“Wonderful -- except breakfast has GOT to start earlier on football weekends!!”

Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a beautiful, fresh, well-maintained property. Charming brick accents. Welcoming front desk. Great prices (especially if you use Priceline -- they're the only four-star hotel in the Roseland area on Priceline, so if you bid on a four-star in that region, you'll get this Staybridge!). (Be sure not to bid on a hotel near the airport if you are going to visit Notre Dame.) The rooms were nice, very clean.

The only complaint we had was that breakfast didn't begin early enough for the guests on football Saturdays. If you're smart, you will get over to that campus at the crack of dawn (so you can park for free and very close to campus). Lots of people are smart. There were at least a dozen people lurking around the breakfast area before it opened. The food was already out, covered in plastic. Everyone just wanted to grab a piece of fruit or a bagel before dashing out the door. People were sheepishly helping them to coffee in the breakfast room -- in which the lights had not yet been turned out. At one point, the hostess was fed up with the guests, who were circling like sharks, and exclaimed, "Breakfast hasn't started yet!" The thing is, breakfast should start when the guests need it to start. On football weekends, that's about 6:45 a.m. For goodness sake, the hostess was already there. Just flip on the lights and welcome everyone in already! Then you'll have grateful guests instead of disgruntled ones who left hungry, murmuring amongst themselves at the grumpiness of the hostess (who was only doing her job). The manager could observe this scene (as it happens every football Saturday in the fall) for him or herself. Change those breakfast hours!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DisneyWorlders

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Staybridge Suites-Notre Dame has been a host property to 2 retreats for us and the service has been AWESOME! Our group loves the comfort and cleanliness of this property. Breakfast is always good and the theater room and pool area is fun. The rooms are great with the frigs and stovetops. Whenever I travel, I will always stay at a Staybridge because I know that they are well kept properties with fabulous amenities.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very clean well taken care of hotel. Rooms were very large. The staff was very nice and helpful. We got answers to all our questions. Check in was quick and I was recognized as an elite member. Rooms were quiet. Beds were comfortable.
Breakfast had a good variety, was fresh, and appetizing. They have a waffle maker (important to kids). Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want extra room get a two bedroom suite. Not much more money
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The rooms were very nice. The pictures that I seen online were true to what you actually got. Very spacious. The hotel was very clean and the customer service was top notch. Free wifi was included and worked quite well. I was pleasantly surprised at the free breakfast, which we had each morning. Lots of options and quite delicious really. The movie room, pool, work out center, and laundry facilities were very nice as well. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Whether it's a short stay or extended. Location was also a huge plus. Many restaurants very close and very convenient to Notre Dame University. 10 out of 10. You will not be disappointed, they deliver as promised in everyway!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stay frequently in the South Bend area on business. This was my first stay at this Staybridge Suites (have stayed at others around the country). This hotel easily meets all my expectations of a good hotel. Clean comfortable rooms, very spacious, ample parking, great location, friendly helpful staff, nice workout area.

My only complaints are that there are about four different addresses listed for this hotel. I tried to order a pizza and they couldn't figure out where the hotel was. Even the address given by the front desk was one they didn't recognize at first. Can you believe it?

Next time I stay in the South Bend area, I will look here first for a reservation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was visiting the Notre Dame area for the weekend and I'm very glad to have found the Staybridge. Location is great, room was clean, bed was cozy.....if I head that way again, I will definitely stay here again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Chose this hotel based on the many good reviews from Tripadvisor guests and that it was rated top 3 in South Bend. What a surprise. The bad service started the day before we left. I called to find out what address to enter into my gps as it wasn't picking up the address on the website. The front desk staff had no clue and ended up giving me the address for a Steak and Shake restaurant! We did find the hotel and waited at the front desk for over 10 minutes as nobody was there manning the desk. This was at 2 or 3 in the afternoon! Finally, somebody comes - no apology for the wait and checks us in. No niceties at all and I am a longtime priority club member. We requested a non-smoking room. We get off the elevator and the smoke hits us in the face like we were walking into a bar. Our room was around the corner from the elevator so it did not smell in there. As it turns out, half of the 4th floor is smoking. It was disgusting. Never once did anybody say hello to us or ask us how our stay was, etc. The staff was never dressed in Staybridge attire - looked like the 'boss' was away during our stay. One of the days the front desk attendant was out front having a 'smoke' and I had no clue that she even worked there until she followed us inside. The breakfast was awful. First morning, at 6:30 am, all of the coffees were empty!! Never once did I see an attendant watching the buffet. The oatmeal was like soup - clearly whoever made this did not care one bit about customer service. The biggest complaint that I have though is that after a 3 inch snow fall upon our arrival, the parking lot was NOT plowed!! I asked about this and the ditz at the desk told me:'oh, maybe I should call and find out where the plow is!'. There was also no decent rugs to wipe our wet feet on after walking through the snow and so all of that water was wiped onto the carpets in the entry way of the hotel. Lots of signs all over the hotel that things were broken - cart in the entry way said:'flat tire'., computer in business center - broken, the theater room was unusable as the dvd player was also broken. One bright spot - our room was very clean so kudos to the housekeeping staff. I travel all over the country and this is NOT a first time stay at a Staybridge Suites - but it certainly was the worst as far as security and customer service. The location is good but all around the hotel are signs of businesses closed up. Desolate area with only fast food places to eat. I would NOT recommend this hotel unless all others are full!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road are probably quieter - however, garbage pickup was late in the evening...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business