“Excellent Choice for Visiting Notre Dame”

Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend at Notre Dame
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great hotel. Clean and well appointed. Breakfast was great - my favorites were hot waffles and Del Monte grapefruit slices! Nice breakfast area for hanging out. Location is great - right across the street from Notre Dame and adjacent to a nice little shopping/restaurant area. All of that said, we have been there twice on a non-football weekend and rates were reasonable (I think around $179). I don't think it would be worth football weekend prices (around $400). Yikes.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Jonale H, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend at Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and are also glad to hear you enjoyed our hot breakfast. We strive to ensure your stay was pleasant and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Most reasonably prices Indiana hotels are worn out as are their staffs
The Fairfield / Notre Dame is a welcome contrast and is very well run!
First it is super clean and the staff is as welcoming and eager to help, one would believe they are in the far eats. Good attitudes.
My two demands for a hotel room are a firm bed and a generous shower They score A+ on both counts
Their rooms are modern and easy to operate. In short you do not need a Ph.D to use the TV or lights.... or shower sounds familiar Hoteliers are going high tech and the guests are FORCED to comply/ suffer.

They are across the street from a good shopping center and a few yards from many restaurants … their breakfast was included in my room rate and was hot and tasty

Hard to complain and I am quite a critic

PTB Honolulu (former Chicago hotelier)

Room Tip: Ask for a room location what serves your needs..in advance and phone if running late and get the n...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Samantha D, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend at Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear ptb2929,

Thank you for reviewing our property, we appreciate the positive feed back! We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay while at our property and gave us an A+ for our beds and showers. Thank you again for your review. We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future!

Happy Traveling,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

First off, the location is perfect for conducting business or atteniding events at ND. The exterior and lobby was very impressive. As for the rooms, they are very typical or Fairfield Inns. The furniture is fairly worn and I felt the rooms were pretty small. The thing that really blew my mind was the lack of outlets. This hotel opened in 2010 and I know tablets were just coming out then, but laptops, netbooks, and smart phones were prominent in 2010. I am surprised that they did not have more outlets in the room. I stayed there w/ my wife (2 ipads and 2 iphones). We had these devices all of the room (including the bathroom) to ensure we can charge these devices.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Samantha D, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend at Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear imabuki,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We greatly appreciate the feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you found our furniture to be worn and that there weren’t enough outlets in your guest room. We know that locating outlets and light switches in guest rooms can be tricky at times with so many different layouts in different properties. For example, the lights on either side of the bed have two outlets located on the base. We are more than happy to help you locate an outlet or light switch, even an extension cord or power strip if needed. We would like to look into the wear on the furniture; if you would contact us on property we will definitely investigate the matter. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you and your wife in the near future.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed at this property earlier this week while traveling through the area. The hotel is very nice, clean, and modern. The staff was especially friendly and seemed happy to serve. My GPS must have been off as it sent me the wrong way. A phone call to Morgan quickly guided me in to a wonderful check-in. The room was great and I had an excellent sleep. Breakfast was just as good as you are able to make your own fresh belgian waffles on their self-serve griddle. Mine came out fantastic and the other items were fine too. I would not hesitate to stay here again if I were in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Samantha D, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend at Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Trip117,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property, we love getting all the feed back we can from our guests! We are completely thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. It is wonderful that you enjoyed our breakfast, and we hope that you have the opportunity to come back and enjoy our NEW HOT breakfast buffet, no worries we are keeping the waffles-we know our guests love them! Thank you again for your review!

Happy Travels,

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed 2 night at this hotel in March to visit my daughter, at ND. I flew into Midway Airport in Chicago. It's a very easy 2 hour drive, however the address doesn't exist on the GPS. Once I arrived, the check -in was easy and the front desk person was very pleasant. Of course, it wasn't a football weekend so it was relatively empty. The free continental breakfast was better than I had expected. I was on the 5th floor the elevator was fast and the room was big and clean. The hotel is within walking distance to ND campus & football stadium and about 1 block away from restaurants on Eddy Street. I will be back, but probably not on football weekend- very, very expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Samantha D, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend at Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Fencingmomx2,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. It saddens us that the GPS was not showing our location, and we are sure it caused you some frustration. This is something we continue to work on as maps and technologies get updated. It is lovely that you found our complimentary continental breakfast to exceed your expectations; we are preparing to roll out our NEW HOT BREAKFAST in April. It is something that the staff and management here are very excited to be able to offer our guests. So hopefully the next time that you are in town we will have the opportunity to serve you and your family again, and you can let us know how our New Breakfast is! Thank you again for your review.
Happy Travels,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Spent two nights here for leisure in February 2013 to attend a sporting event on Notre Dame's campus. This was my fourth overnight trip to South Bend but my first stay at this hotel after staying at other Marriott-family properties nearby.

