“Popular and tasty”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
South Bend, Indiana
“Popular and tasty”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We ate here last week for the first time in ages and we'll be back. Good Chinese food is very hard to find in this area and Mrs. Chen gets it right. The food is fresh, delicious, not oily and not over seasoned. Her touch with vegetables is magic-broccoli and green beans-crisp and bright green. The crispy duck was a bit dry but the steamed fish with shredded ginger and scallions was excellent. Best of all Mrs. C sits down at your table to help you order. She tried to warn me that I had ordered too much and I assured her that I was planning for lots of leftovers.

• Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
South Bend, Indiana
“Food fantastic”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Everything is so fresh the food is so good you may have to wait but worth it the egg roll are yummy soup is good

• Visited February 2014
Chicago
“A for Effort”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I love Mrs. Chen. She works hard, comes and sits with everyone when you order and tries so hard to please. Judging from the crowds she attracts, I think she succeeds with making people feel comfortable and happy with the food.
She tries to use fresh ingredients and tries to be authentic. The problem is it's really still strip mall fare. I have never found the food having a distinctive taste from dish to dish. The food still has the look of corn starch sauce from the old days of Chinese restaurants. It also comes out in about five minutes or so after you order even if you're still eating soup or an appetizer.
Mrs. Chen will customize and adjust whatever you want on and off the menu. She tries to recommend things that she thinks you might like but it all ends up more or less tasting the same.
Many Asian students and faculty seem to like eating here, so maybe ordering from the Chinese menu produces something more interesting.
Considering what is available in South Bend, I guess this is as good as any other Chinese restaurant. And of course along with the food, you get Mrs Chen. That's certainly worth something.

• Visited December 2013
Notre Dame, Indiana, United States
“Good Food, Great Service”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The owner will literally sit down with you at your table and make recommendations based on your preferences! She even gave us a sample of the almond shrimp and it was DELICIOUS.

• Visited September 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
“Excellent catered New Years Eve party”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My first meal from JW Chen was catered by my chinese cardiologist for the nursing staff at the hospital. The food was wonderful. I took my family there a few weeks later and Jean the owner made some suggestions and brought us a few samples of dishes we didn't order. I was hooked on the almond shrimp immediately. I decided to have Jean cater my anual New Years Eve party. One of our friends was going to have dinner out until they heard where we were using Chen's to cater. My friend suggested trying the spicy beef, saying "it melts in your mouth". Jean was very helpful letting me know that some of my menu choices are delicious in the restaurant but don't cater well. She help me create a delicious menu and my 35 guest raved about her food both at the party and over the next few days from text. Everyone wanted to know where we got the food. On New Years Day Jean even called us to ask how our food was and to make sure we had enough. I highly recommend JW Chens for dinner,lunch or catering. Expect personal service with quality fresh food. Don't be surprised if children from surrounding tables come up and hug Jean while she is taking your order, she is very popular with her regular customers. Definately will use her again. Also, one of my friends now uses Jean to cater his business luncheons.

• Visited December 2013