms & internet service was top notch. Shawn at the front desk, was a great help during the almost month that I was there. Bonnie, who takes care of breakfast every morning, can not be beat. She gets to know everyone's name that comes in, and remembers them, and makes sure that you have a wonderful experience. She was the most rememberable thing about the stay. Hard to find people like that on the road ! They have a weekly rate as well, that really helped the pocketbook, also !

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel to get a break from home. The person at the front desk was very nice and have me some of the things I forgot at home. The room was very spacious and clean! The bed was very comfortable and clean, also. Everything was awesome except for the 4 times I was woken up by very loud noises from a young couple next door, which made me feel very uncomfortable. Because it was already very late, I didn't think it would be worth moving to another room. The hotel was nice, but definetly not a place to stay if you need a restful night sleep.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
GeneralManager026, General Manager at Comfort Suites University Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2011

We want to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments and all the positive things you said about our hotel. We pride ourselves in our spacious and comfortable surroundings. We are sorry to hear that noises from the adjoining room kept you from a peaceful sleep. We hope you will give us an opportunity to win back your favor on your next trip though the area. As a side not we will begin a renovation of our sleeping rooms in April and hopefully some of the sound issue can be addressed.

Reviewed February 6, 2011

My wife and I were going to stay somewhere else in South Bend, but found out they wouldn't allow us to stay in a non-smoking room with our dog. A few clicks of the mouse in a nearby McDonalds parking lot, and we booked a reservation for the Comfort Suites.

I was surprised by the size of the room. For a little over $100 dollars are room was extremely spacious. It had a living room area (plush chair, and couch), with a column entrance to the bed area. The room also included a flat screen HDTV, and a mini-fridge.

The complimentary breakfast is one of the best I have ever seen. A lot of options, including a lot of hot food such as eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.

Notre Dame stadium was probably about a five to ten minute drive away depending on traffic.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager026, General Manager at Comfort Suites University Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

As a pet owner I know how difficult it can be to locate a pet friendly hotel. We are proud of our hotel and what it offers to all our guests both human and pet. We appreciate your kind words and hope the next time thru you will stop in and see the new look we are about to embark on. Renovations of our rooms will begin in April and we are sure you and your kids (pets) will enjoy your stay even more this time round.

Reviewed January 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel en route to Wisconsin from New Jersey for Thanksgiving. We saved every penny we had to to make this trip back to see our families. This hotel sounded like a great bargain, since it included breakfast--a big cost savings when you're travelling with young kids. We checked in at around 2am after driving 12 hours and requested a non-smoking room. The room was frigid and smelled like bleach. After carrying in the kids and putting them to sleep, we turned on the air, and the room filled with the smell of cigarettes. Obviously, someone had smoked in the room before. I am a smoker myself, but never inside, never with my children around. BUT the kids were asleep and it was 2am so we went to sleep. The next morning, we headed down to breakfast, only to find that although there was still 1 hour of breakfast time left, there were no eggs, no bagels and no coffee. The woman serving kindly ran to the back to see if she could find anything for my children to eat but they were out. Other families complained that this was the second day in a row that this had happened, and the serving woman agreed, but could do nothing about it. So we packed up and went downstairs to check out and receive our deposit, passing the cleaning lady along the way with a pack of cigarettes sitting on her cart. We were told the room would have to be checked for damages first, but the person who was checking was on break, and there was no manager on duty. In fact the manager was off for the weekend--this, on the biggest travel weekend of the year. SO we waited 1/2 hour, then another 20 minutes once she returned. Then she stated there was "evidence of smoking" so we couldn't receive our deposit--part of the evidence being my empty cigarette pack in the garbage. I explained that I'd cleaned out my pocketbook (a lot of garbage accumulates while travelling) before we started out again, and that the room smelled like smoke because we'd turned on the air to heat the room. She said she couldn't do anything about it without the manager. That the room would have to have "testing"---I explained that the room stunk of smoke when we turned on the heat, and that someone HAD smoked in the room, so the test would only show that, and that we NEEDED our deposit back in order to continue our travels. She called the manager, who would NOT get on the phone, and who said, "too bad, we'll have to mail it to them." Again, I explained we needed this money for the trip, but she refused and apologized for the manager, stating it had been a crazy weekend and that the hotel was really understaffed and she also could not understand WHY the manager wasn't there working. SO--1 hour after we tried to leave, we left hungry, exhausted from a night sleeping in a stinking room, and without the money we had put down for a deposit in good faith, in terrible moods after being falsely accused. Nice stay, huh? NO!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank tsellinger
Reviewed November 20, 2010

There are not a lot of pet friendly options in South Bend, but Comfort Suites was was a good place for us to stay. We have a very senior dog and our a bit on the senior side ourselves. Our room was comfortable. The fridge did not work right away and we had to get a new one put into the room. That and the side door reader did not always work and at 6 in the morning, that was not a lot of fun.

However, breakfast was always good. The coffee is very good. And the very best part of our stay was Bonnie, who makes sure that the breakfast area is well stocked and clean. She made us feel completely comfortable and we watched as she did the same for everyone else. Starting the day with someone like that around really makes for a great day!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple