“Lots of hype, but not much more”

O'Rourke's Public House
Ranked #16 of 295 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: O'Rourke's Public House is a locally owned Irish bar located across from the beautiful University of Notre Dame. With a fantastic family friendly atmosphere, a large patio overlooking the home of the Fighting Irish, two full bars, and great late night options, O'Rourke's is the perfect spot for drinks with friends, fans, and family. Check out our weekly pub activities: Trivia(Monday), Karaoke(Tuesday), Opinionation(Wednesday), Mike Brey Radio Show or Brian Kelly Radio Show(Thursdays during season).
Mishawaka, Indiana
“Lots of hype, but not much more”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This restaurant bills itself as an "Irish pub" right next to Notre Dame. However, they don't know how to make an Irish coffee (ours were cold). Also, I tried THREE times to get a cosmopolitan that was made properly and finally just gave up. Their bartender seems to need lessons on how to make popular drinks. I found that it is often overly crowded and it gets VERY noisy and hard to converse. There is a back room that feels like a cavern. I've eaten here a few times because it was convenient to Notre Dame, but really I would rather just go to Legends, which is right down the street. I've ordered the "Irish Nachos" which are also served at Legends, but they were dry and the cheese was hard--not appetizing at all. I prefer the Mexican type of nachos anyway, so I would skip these in the future. There's nothing really compelling about this place that would make me want to go back. Several other bars within walking distance makes this not a stand-out in my opinion.Brother's bar and grill is right down the street and I've heard it's better.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank littlepigeon926

Yuma, Arizona
“Run of the mill Irish pub.”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

The place is in a nice area and we were able to walk from our hotel. The food was OK, not great. I had the Shepard's Pie and it was 50% carrots, I wouldn't order it again. The beer selection was good.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Firefightirr
Toledo, Ohio
“Okay experience”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was in the area on business and I decided to stop in for dinner. I'm not a drinker so I can't comment on the beer selection but I've had some very good dining experiences at campus pub's. The server was attentive & polite, he recommended the Fish & Chips so I took his advice & that's what I ordered. I also ordered a side salad which was served very quickly. Unfortunately, before I could finish half of my salad, my entree was deliverd to me by another server so it sat there until I finished my salad. The fish was very good, the fries (chips) were very average. The price was reasonable. Would I go back if I were in the area again? Likely not, I'd try another establishment. The atmosphere was typical of a campus pub.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Peter K
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Good pub fare close to ND”
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We ate here on a busy Saturday night with a large party (24). Our server was very pleasant and accommodating . We had a mixed group of adults and children . They easily handled separate checks for our group.

We were seated on time. Everyone had a variety of food. I had the BBQ salmon with sweet potato fries which I would recommend . We ordered the fried pickles as an appetizer and they were great!

It is not a place for quiet conversation . They were very welcoming to children . We will return next time we are in South Bend.

Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“Great location and food”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This restaurant is close to Notre Dame and in an area with shopping and parking. There are other restaurants but we liked the menu. The Shepatds Pie was delicious and a very large portion. It is a student hang out so there might be a wait and it can be noisy. No matter what the food we ordered was delicious!

• Visited March 2014