“Just Ok”

Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Shipshewana
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Description: When the newly built Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery opened it doors on August 4th, 2001 in Shipshewana, the entire town was invited over for dinner. As one of Indiana's largest restaurants, the Blue Gate comfortably seats 600 (more than the town's population). Built to reflect the surrounding community, the Blue Gate resembles a rambling white farmhouse, similar to those that dot the surrounding Amish coutnryside.An award winning restaurant serving a world famous Family-style meal that features pressure fried chicken and 3 other meats, real mashed potatoes, Amish noodles, plus lots of other sides and 25 varieties of pies to choose from
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have eaten at restaurants in the other Amish areas of Holmes County, Ohio and Lancaster, Pennsylvania which, for us, were better. This wasn't "not good" food but was not the most tasty either. The restaurant itself is large, clean and very nice inside, our server was friendly and they service a large number of customers.

The only menu item I can comment on is the fried chicken because that is what my wife and I both ordered. The fried chicken I have had in the other Amish areas is normally broasted and is the best I have ever eaten and I incorrectly assumed this would have been the same thing and it wasn't, but to their credit they didn't advertise it as being broasted either and the diners around us appeared to be enjoying whatever it was they were having.

Overall, our 2pc and 4pc chicken meals were ok but I thought the sides of chicken stuffing and mashed potatoes & gravy portions were a bit on the small size from what I'm used to. Our bill total, including my wife's lemonade (no desserts), came to $27.73.

It is unlikely we will return to this area again but if we were to, I would likely give another restaurant a try.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,483)

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I got tickets to the Guy Penrod concert and also the play that the Blue Gate Theatre presented. This came with a special offer for the Family Style dinner. We chose to have the dinner on Saturday afternoon. We got chicken, roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables, noodles, salad, bread, dessert, tea/coffee and this special included the tip and tax. What a great amount of food for $15.00 each.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Food was nothing special and pricey, but still a place you should go to if you're doing the tourist thing.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Baked items are yummy (cinnamon rolls, cookies). The restaurant has a fair amount of choices and great local choices.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

stuffin was watery otherwise the family style meal was very good and the service was excellent will definately go again