“Rude staff, lousy hotel”

La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bend
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Chicago, Illinois
“Rude staff, lousy hotel”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed here recently and was majorly disappointed. Was not expecting a "nice" hotel, just a decent one, but we didn't even get that. They screwed up our room reservation and only booked us for the wrong number of nights, despite the fact that I had called earlier to confirm our reservation. (I had called to confirm because the woman who booked the room seemed so confused and incompetent. I counted, and I had to repeat the dates I wanted 8 times because she didn't understand, and yet she still didn't get it right.) We were there as part of a wedding, and the bride herself called to try to straighten it out and they assured her it would be taken care of, but when we spoke with the desk clerk later she acted as though she had no clue what we were talking about, so the earlier employee had obviously not changed our reservation as she promised. They gave us a smoking room when we asked for non-smoking. When we called the desk to ask about getting switched the woman was extremely rude and told us it must have been our fault for not asking for the right thing when we reserved. We asked to speak with a manager and were told that one wasn't available and wouldn't be for entire the length of our stay. We asked who was in charge and were told "no one". OK....? One desk clerk was at least friendly, but she couldn't tell us whether there was a drug store nearby or give any directions about getting to a grocery store. The room itself was pretty mediocre. I've stayed in dirtier hotels, but I've most hotels I've stayed in were way cleaner! Mildew all over the shower, the floor wasn't vacuumed very well. Everything was quite old in the room--bath fixtures, mattress, curtains, etc. The wall paper was falling down all over the place and was stained. Unfortunately it was a home football game weekend so hotel prices all over town were jacked up, and this place was no exception. My expectations for this hotel were really not high to begin with, but this was just lousy in every way.

1 Thank nobigdeal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Greenwood, VA
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My wife and I were mid-way thru a 1700 mile week-end trip to see Mom at a nursing home. It was mid-night, we were exhausted and a Notre Dame home game ended less than 4 hours earlier. We were thankful to pull off the road. The interior appears to have been updated or repaired, but......
the bathroom had several moldy places around the tub and sink, the towels were the smallest, cheapest towels I've ever seen. The showerhead was so restricted that it barely allowed more than a drizzle. We wished we had brought along our own sheets. As the sun shimmered across the pool the next morning, a lot of floating hair was easily visible. On the upside, the room and our car were safe. The beds were comfortable enough to sleep in. But we won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Not a lot of early traffic outside the hotel on week-ends, so get a room away from the pool and the...

Travelers are raving about these South Bend hotels

Hamilton. Ontario
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. There was a terrible smell throughout the hote, the taps in the bathroom dripped all night. The carpets were threadbare and you could see through them. The wallpaper was falling off the walls. I complained to the woman at the desk in the morning and she just laughed at me and walked away. I have lodged a complaint with Expedia who booked the hotel for me.

Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My wife and I wanted a cheap hotel so that we can get on the plane the next day for our honeymoon, we got in the room used it to change for the wedding, my bride and I came back to the room after the wedding and actually got a look at the room, the water damage on the ceiling the wallpaper falling off the wall, the jetted tub with rust coming out of the jets, the hanging wires from where the smoke detector used to be, and a fridge that didnt work, So instead of staying at the hotel we drove the 40 minutes home instead of staying in this nasty hotel, most of the rooms that said non smoking smelled like smoke on the second floor as well, NEVER AGAIN!!!

Room Tip: Spend the extra 15 dollars and go down the road, less than a half mile are a couple nicer hotels
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James1011
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My sister and I stayed her as it was very late. We were on our way to Shipshewana. First the carpet was filthy and (1) of the beds had blood on the side and top of mattress. (Had to check for bed bugs) Sheets were discolored. Wall paper was falling off the walls. My sister end-up up sleeping in a chair. I slept with my clothes on. The people that did stay here shared how horrible there rooms were. If it had not been so late we would have cut our loses and left. Seriously a health inspector should do a walk through of the place. Suprised they stay in business.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Pekin, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The room was cery clean. Everything was clean and the beds were very comfortable. great pillows and linen. I highly recommend this motel. They were running a summer special that was great. $$ off the regular rate that made this a super deal.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed July 21, 2011

After reading the reviews I was more than a little scared about staying here. I booked as an "unpublished" rate hotel through expedia. I about booked another one not to have to stay here.

The hotel and room were clean. No complaints. I did wear my shoes around the room but I'm a bit of a germaphobe.

Another positive is that the rooms are HUGE!!

I would stay here again - it was fine and cheap.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple