“Awasome!!”

Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Shipshewana
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: When the newly built Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery opened it doors on August 4th, 2001 in Shipshewana, the entire town was invited over for dinner. As one of Indiana's largest restaurants, the Blue Gate comfortably seats 600 (more than the town's population). Built to reflect the surrounding community, the Blue Gate resembles a rambling white farmhouse, similar to those that dot the surrounding Amish coutnryside.An award winning restaurant serving a world famous Family-style meal that features pressure fried chicken and 3 other meats, real mashed potatoes, Amish noodles, plus lots of other sides and 25 varieties of pies to choose from
Reviewed July 16, 2011

The food here was GREAT. I enjoyed every bit. I only had on problem with the restraunt, I couldn't eat everything. I Loved the taste of the roast beef the best. My wife like her food also. My kids even ate everything on their plates.
They bakery was really good too. My wife got cookies for the trip home and they were huge and very soft. The tasted extremly good allso.

1  Thank ironwolf704

Reviewed May 25, 2011

We ate 3 meals here and all were delicious. Best Fried chicken ever! Homemade french dressing made all the salads even more delicous. Great family atmosphere.

1  Thank ksm76
Reviewed February 14, 2011

i try to travel to indiana once a year from ireland to visit my sister who now lives there,one of the first places i want to go to eat is the blue gate, the food is great and their pies are the best especially the banana cream pie,i am returning to indiana this october with my four children and i will visit the blue gate at least twice in the two weeks, roll on october.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

Decided to eat here because many of the reviews here had been very positive. Our experience was not. Our server was pleasant but inconsistent. She looked very tired. Bread was overbaked. Our chicken buffet was cold. We are surmising that it had set in the kitchen way too long as it had taken a significant amount of time to get to us. The chicken and noddles came with no sauce. They were dry and bland with small squares of chicken that looked like it had come from a can. The green beans were plain, too.. The most disappointing was the raspberry cream pie......underbaked commercial pie crust filled with vanilla pudding and a layer of raspberry jam.

We admit that someone in our party should have spoken up about the cold food much sooner. We should have been more assertive. No one though, wanted to spoil the evening with a complaint as we had a guest from NYC with us and were trying to share some of the local fares with him. In our defense, our server also did not return to our table for some time making the opportunity to do so a bit difficult. When we told her, she could only offer us more food which we didn't want. So we reported the cold food problem to the person in charge and all we got was was an apology. We feel a reduction in our bill should have been offere, too.

Therefore, I contacted the operations manager the next day. She was very pleasant and apologized and said that she would send us a gift certificate for another meal. We received a $15 gift card in the mail. Our bill was $80.

My advice...you are taking your chances when eating here. Food is OK, not great. Next time I will make sure that I drive the extra miles to the DAS ESSENHAUS. Food is much better, more authentic, service consistent , and the raspberry cream pie is to die for.

1  Thank MFHoosier
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We came to Shipshewana for a weekend visit and had diner at the Blue Gate. The Food was great, our server was incredible, but most notable was their famous peanut butter spread! We ended up taking 6 jars home. Do yourself a favor and stop at the Blue Gate when you are in Amish Country!!