“Great Food, Superior Service”

Blue Gate Restaurant and Bakery
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Shipshewana
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Description: When the newly built Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery opened it doors on August 4th, 2001 in Shipshewana, the entire town was invited over for dinner. As one of Indiana's largest restaurants, the Blue Gate comfortably seats 600 (more than the town's population). Built to reflect the surrounding community, the Blue Gate resembles a rambling white farmhouse, similar to those that dot the surrounding Amish coutnryside.An award winning restaurant serving a world famous Family-style meal that features pressure fried chicken and 3 other meats, real mashed potatoes, Amish noodles, plus lots of other sides and 25 varieties of pies to choose from
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This is a "Don't Miss" place to eat while in Shipshewana, In.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We enjoyed eating at Blue Gate overall. We had a difficult time deciding whether to eat there or go to Middlebury's Das Essenhaus, which we ended up going to also (see reviews). My husband and I both got the cod special (Lent). The fish was good and firm, not really crisp on the outside though, not the best I've ever had but quite good. I got a side of the chicken and noodles because I wanted to try them after another reviewer raved about them. I didn't like them at all. Lots of Egg-y flavor (they were egg noodles after all) but needed gravy or something over them. The kids meals were plentiful and came with a cookie. My daughter raved that the mashed potatoes tasted just like mommy's (which is a huge compliment). The pies were delightful. Flaky crust, rich fillings. We got the chocolate/heath and raspberry cream and shared them. We stopped on the way out and bought bakery food for the cabin. Cinnamon rolls were good but kinda dry and a ridiculous amount of frosting. Snickerdoodles were dry too and more sugar cookie-ish, less cinnamon tart flavor. The seating there is alot like a cafeteria, which I didn't really like. Seems like a lot of people crammed into a room. Overall we enjoyed it and will go back for a meal when we visit shipsie again, but I don't think I'm going to be craving it. (however see my review on das essenhaus!)

Reviewed April 8, 2012

You will findgood food and lovely service at this restaurant. You cannot beat the pie!

1  Thank loubeeb
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This is the best place to eat in Shipshewana (in my opinion!) All of their food is amazing - their breakfast buffet is better than any buffet I have ever had. Tables & tables of food!!! Their pot roast tastes like Mom is in the kitchen making it for you!!! Their pies.... whoa!!! Try the sugar cream pie - it is the BEST!!!

1  Thank Bick92
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a Friday dinner at the Blue Gate. She had chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes (Amish specialty). I had the grilled meatloaf sandwich. Though the restaurant was busy, our order was quickly taken and promptly served by a courteous and friendly waitress. The food was not fancy or flashy, but wholesome and fresh, and tasty. Portions were ample. Just what you would expect in Amish country. They had a fellow playing the piano in the lobby while we waited, sounded like church hymns! Also, plenty of souvenir type items and a bakery to browse while you wait.

1  Thank rkram