All reviews bedroom suite free laundry the outdoor patio area notre dame nice perk bar stools strange smell a small kitchen area evening reception pool and hot tub served its purpose plenty of hot water first floor soccer tournament short drive the rooms were nice very nice stay
Reviewed August 6, 2018

Everyone that we encountered during our stay were very friendly. They have a nice breakfast area and the hotel itself is very nice. It is located on the main road and the area is a little bit shady, I wouldn't walk around at night alone. It is located not too far from Notre Dame University. We stayed during a time when a bunch of teenage girl twirlers were in town for a competition. They were annoying but that has nothing to do with the hotel. Our room was a bit on the small size. It had 1 king bed, 1 pull out couch bed and a small kitchen area. We didn't care for the way the bathroom was situated but it served its purpose. We stayed for four nights and the first two days and night we never got any room service. We had to go down to get new towels, toilet paper, etc. After we told them that our room wasn't being serviced we had no problems. Overall we were not too happy with the room, it seemed a bit claustrophobic with 3 adults but we made do. We would want a bigger room if we went back. The elevator is pretty slow, so have patience. The place also has a strange smell when you walk it. It's almost like hair spray, or maybe that was all of the teenage girls! Overall not a bad place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2018

We arrived early to check-in and the person (Michelle) on the front desk told us that we cannot do early check-in as she has no room available for us. At the same time checking-in another guest. Later, my wife called the 1-800 number and spoke with the customer relations personnel over phone and to our surprise we came to know that we are a privilege member and are eligible for early check-in. Later the person on phone went ahead and called the same person on front desk and immediately got a room available for us! Yes, in an instant the room appeared from thin air!
However, our struggle at this location did not end with early check-in. Once we entered the room, we realized that our room was different, AC wasn't working, toilet paper wasn't there, towels were from the previous guests, and trash can is still full. It was stinking room due to non-working AC and filled trash containers and old things. I called the front desk to have them replaced, and the same person responded that someone will be there shortly, no one came for next 4 hours. Later I called the same 1-800 number and informed about the situation. The person on phone was courteous and connected me to the corporate office of the hotel company there I spoke with Ms. Dixcie and she called the front desk to get the things taken care of. Still this wasn't the end! The non-working AC was an issue only that the second day they sent someone, who came and told that replacing the control unit was the solution though, wanted me to call him if it is not working. I wondered that it wasn't working that was the reason to call front desk in the first place. The person insisted that still he wants another call before he replaces it. This reminded me of college days where the dorm maintenance will follow a bureaucratic delay before finally fixing things! It is at this time I regretted reserving at this hotel. Other than that: floor carpet has stains everywhere (seemed like coffee or some other fluid, may be pee!), leaky toilet flush, non-working AC, broken coffee pot, broken hair dryer, no service to change the bedding, towel, and toilet paper, cobwebs hanging all over kitchen, bathroom, and sink.
The decent part was the breakfast lady (forgot to ask her name), she was nice and provided good breakfast and expressed sorry several times when it was not her fault that the milk van didn't come. I think she should be managing this hotel. Like her fresh and hot breakfast with courtesy, she will do a great job managing the hotel. Michelle (the front desk person who denied us check-in and perhaps the intervention of customer care personnel on phone ticked her off to continue her wrath of giving us a poor-quality room and no-service, was definitely biased towards us may be due to the check-in incidence or perhaps her own bias towards us as we are not whites.
Overall, I will not recommend this particular hotel to anyone due to above reasons. I have stayed at this chain of hotel in other states (CA, NY, FL, NE, CO, etc) and never had such poor quality of service, and bias of manager towards people of color. This place definitely has someone will problem.

Room Tip: Dirty room, towels, cobwebs everywhere, AC broken, Racially biased manager (Michelle)
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2018

We stayed here using our credit card anniversary night. We have stayed at several Staybridges in the past and have usually really enjoyed them. This trip wasn't as enjoyable. Nothing was absolutely horrible, but... After looking at a few other reviews (unfortunately after the fact) I see that noises from other rooms has been an issue. We did not call to complain because 1. We weren't sure which direction the loudness was actually coming from (above or next or below) and 2. We had been unsuccessful in getting ahold of the clerk earlier in the evening and figured there wasn't much that would be done even if we did get in touch with him.

We had an accessible room by request and did get it. However the tub did not have any way for someone who is unable to stand to take a shower. There were grab rails and an adjustable shower nozzle, but no where to sit! So...no shower for me. (one of the things we were trying to find out from the desk clerk was if they did have a shower seat that could be used).

Breakfast was OK, but not quite what we've had in the past elsewhere. The breakfast staff was friendly.

The checkout went smoothly and the clerk was nice.

We are IHG members and were not offered our 'perk' at check-in. The clerk acted a little put off that we inquired about it. It was taken care of.
We did not have the opportunity to try the pool.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2018

When we arrived, the room we reserved wasn't available. We were traveling with our teenagers and needed to be in the same room so we booked the 2 bedroom suite - mostly for the 2 bathrooms. The staff worked to make it right by finding us 2 rooms - one for free and one for a super low rate. Neither room was ready though (6:00 p.m.) They eventually found our original reservation. There was loud music in the courtyard and one phone call took care of it. But the staff couldn't quite make up for issues with the room and with breakfast. I knew this was an old property so I didn't expect it to be pristine, but it could've been much cleaner. Blood stains on pull out mattress. Mold in shower. Stains on carpet and on bar stools. Bedding was clean but it was simply a thin blanket covered with a sheet. A/C was so loud when turning on and off I barely slept. Breakfast was a mess! The hotel was fully booked - baseball and lacrosse tournaments in town - but they were not at all prepared. The gal running breakfast seemed overwhelmed and clueless. They were out of everything. When you could get hot food it was almost inedible. They didn't even have cream for coffee. They ran out of milk. I needed to feed my boys before sending them off to play lacrosse all day and I made a point of selecting a hotel that included breakfast. It was disappointing when I had to go buy them food elsewhere. They price gouge during busy times in South Bend and for $250+ a night we expected more.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Renee C
Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Typing this at 1130pm from the bed in my suite on the third floor and there is a party going on down below in the outdoor patio area. I'm no prude, and can appreciate a nice get together, but Management should have stepped in by now. As for the room, they have crammed a lot into a small space. Full fridge, living room area, dining counter, enclosed bath with separate vanity area and two twins plus pull out couch. Not for the claustrophobic as things are tight in here. Early departure in the morning before average breakfast even opens. They have some work to do here.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family