See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 18, 2017

Good place. Clean. I believe it is being slowly upgraded, but I cannot tell for sure since I was up there for only one visit. Amenities were fine. I would not change much in that regard. They of course raise prices during Notre Dame football weekends.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2017 via mobile

Bummer that I have to leave a negative review, but, frankly, this place needs an overhaul. The only reason I didn't give them a 1-star was because their staff was always very friendly. Beyond that, THUMBS DOWN. The pool was small and did not provide a welcoming atmosphere; not to mention the water was ice cold. Next, a TINY lobby, consisting of 2 chairs in a tiny room. I felt lucky that I checked in before the rush, because I noticed many travelers waiting outside just to get in. The room was outdated, and water pressure in the shower was weak. The beds were hard as concrete. I wished I had spent another $25/night for a nicer hotel. There were plenty nearby this extended dump, that looked much nicer.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled with family
kkeb1988, Director of Sales at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2017

Dear Scott D.,

Thank you for taking the time to complete an online review regarding your recent stay with The Suburban Extended Stay Hotel.

I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. As our manager explained, we just filled the pool with fresh water for the major event weekend. It takes at least a few hours before the pool can reach a comfortable temperature for swimming after being filled. The pool was back to normal functioning by the evening and I hope your party was able to enjoy it.

With us being an extended stay hotel, we do not have a large lobby or breakfast area. We do offer the pool room, outside terrace and an outside picnic area that are better suited for large group gatherings.

Many of our guests have complimented how comfortable our beds are, I apologize that this was not the case for you. Had you made the front desk aware, we would have been more than happy to move you to a different room with a more comfortable bed.

Kellie K.
Director of Sales
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, South Bend

Reviewed April 24, 2017 via mobile

I don't even know where to begin with this review.

If you are looking for a hotel in South Bend area - this is NOT it. No seriously, if you have a choice between sleeping in your car or staying in this hotel. Sleep in your car and save your money.

Upon entering the room and reading some of the other reviews about bed bugs I went to task of looking to ensure there were none. I didn't find anything (thankfully) but did find a whole bunch of white powder - not sure if it was poison or something else. I should have had gloves on though because I had to immediately go to the front desk to request the bed linens be changed. There was so many "stains" on the bedding that I wouldn't have slept in that particular bed if you paid me.

The hotel is listed as a non-smoking property - could have fooled everyone in our party. The smell of smoke permeates the building, the hallway and most rooms. The room we stayed in looked like something out of one of those "Hi, I'm Chris Hansen with Dateline, why don't you sit over there..." tv shows. Sketchy sums it up in a word.

The bathroom is equipped with one of those plastic racks you find in some garages, the caulking around the sink looked like the contractor was wearing a blindfold and the shower floor was cracked (literally, my foot fell thru the shower floor). The shower faucet in my room sprayed water from the main pipe but not from the shower head. Instead it shot out like a high pressure sprayer moving the shower curtain which was about a foot off the floor and dumped water all over the bathroom floor.

The hotel proudly displays a small plaque that shows the groundbreaking of the hotel was in June 2008. From the looks of most of the rooms I was in visiting with friends and my own, this hotel looks as if it may have been refurbished in the late 70s or 80s.

I had to go to the front desk at 11:30 at night and tell them to not charge my card for the stay and that I was leaving. I ended up having to move my family to another hotel. Unfortunately because of a large hockey tournament and a large lacrosse tournament being in town the same weekend, I ended up paying through the nose for another hotel room.

Morale of the story. Do not stay here. Save your money.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 20, 2017 via mobile

Just got off the phone with the General Manager of the hotel trying to cancel a reservation. Told her 4 times that we have a DEATH in the family and she WOULD NOT cancel our upcoming reservation. Her reason...reservation was made through a 3rd party.
I guess that means if your Mom, Dad, or child sadly passes away, you will not be able to cancel your reservation if you call the hotel direct.

Stayed: April 2017
1  Thank wmj2000
kkeb1988, Director of Sales at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2017

Dear Mr. Manning,

Thank you for taking the time to complete an online review regarding your recent experience with The Suburban Extended Stay Hotel.

I sincerely apologize for the issue you encountered when trying to cancel your reservation. As we explained to you on the phone, not only was your group reservation set up through a third party, your reservation also had a strict 30 day cancellation policy. You called the hotel the day before arrival to cancel and as we stated, you would need to go through the proper channels to not only cancel the reservation but to avoid the cancellation fee as well. When we have a group block as large as yours on a special event weekend we have to follow the procedures to ensure the rooms are filled as agreed upon in your contract.

We were able to cancel the reservation without a fee and I sincerely hope you recognize our efforts. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Kellie K.
Director of Sales
Suburban Extended Stay, South Bend

Reviewed March 4, 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for a few days while working about 3 hours from home. With 12-15 hr days at work it's good to have a nice clean bed to sleep in. Unfortunately this wasn't the place to find such a thing. The bathroom was dirty with dirt in the corners, the television was small, maybe 25", the light bulbs in the room were different colors, between day light and soft white bulbs. But the bedding, that's where I drew the line. At the very least, have clean un-stained bedding. You can be the judge from the picture.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled on business
TAWN B, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2017

The staff at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel would like to thank you for your business. We know there are several different lodging options in the area and we are pleased that you chose us to serve you.

Here at Suburban Extended Stay we strive to ensure our guest experience the best visit possible during their travels. It was brought to my attention that you encountered a cleanliness/repair issue upon checking into your studio suite. I truly apologize for this, my staff and I, strive to ensure that each of our guest studio suites is safe, sanitary, and clean. I am sorry we failed to meet you expectation. I have taken the liberty and provided you with a free night certificate, I know this doesn’t change what happened, but I hope it does ease your mind, please give me a call at (574) 968-4737 so that I may further discuss this issue.