“Nice Property, below average staff encounters. Although would stay again!”

Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Greenville, SC
“Nice Property, below average staff encounters. Although would stay again!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed here one night earlier this month. The condition of the rooms are quite nice with lots of space and modern upgrades and amenities.

Pros:

- Internet Speed
- Water pressure
- Good toiletries
- cleanliness
- was thanked as a Platinum member with a free bottle of water

Cons:

- My room smelled as if it was smoked in, probably a long time ago but still had a lingering odor. It certainly wasn't terrible, but it didn't have a fresh or clean smell, which visually the room had that appearance. (I'm sure they would have switched my rooms if I asked, but for one night I was okay with it).

In summary, I would stay here again if in the area.

On location, everything is fine. About 3 miles from Notre Dame or downtown. There is a Starbucks across the street. If you haven't been to South Bend before, its not really your typical college town. There simply isn't a lot to do there or see.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 10, 2013

There were many small issues at this hotel that turning into an overall unsatisfactory stay that caused me to rate it poorly. 1st if another person on the hotel staff used the “excuse” that “this is an extended stay hotel” I was going to lose my mind. Here is the list of issues: 1st No luggage racks in the room (while one front desk gentleman went from empty room to room looking for one which was nice of him) there were none to be found, this would have been the 1st occurrence of “extended stay hotel” comment. Just because it is a suite hotel you should still supply one, I had nowhere to my suit case. Which was annoying I ended up putting on the floor in kitchen! 2nd the Wi-Fi is totally annoying. If you devise shut down or when into sleep mode for just a nano-second you had to log back in again with the password and everything. 3rd and most likely one of the biggest issues. My room didn’t even have the “light” housekeeping. I’m Platinum with InterContinental hotels and I didn’t even get this service as it states I should get daily regardless of my status. It’s right there on the placard in the bathroom area. It states: “We will do light housekeeping daily which includes making the bed, replacing towels and emptying the trash”. None of this occurred. BUT My 2 co-workers who were on the road with me this week had their rooms cleaned every day and experienced none of my issues. Why was I the exception? This would be the next occurrence of someone giving me the “extended stay” comment; it was a very rude desk female desk clerk with glasses. She seemed personally offended that I ask for such a thing, and what does extended stay have to do with it? I know at the Candlewood properties they don’t clean or do housekeeping everyday but We know that going in when staying at one. I hate to harp on the point but being Platinum for going on 9 years I expect some level of service. 4th of all is “light” or “diet” breakfast yogurt. I’m allergic to NutraSweet so I can have nothing diet, which seems to be an issue at lots of hotels lately. It’s more of an inconvenience than anything else but still added to my dissatisfaction. And finally, as is a problem with a lot of hotels lately, and just annoys me as a frequent traveler, what good is a 37-40 inch TV if your HD channels don’t work or are hazy or “snowy”. Come on this is such a simple request. I mean the hotel in Des Moines it reviewed recently knew what they were doing. It might only be TV but when you’re stuck in a hotel room it’s a nice perk; need I say a right as a business traveler. This is why I rated this property so low. Plus it’s in South Bend which is just a depressing town. If Notre Dame was not there it would be like staying on downtown Detroit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool in "Kid" season and there is a lot of noise in the hallw...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Duck0830,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I can assure you that your experience is not indicative of the quality and services we are known to provide.

As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. The points you've raised this review will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We value your comments as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
ohio
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here for two nights with my parents in April.The appearance was very nice,the staff very friendly.The rooms were very clean and comfortable.I really enjoyed the breakfast in the mornings,food was fresh and many choices.I loved the location so close to restaurants and very close the the University of Notre dame which we visited nice during our stay.I would stay there again,very nice place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I were a late addition to staying at the hotel during a recent trip to a cousin's wedding, but we were very happy with the hotel. The vast number of complimentary items was surprising: free breakfast buffet (large selection of meats and not just bagels), free evening meals on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and the free laundry.

The pool area (indoors) was very nicely kept up. The room that my wife and I shared was a studio and we enjoyed having the large bed (king). The great room near the lobby was nicely appointed and the theater room was a nice touch.

As to the only reason for not giving a top rating was that the hallways had a strange smell at times, though this smell didn't go into the rooms (thankfully). We also had to have our room keys redone twice while there. The staff was very gracious about getting them re-key'd and it wasn't an issue.

Very attentive staff and the hotel was very close to restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: The larger suites appear to be on each wing of the hotel, while the suites are closer to the middle...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank James R
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family and I stayed At the staybridge hotel in south bend for my cousins wedding. We stayed for a week and had such a wonderful vacation. All of the negative reviews that I read on teipadvisor made me weary about the stay; the rooms smelling like smoke, the rude service ect. I have to say management takes these comments very seriously because there was no smoke evident in the hotel and the service was wonderful. They even accommodated for a early check in and late check out. To our suprise we received free dinner on Tuesday- Thursday and free breakfast every morning. What hotel does that? It's very close to restaurants and grocery stores and Notre dame. Plus the pool and hot tub really were enjoyed by my young kids. All in all I would of loved to stay here for another week.

• Stayed June 2013
Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel was a very pleasant surprise. I’ve stayed in countless Priority Club / Holiday Inn properties over the years, but never before in a Staybridge. Hotel seems brand new (must be – my out of date Garmin couldn’t find it) and is very well maintained. We had a king bedroom with living room. Everything was very clean, and the room was very quiet. It’s one of the rare times I wish I could have stayed longer – my wife and I were only there one night. The breakfast was just fine, and also noticed that there was a ‘movie theater’ in a separate room outside of the lobby. The theater looks cool- had maybe 16 comfortable theater style seats with a big screen and it looked like you could check out movies. We didn’t use it, but I’m guessing would be great if you had a group together for a movie night. Next trip to South Bend, we will definitely stay here! We were quite impressed!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Northeast
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a beautiful, fresh, well-maintained property. Charming brick accents. Welcoming front desk. Great prices (especially if you use Priceline -- they're the only four-star hotel in the Roseland area on Priceline, so if you bid on a four-star in that region, you'll get this Staybridge!). (Be sure not to bid on a hotel near the airport if you are going to visit Notre Dame.) The rooms were nice, very clean.

The only complaint we had was that breakfast didn't begin early enough for the guests on football Saturdays. If you're smart, you will get over to that campus at the crack of dawn (so you can park for free and very close to campus). Lots of people are smart. There were at least a dozen people lurking around the breakfast area before it opened. The food was already out, covered in plastic. Everyone just wanted to grab a piece of fruit or a bagel before dashing out the door. People were sheepishly helping them to coffee in the breakfast room -- in which the lights had not yet been turned out. At one point, the hostess was fed up with the guests, who were circling like sharks, and exclaimed, "Breakfast hasn't started yet!" The thing is, breakfast should start when the guests need it to start. On football weekends, that's about 6:45 a.m. For goodness sake, the hostess was already there. Just flip on the lights and welcome everyone in already! Then you'll have grateful guests instead of disgruntled ones who left hungry, murmuring amongst themselves at the grumpiness of the hostess (who was only doing her job). The manager could observe this scene (as it happens every football Saturday in the fall) for him or herself. Change those breakfast hours!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family