“I WILL BE BACK!”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2014

It is hard to impress me with Cantonese and Mandarin cuisine but this one is magnificent! #1 Hospitality, #1 Quality, #1 Food. The owner is from Taiwan and the menu along her great advice is astounding in quality, particularly the authentic Cantonese and Szechuan dishes. If you like spicy Chinese food, this is your place. If not, there is infinitely good choices for you. There was once a time 'a hole in a wall' Chinese restaurant place gave me the thrills and it was at the old Chinatown in Chicago. Now after 20 years, its making a repeat for me all over again. I was at Notre Dame for 3 days and I went everyday with my buddies. The next time I'm in town, I will be excitingly back again.
Thank you Jean for making it so memorable!....father mario

1  Thank Mario Q

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

After having Chinese food at various major cities, this small place in South Bend is one we always make a point to visit when we're at Notre Dame. Awesome service and always delicious food. Cannot say enough good things!

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Arrived with a colleague after a six hour drive. Ended up at this restaurant because of trip advisor reviews. The owner greeted us and asked what we liked. She wanted to surprise us. She treated us with dishes I would never have chosen from the menu. Best chinese food either of us had ever eaten. Fantastic! Dont be fooled by the casual venue and non fancy location. Food will not disappoint!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My colleague and I drove to South Bend from St. Louis and arrived at the restaurant just before closing time. We were welcomed immediately! Chen, the owner, came over to us and sat down. She asked us if we had been there before and when we told her we had not and were from out of town, she wanted to know how we had heard about her restaurant. We told her Trip Advisor! She wanted to know what we normally order at a Chinese restaurant. We gave her some ideas about what we liked. She then took the menus and told us, "I'll surprise you!" And, it WAS a surprise! The waiter brought out pot stickers that were delicious! They then brought us a spicy chicken dish with chili peppers. Then, they served us an unbelievable sweet dish with almond encrusted shrimp. Absolutely divine! Finally, she served us a beef dish with onions that was also SO good! That was to temp my colleague since she said she probably didn't want beef! She loved it! What a meal! All that for $33! We will certainly go back to JW Chen's if we're ever in the South Bend area again!

1  Thank Daneen H
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Every time we go to JW Chen's, Jean (Chen, the owner) comes right to your table, sits down, and takes your order. She always has something delicious cooking in the back! If you tell her, "surprise me", she never fails to come up with something out of this world. I guess the down side, if there is one, is that the restaurant is near Notre Dame University, and it can get a bit busy if the University has something going on. However if that's the case, carry-out works just fine! It's about the best Chinese restaurant in town.