“SUPER NICE!!!!!”

Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Loved loved LOVED staying here. Such a beautiful hotel overall! Our room had a full kitchen which we always prize, flat sceen TV with HDMI hookup (love to watch stuff from our computers rather than ordering movies) big confy beds with extra pillows, all the stuff you would need if staying for a bit- they have bigger rooms with separate bedrooms that are EXCEPTIONAL! If we came into town and stayed for buisiness (longer- like a week or more) we would opt for one of those! The rates are reasonable too. Common areas include indoor pool and jacuzzi, theatre room, great room with fireplace, big tv's expanded breakfast offerings, and tues-thurs they have a community dinner setup which they set up and put on a calendar on your fridge in your room!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area

Reviewed November 30, 2011

Hubby & I stayed here the first weekend in November so that we could tour the University of Notre Dame Campus. Short drive to campus & we couldn't have picked a better sunny fall day to do so. Hotel was very clean and seemed new. Staff wsa very friendly and helpful upon late night check-in. Room was very clean, nicely laid out with mini-kitchen (which unfortunately we didn't really get to use) and super-comfy king-size bed with lots of pillows! Room was good size with pull-out sofabed and large tv. Bathroom was good enough size and clean. Hotel had nice layout and very nice open lounge area which was used for the free hot breakfast. Breakfast was usual fair of hot eggs, ham, muffins, bagels & bread for toasting and beverages. Was typical but not quite as good as some of the Holiday Inn Express locations we have stayed at before. Staff was always around and very helpful. Hotel was located close to lots of restaurants and short drive to University Mall, Walmart, & Meijers. Also very close to campus but definitely you had to drive there.
I would definitely recommend to friends and would stay here again next time we visit the area!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Dates of Stay: 21-23 October 2011 (Friday and Saturday nights)
We stayed the weekend of the Notre Dame-USC football game. Last spring, I decided to book a room for this weekend and saw that I could use points and had 30 days prior to stay to cancel so I knew if I didn’t get the football tickets, I could cancel without penalty. About 60 days before the reservation, I noticed a huge charge on my credit card so I called the hotel directly and asked why they charged my card since I was using points. Cynthia, who was on duty that evening, responded that they didn’t allow points for Notre Dame football weekends. I said that I had a confirmed reservation and would call Holiday Inn and let them know about this since I am a Platinum Priority Club member. She asked me to hold on and returned about 60 seconds later that they would allow me to use points and would credit my charge card which they did in less than 3 days. I understand the demand and realize that they want to overcharge all the football visitors like every other hotel within 10 miles, but I think that there should always be 1 or 2 rooms available for loyal guests just like I believe that airlines should always have a few reward seats available as well. That said, there were no other issues about such.
I called the morning of arrival to reconfirm since I didn’t want to show up to no room. All was ok. We arrived just after check in time and were given a choice of rooms on the first 3 floors but not the top floor-not sure why? The first room was on the first floor facing the main highway and next to the side entrance. I went back to the desk and was given a room on the 3rd floor-room #301. It was a one bedroom suite. I won’t describe the room since there are pictures on their web site. The hotel is new, and everything smelled new and was clean. There was only one minor negative about the hotel. On Saturday morning, I noticed a small info card by the bathroom sink that indicated only light housekeeping if not staying for a full week and none on weekends unless a request was made by a certain time on Friday afternoon. I called the front desk and said we would need towels, some amenities like soap and shampoo, and more coffee. No problem-just stop by the front desk. After breakfast, which was very good for this type of hotel-eggs, sausage on Saturday and bacon on Sunday, juices, coffee, pastries, etc., I walked by the front desk since I knew we would not be back at the hotel until almost midnight since this was the first night home game in 21 years. Cynthia, from my phone call about the charge on the credit card, was working and said that she had put me on the list for light housekeeping. I said great. When we returned about 11:30 pm from the football game, there were no towels, no empty trashcans, etc. I walked to the front desk and was told by a very nice gentleman that my room was not on the list. He apologized and gave me some towels, shampoo, and coffee packets.
We decided to walk to the football game since the weather was nice (high 50’s and clear) and are glad we did. We saved a lot of money that we would have had to pay to park on or near campus. We had driven down Friday night, visited the bookstore, and attended the pep rally so we weren’t going to have to carry much on Saturday. Even though I spent four of the best years of my life at Notre Dame, I don’t think I had ever walked across the forested part of the northwest campus. From the hotel, it’s less than a mile to the path the cuts diagonally across the campus and ends up at the grotto. I was expecting a much longer walk but less than 2 miles in total from hotel to grotto. We wandered around the campus and the many new phases as well as the old traditions. There’s a great development just south of campus with a hotel, shops, lofts, and restaurants. Much improvement has been made in that area since I was a student. There’s a new hockey arena and so much more! If you’re in South Bend and want to visit the Notre Dame campus and the weather is nice, it’s a pleasant walk and only adds to the presentation. Also, there a liquor store about 200 yards south of the hotel to grab something to enjoy after your walk once you return to the hotel. We had wine. I put my computer in the trunk for the day and when we left the hotel with the car as well so I didn’t tempt anyone. I think everything was safe, and the car was fine on Saturday night when we returned after the game. A safe in the room would have been nice, especially for an extended stay hotel like this one advertises to be.
After breakfast and getting all our things together on Sunday, we checked out. The guy was surprised that I had used points and said I was lucky. I said I would try again next spring. They also mentioned a 60 day cancellation window, but my reservation clearly stated 30 days. Either way, I get my football ticket results in early July. I am giving this hotel a 4 because there were the few issues mentioned, especially the lack of maid service for short stays. It could easily be a 5. For good public relations, they and the other Holiday Inn properties should offer a few reward night rooms every night, even football weekends. In summary, the location was good, the staff was mostly great, the breakfast did the job, the room was fantastic, the hotel was safe and clean, and I wouldn’t hesitate staying here again or recommending it. Thanks and Go Irish!

