“Asked for a complimentary upgrade, and GOT IT!”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham South Bend/At Notre Dame
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Waterford, Michigan
“Asked for a complimentary upgrade, and GOT IT!”
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Booked online through Expedia. Location was important, and I paid $100 a night three weeks ago to stay at the Ramada downtown (don't recommend). This was an important trip and I wanted to make sure my room was reserved, so I called in the morning and found out that it was; and, for the hell of it I said I may be a 5 night a month resident (which is true), and asked for a complimentary upgrade. I was told that probably wouldn't be possible over the phone and that was fine. When I arrived, I did get the upgrade!

Staff was very friendly and accomodationg. Only drawback is the hotel houses travelling NCAA atheletes and can be pretty noisy at night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Very pleasantly surprised! Clean, big room with a flat screen TV. Only drawback was distance to restaurants - they were a good 10 minutes away.

• Stayed September 2010
Rockville, MD
Reviewed August 25, 2010

We arrived late in the evening after a nine hour drive to drop our son off at college and found the hotel had no record of our confirmed reservation (apparently due to a computer glitch between Expedia and Microtel). The hotel was sold out as were all the comparable hotels in the vicinity. Gerri went out of her way to prepare a room for us (that technically was not available due to a lack of a door knob) and worked with us happily even though we were obviously upset and frustrated at the situation. The hotel then gave us a new room for the next two nights and honored Expedia's rates. Five stars for customer service and Gerri!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Freehold, NJ
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Check in went smoothly, the receptionist was friendly, helpful, and generous (I wanted a fridge, but my price room did not have one, so, since the hotel had availability, she upgraded us). The room was nicely decorated, quite spacious and very well appointed, as nicely as a much more expensive hotel room. Free breakfast with waffles, cereals, toast, pastry.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
CT
Reviewed June 29, 2010

On a cross-country trip, I made an advance reservation for a one-night stay on Thursday, June 3. The hotel is in very good condition and I was satisfied – until being awakened at 3:15 A.M. with blood on my temple and my body and night clothes covered by bedbugs. There looked to be literally hundreds of them in the white-colored bedding.

The night clerk came up immediately and helped me relocate to another room. I was in 310. I could not sleep further and after painstakingly searching my bags and clothes for other bugs, I left the hotel by 6 A.M. The manager was not yet on duty, but the clerk offered to comp my stay.

However, this is not about money. This is about treating customers right. I was not contacted by the hotel manager or anyone else following my dreadful experience. As such, my next stop was at the South Bend health department to report the incident in the hope that other travelers do not repeat what happened to me.

I also provided information about my experience to Microtel HQ through their website and received a form reply stating the hotel is locally owned. All they did was provide the name and street address of the manager.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
microtelsb, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham South Bend/At Notre Dame, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Unfortunately the whole nation of hotels has been hit with a bed bug epidemic and a guest carried in that surprise to us. We are happy to announce that the issue was remedied shortly after that incident and we are bed bug free! Pest control now inspects the property on a regular basis.

Travelers are raving about these South Bend hotels

Reviewed June 21, 2010

Newly remodeled, clean, friendly, affordable, AAA, right off hwy, flat screen, comfy beds! Only down is no smoking rooms...

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank LaurenML6
Strongsville, Ohio
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Stopped for an overnight stay on our way to Chicago. The hotel was clean and comfortable, located right off of the turnpike. It was better than I expected for the money and we are now fans of Microtel's. They do not offer a ton of choices for breakfast or provide fancy tolietries (No hair conditioner!), but still offer and clean place to stay for a great price. We will stop back the next time we pass through South Bend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family