As most, if not all, other reviewers noted, you cannot beat the location of this hotel for any trip purpose related to Notre Dame, and that is clearly the hotel's main selling point. Located adjacent to the south edge of the Notre Dame campus, you are but minutes' walking time to many of their athletic facilities, including Notre Dame Stadium, the Compton Family Ice Arena, and the Joyce Center. There are several dining options close by in the Eddy Commons complex of which the hotel is a part, and the entirety of the Mishawaka/South Bend area is easily reachable by car.

Public areas of the property are very nicely appointed (the hotel opened in 2010) and are a step up from what I consider the "standard" Fairfield decor. There are also local touches to the decor in both the public areas and the guestrooms. The continental breakfast was standard Fairfield fare but was well-maintained during both mornings. In an unusual twist, the dining area was actually larger than most and is probably the first dining area I've seen in a Fairfield that isn't too small. There is an indoor pool (no whirlpool) (limited hours daily) and exercise room (24 hours) onsite. I don't recall seeing any publicly-available computers, but the in-room Guest Services Guide mentions the front desk will print, copy, and fax things for you (there's no mention of a charge for said services).

My one complaint about the property would have to be the size of the rooms--particularly the King rooms, which, in addition to being small, might also not include bathtubs (mine had only a shower stall--a large one, but only a shower stall nonetheless). As a Gold Elite member, I wouldn't have expected to get placed in a smaller King room were there actually King rooms whose only characteristic difference was that they were larger than what I was in, drawing me to this conclusion. There is barely enough room along the wall for two nightstands, the bed, and a chair, and the chair looks shoehorned into the area, jammed in as an afterthought. I am guessing that most rooms here are double-doubles to accommodate families. In most Fairfields, the size of the King room I'm in here would have been a Queen room.

I did not care for the mattress at all and awoke with a backache on both mornings. Power outlets were plentiful, the complimentary "Hi Speed Lite" wi-fi worked well, and there were a decent number of television stations. The sleeping area of the room was well-maintained, as was the bathroom with the exception of the shower floor, which was dirty. We were in a corner room and heard nothing from anyone immediately above us, with only one brief moment of hearing others in the room next to us early one evening. Staff were wonderful to deal with, from registration to check out.

Given the premium rates one is paying for the location, I may or may not return here for future trips when you consider I can stay in a larger, nicer room at the Courtyard in Mishawaka (3.5 miles away) for perhaps $40-$50 less a night or get a 2-room suite at that Mishawaka Courtyard for just a bit more than what I paid here. I drive to South Bend, so for me, driving to campus is not an issue. Do consider this, but don't let this fact alone dissuade you from staying at this property.

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms face north, overlooking the Notre Dame campus.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank jsterben
Samantha D, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend at Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear jsterben,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our many amenities. We do have a small, but ample, business center located in our main lobby near our meeting space, but are always more than happy to assist with any print, fax or copy needs at no cost.

We are sorry to hear that the size of our guest rooms inconvenienced you, all of our standard rooms are the same square footage and then all of the suites are the same square footage to our knowledge. We will do our best to look into what we can do with the layout of the room to make it more accommodating. Yes, it is true that only a few of our guest rooms have bathtubs, which was a design feature that most of the newer Fairfield Inns have switched to. We would be more than happy to ensure that you are in a room with a bathtub during your next stay, if that is what you prefer.

We would also like to apologize for your uncomfortable sleep due to the mattress in your room as well as the shower floor, if you would please contact us directly we would like to make sure that we get this resolved. We know sometimes because of the tile pattern and color the shower floor can look “dingy” but in any case we definitely want to look into both issues to ensure that each and every room is up to par for you and all guests.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to hear from you soon and also to have the opportunity to accommodate you and your guests in the near future!

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel. Everything was excellent - Staff, Room, etc. The only thing is that it's tough to find using a Navigation system. For some reason, even though the hotel has been there for about 2 years, the address doesn't exist. Now that I've been there, I'll be easy to find it again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank HarkinBanks
Samantha D, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend at Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear HarkinBanks,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, we appreciate all feedback that we receive from our valuable guests. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property. It is displeasing to find that you had difficulty locating us. We are currently in the process of ensuring that all maps and navigation systems have our property loaded correctly. Unfortunately, this is a lengthy process that involves much follow up to ensure that everything is done in a timely manner. We understand that this can be frustrating for our guests, but please know that we are doing everything within our power to ensure the issue is corrected. Thank you again for your review we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Regards,