“Decent!”

Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Shipshewana
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: When the newly built Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery opened it doors on August 4th, 2001 in Shipshewana, the entire town was invited over for dinner. As one of Indiana's largest restaurants, the Blue Gate comfortably seats 600 (more than the town's population). Built to reflect the surrounding community, the Blue Gate resembles a rambling white farmhouse, similar to those that dot the surrounding Amish coutnryside.An award winning restaurant serving a world famous Family-style meal that features pressure fried chicken and 3 other meats, real mashed potatoes, Amish noodles, plus lots of other sides and 25 varieties of pies to choose from
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I was in the mood for some homemade cooking and this did not disappoint. The place was very busy but seating was efficient--probably took less than three minutes, despite being told 10 minutes. I had the turkey dinner and although it was not the slices I expected (it was more like pulled pork, but turkey) it had a lot of flavor, although I certainly did not need to put any salt on it. Mashed potatoes and gravy were fine, along with the dressing. Just simple cooking. My husband got a burger and onion rings and they were average. The little loaf of bread was very tasty. After walking around and shopping, we went back and bought a pecan pie to take home.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We love the food here! It is much better than the Essen Haus. Some Amish servers also work here. Bathrooms are huge and clean! Our nieces were here for the first time with us and loved it!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Amish are famous for Chicken and Noodles and this version didn't disappoint! There is a shop and bakery where you can find all sorts of the best trouble: homemade noodles, pies, fudge, apple butter and much more. A small selection of souvenirs but the store will make your mouth water - eat first!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

On a recent visit to Shipshewana we stopped in at the Blue Gate for an early dinner. First of all the wait for a table was about 30 minutes. A large packed full room awaits you! The service is fair and the little loaf of bread is the highlight of the meal! Their menu has pictures of wonderful looking food, what they serve is nowhere near the pics! I ordered the chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes, the picture shows lots of chunks of white chicken atop noodles and mashed potatoes. There is more chicken in a bowl of Campbells chicken noodle soup than I received, the noodles with gravy is tasteless. I did ask about the chicken and I was brought out an additional bowl of noodles still no chicken chunks. The other meals that were ordered were small portions with a need for serious seasoning. We followed up with slices of pie, the crust was mass produced store bought and the filling scarce. Beware of this restaurant. Totally overrated!!!! Drive the few extra miles to Esserhaus

3  Thank Elvisfan1954
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This restaurant offers excellent family style dining at a reasonable cost. The food was well prepared and tasty, while I was very impressed with the attentiveness of the waitstaff. We found this dining experience one to be remembered. We will return.

1  Thank General20