“Wonderful chicken dinner & great service”

Blue Gate Restaurant and Bakery
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Shipshewana
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Description: When the newly built Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery opened it doors on August 4th, 2001 in Shipshewana, the entire town was invited over for dinner. As one of Indiana's largest restaurants, the Blue Gate comfortably seats 600 (more than the town's population). Built to reflect the surrounding community, the Blue Gate resembles a rambling white farmhouse, similar to those that dot the surrounding Amish coutnryside.An award winning restaurant serving a world famous Family-style meal that features pressure fried chicken and 3 other meats, real mashed potatoes, Amish noodles, plus lots of other sides and 25 varieties of pies to choose from
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Their fried chicken is pressure cooked, and is absolutely wonderful. The dinner comes with all the trimmings, I had the sweet potato casserole and baked apples--both were really delicious. The sevice was great. It was a really enjoyable lunch. They also have a great baker located in the same building as the restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,465)

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We visited the Blue Gate for the first time and even though the quality of the food was very good, we did not feel that the menu reflected true Amish cooking. Prices also seemed to be on the high side. However, we chose the chicken salad for lunch and it was excellent.
We did visit the adjacent Blue Gate Bakery and purchased pie and breakfast items "to go" at reasonable prices.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I will eat ham....in a sandwich smothered by cheese, mustard, mayo and salami. That is it...I don't enjoy ham otherwise. So I was a little adventurous ordering the country sampler which included ham....after all I could always give it to my wife. Well this old dog learned a new trick; the ham, as well as the rest of the meal was a 5 out of 5! If all the ham in the world was like the ham at the Blue Gate, I would become a hamaholic.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We ate dinner here before attending a concert down the road at the Town Center theater. The wait staff are so efficient and fun to watch. Our waitress, Elizabeth was very attentive and fast. There are three dining rooms and they were all busy when we came but we got right in. The food was so tasty, for a large establishment, I thought it might be sort of homogonized and bland. Not so.
Downstairs is a fine gallery of paintings and art for sale.
The bakery was next door and we stopped the next morning(it opened at 7 a.m.) to take home some of the wheat bread. Altogether, this was a much better experience that I had expected at a place that caters to large bus crowds. We will definitely return.

1  Thank muskratroadtroupe
Reviewed May 23, 2013

A bit critical because of the let down over the hype. I had the fried chicken with all white meat, mashed potatoes with gravy and chicken stuffing. The chicken was dry tough and included dark meat. I brought it to the waitresses attention and she brought 2 more pieces of white meat with in seconds, telling me that the food is not cooked fresh but sitting under a heat lamp. The potatoes were genuine, the gravy stingy but the dressing was good. Service was good.