“Run of the Mill - but Huge”

Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market
Ranked #4 of 14 things to do in Shipshewana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market was established in 1922 and is now home of the Midwest's largest flea market, boasting nearly 900 booths. The Flea Market is open every Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 am - 5 pm, from May to the 1st Saturday in October. Visitors can also enjoy the year-round weekly Miscellaneous & Antique Auction (Wednesdays at 9 am) and Livestock Auctions (Wednesdays). Visitors enjoy great food on site at one of our 4 Food Courts or the indoor, sit-down Auction Restaurant and can stay overnight at the Farmstead Inn, our Amish-inspired hotel. Call us for specific hours and special holiday flea market dates. (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Fall Extravaganza)
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Elgin, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Run of the Mill - but Huge”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I expected lots of Amish and local products at this flea market, but that was not the case. We did visit at the tail end of the season, when a lot of the vendors had pulled out already.

3 Thank hazelhedge

Stoughton, Wisconsin
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Not all flea markets are the same”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

On a recent brisk October morning some friends and I planned to go to the Shipshewana Flea Market. Unfortunately this is a totally open-air market and half our group returned to the car because they got too cold. Another market that I go to in Ft. Myers is "under roof" so it makes the weather less important. However, what I did see of this flea market interested me. There were many different vendors than in Ft. Myers. I appreciated the less expensive greeting cards and my friend got a beautiful silver pendant that was sold at half price due to the season's winding down. I'd like to go again when the weather is nicer.

5 Thank Park2214
Winterset, Iowa
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“fun”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

we were there in the slow or off season period and really enjoyed it. My wife says we are definately going back next summer prime time I really didn't see any one thing that stands out but when put together it was a lot of fun.

1 Thank x000n46n
Holland, Michigan
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“No crowds!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Recently visited the flea market and found there were fewer vendors but also fewer people on the grounds. It was easy to make your way from one vendor to the other and lots of room to shop. Some of the vendors were also marking down their merchandise and I found a bargain! The temperature was just right on a beautiful sunny fall day. Would definitely go again in October.

1 Thank Gayle K
Cincinnati, OH
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great fun, even in the rain!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was one of the highlights of our visit. We didn't have the chance-with the rain-to cover all of the market but we certainly saw a great many stalls. I bought 2 pairs of reading glasses that were also sunglasses and I love them ($6 each). We all found something to buy! Many unusual items-along with some junk-and we had a great time wandering the market. I would definitely return again.

Visited July 2013