“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Arrived with a colleague after a six hour drive. Ended up at this restaurant because of trip advisor reviews. The owner greeted us and asked what we liked. She wanted to surprise us. She treated us with dishes I would never have chosen from the menu. Best chinese food either of us had ever eaten. Fantastic! Dont be fooled by the casual venue and non fancy location. Food will not disappoint!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My colleague and I drove to South Bend from St. Louis and arrived at the restaurant just before closing time. We were welcomed immediately! Chen, the owner, came over to us and sat down. She asked us if we had been there before and when we told her we had not and were from out of town, she wanted to know how we had heard about her restaurant. We told her Trip Advisor! She wanted to know what we normally order at a Chinese restaurant. We gave her some ideas about what we liked. She then took the menus and told us, "I'll surprise you!" And, it WAS a surprise! The waiter brought out pot stickers that were delicious! They then brought us a spicy chicken dish with chili peppers. Then, they served us an unbelievable sweet dish with almond encrusted shrimp. Absolutely divine! Finally, she served us a beef dish with onions that was also SO good! That was to temp my colleague since she said she probably didn't want beef! She loved it! What a meal! All that for $33! We will certainly go back to JW Chen's if we're ever in the South Bend area again!

1  Thank Daneen H
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Every time we go to JW Chen's, Jean (Chen, the owner) comes right to your table, sits down, and takes your order. She always has something delicious cooking in the back! If you tell her, "surprise me", she never fails to come up with something out of this world. I guess the down side, if there is one, is that the restaurant is near Notre Dame University, and it can get a bit busy if the University has something going on. However if that's the case, carry-out works just fine! It's about the best Chinese restaurant in town.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Normally when we visit this restaurant, we don't feel rushed. However, on Saturday, May 10th that wasn't the case. The place was busy and understand it is a small restaurant. Our appetizer (soup)dishes were cleared almost before we began the main course. The rice was put on the table before we even got our soup. The main dishes arrived and we ran out of rice. Because of the crush of customers, we were unable to attract the attention of any server. As a result, some of our food got cold. Even with food still to be eaten, we received our bill.

It was like, pay and get our of here, We need that table! We will visit again -- perhaps in the middle of winter when no one is going out. Then there won't be a rush!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

By far my favorite Chinese restaurant in our city. Jean's (the owner) personal service is incomparable. She will sit down and not just take your order, but help you know what you want. She has made dishes off the menu based on what I like, and I have never been disappointed. Neither has my family. The service is very fast and the ingredients in the food are very fresh and delicious. Jean has brought complimentary dishes when we couldn't make up our minds. We usually have to go boxes to take home with us because we were stuffed. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.