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor, especially the front side or by a door
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Ken H, Manager at Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

I couldn't agree with you more about having rooms available for reward night redemptions and most importantly for Platinum Priority Club members as you're our most valuable and loyal guests! I'm sorry to hear about the mix up with your credit card, that was an error on our part. Please feel free to contact me for any of your future booking needs and rest assure you may use your points as long as we have rooms available in the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to leave such an awesome review about our community and our hotel!! I hope to meet you next football season!

Reviewed September 14, 2011

First visit to a Staybridge...lovely, comfortable. Great kitchen in the unit, comfortable bed. Loved the ginger scented bath items. Nice breakfast...lots of protein choices. Fully equipped computer/office area. Only issue is that I wished the windows opened.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

I totally agree with you about not being able to open the windows, this drives me crazy! Unfortunately it's due to a local fire code. Anyhow, thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review!! I love hearing about a guests 1st visit to a Staybridge Suites and I'm excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! The Staybridge Suites is part of the Holiday Inn family and in my opinion is one of it's best kept secrets! Please consider us and the Staybridge Suites brand for all your future travel needs!

Reviewed August 16, 2011

New hotel. Pool and hot tub were great after a long drive. The courtyard area looked nice. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Ken H, General Manager at Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for sharing your experience with us! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will consider us and the Staybridge Suites brand for you future travel needs!

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 12, 2011

This was an excellent hotel, with the smell of newness throughout. Me and my boyfriend said it smelled like it had just opened the day we arrived. I loved it. Friendly staff. Quiet atmosphere. Great rooms and comfy beds. Good breakfast and it wasn't just a continental breakfast. It also has a movie theatre on site and an area by the indoor pool that can be used to grill with a gazebo. Wonderful. This hotel is located near the highway which was a plus since I was there for a funeral that was in Benton Harbor Michigan. About at 40 minute ride, but not that bad. When I return, if I must reside at a hotel again, I will definitely be staying here. I loved it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for leaving a great review! We are sorry to hear of the circumstances surrounding your visit and we’re happy that your stay with us was comfortable. Please come back and see us again!

Reviewed August 6, 2011

The service here is excellent. They graciously upgraded our room when it was obvious we needed more space. The breakfast bar is adequate and well-staffed, and there are the typical amenities like free laundry, fitness, BBQ grilles, and business center.

The problems at this location are construction based. The elevator is ridiculously slow: plan to use the stairs. The doors either stick in their jambs or SLAM! shut. Spackle and paint was literally thrown on the walls in certain spots and left to drip all over the tile. The home theater set-up looked good but was Antarctic cold and drafty, making it impossible to close the doors (our attempt at movie night was somewhat deflated by the happy hour group in the lounge that we were unable to shut out).

So, Staybridge, call back the contractor and demand they go room to room, fix their defects, and allow the facilities of this place to match the service.

Room Tip: Probably best to stay away from rooms facing the cabana, which is noisy until late some days.
2  Thank WilliamHWilliam

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We're sorry that you experienced some obstacles during your stay. We have reviewed your comments in detail and have implemented some solutions for improvement. Thank you again and please consider us and or the Staybridge Suites brand for all your travel needs.