“Classy Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The premier Italian Restaurant and Lounge in Indiana, offering unique and authentic Italian cuisine, enjoyable drinks and amazing dessert!
Osceola, Indiana
“Classy Italian”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our group of three had a very nice, friendly meal here on a somewhat slow Tuesday night. Having been here before and created a relationship with the Italian owners (from the Naples, Italy area), the host of our group let the wife/chef bring us what she recommended based around the sea bass entree. I never would have ordered the spicy mussels but I was glad to have the experience...the sauce was outstanding (use bread to sop it up - great!). Loved the pasta and clams. The sea bass entree was superb...delicate and delectable!

I'm anxious to go back to try the seafood risotto and see how it compares with what we had at a little cafe in one of the Cinque Terra towns in Italy. Ciao's nailed the sea bass!

We tasted an assortment of Italian pastries. My personal tastes do not gravitate to those type of pastries but the lemon tart was fantastic. Our group concurred.

Service was fine; attentive. Atmosphere was OK: contemporary; still needs some work from the previous restaurant but thankfully, it's not loud in the restaurant...finally, a great place for table talk. Parking is a pain in the butt in downtown South Bend...but there's a parking garage nearby that offers free parking for the first 2 hours, however, if there's an event going on it costs $5.

Go to Ciao's for the food and a fun time with your friends/family/colleagues. Interact with the owner/chef, talk up Italy and ask for her recommendations for the night.

• Visited March 2013

South Bend, Indiana
“Where is the service? Any service”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The first 2 time we ate at ciao's, is was a very nice experience. The third, different story. We had reservations, but we were seated in the lounge. The bartender took our drink order, and said a waitress would be with us soon. She never did show up. The bartender came back, and wanted to take our order, but he didn't know the specials. He went off to get more information, and came back with none. After sitting around for 25 minutes, we settled our bar bill and left. I went up to the front desk to ask to talk to some one in charge. It was the owners husband. He was very dismissive. At the time, I didn't know it was the owners husband, so I emailed the resturant. I got a very nice reply from a woman named Lisa, and then, the husband chimed in. And here is what he wrote to me, and I quote-"

I am the "man" that has answered to you and your colleagues/ friends in the way that you have reported (your personal version of course !).Thank you for "your truthful comments"

Yup. Not kidding. I will not be going back. And for the record, the only reason I joined tripAdvisor, was to write this review. Thats how mad I am.

2 Thank cactus211
Kalamazoo, Mi
“Sophisticated atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was part of a large (16) group that dined there recently on a Friday during Lent. Ciao's provided prompt service, and offered numerous vegetarian and seafood options, along with more traditional Italian favorites. Particularly noteworthly and different was its Pheasant Ravioli and the Asparagus Totellini. Decent wine selection and full bar. Complimentary bruschetta provided at table and there is a case with homemade Italian baked goods available fo purchase to take home with you. Ciao's recently moved (fall 2012) to a new location on the north end of downtown near the Doubletree hotel, and the atmosphere is very tasteful and upscale. Prices are a little higher than other Italian restaurants in the area, but the offerings are different as well. Highly recommended.

Fort Worth, Texas
“Upscale Italian”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Chaos has just opened at a new site. Elegant setting. Helpful servers. As always the food is incredibly good. She makes her own pasta which is the best I have ever had. I had a pheasant pasta dish and my husband had fish, which was also excellent. It is expensive but great for a special occasion.

Osceola, Indiana
“Nice ambiance, average food.”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Ciao's has great ambiance and great potential. I would have given them 3 and a half stars but definitely not 4 stars. I will be clear right off the bat, our waitress was helpful and knowledgeable.

Some factors in the rating are the time between plates and the quality of the food. Based on the price, I figured I would get a real piece of chicken breast bursting with flavor when I ordered the Chicken Piccatte but it was nothing more than a flat processed, flavorless piece of chicken I could have purchased from GFS. This was not a chicken breast, this was not a chicken breast flattened with a mallet, it was processed chicken.

The ambiance wowed us, we just wish the food did too.