“Were not very happy with our experience”

Super 8 Shipshewana
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Shipshewana
Reviewed January 21, 2010

My husband and I had stayed here a few years ago and decided to come back again because of the economical price. We were both very disappointed with our stay this time, as it seemed the hotel rooms have not been updated since our last stay. The carpet in our room was stained, and the first thing I noticed was that our bed was short. It sounds odd, but I have never slept in a bed so close to the ground. Another thing that bothered us is that the pillowcases had small stains and our bed was not made very well. We could see the pilling on our mattress when we made the bed. Also, the staff was not very pleasant. We made a decision to try another hotel and decided to try the Amish Country Inn the next night instead. We were amazed at the difference. Yes, it was more expensive, but not by much, and it was well worth it for the wonderful night sleep we had the next night. The Super 8 is an okay place to stay if you are on a tight budget but we will not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank melissasnest
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Shipshewana

Reviewed August 6, 2009

We stayed here in Dec.too. Close to everything. Great breakfast, make your own waffles.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I really can't complain or location. Great for the flea market/ craft fair. Pretty overpriced for the room ammenities, but breakfast was very well appointed for those that like carb. Rooms are older "super 8 furniture". I did have a bit of toothpast on the wall next to the sink. ewww. Staff were overheard, on the two trips I made through the lobby, discussing another guest. Loudly and negatively... very poor form.
Ok hotel, but a bit overpriced for the quality /value of room ammenities. Breakfast very good with several option.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Motel is in a great location for the famous Flea Market and within a 2 block walk to the rest of the shopping center for the town. The free breakfast was very good as those free breakfasts go. The room had one of the most uncomfortable matresses I have ever been on....except for other Super 8 motels. I have been staying at other Super 8's for the last 4 years and the standard night medicine is 3 Tylenol just to sleep thu the night.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Not the best bed. I spent the two nights at Super 8 Motel and the first night was horrible. You could feel all the springs from the bed mattress. The heater was either too warm or too cold. In addition, if one of the other people staying in the hotel closes their door you could hear it in your room. Bad insulation. This motel is not pet friendly. I took my pet and the next day they did an axtra charge to my credit card. In other words, if you take your pet expect an additional $75.00 charge for your pet I guess they use this way to make more money and uses lame exuses to make that charge.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2007

You usually know what to expect when you stay at a Super 8, but this one was above and beyond the average. The hotel is among the cleanest I've seen, the staff is helpful and friendly, the location is excellent, and the continental breakfast rivals ones I have had at Hampton Inns and other more expensive hotels. I would definitely stay here again, and I'm sorry we were only in town for one night because I would have stayed at this Super 8 longer.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed May 8, 2003

This is a nice little motel, with a tiny laundry room that's open 24 hours and a breakfast buffet in the front lobby that includes make it yourself waffles. It's about half a mile from the flea market and auction house. The front desk staff was helpful with advice about what to see and do.

2  Thank swimswithsharks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipshewana
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
Best Western Plus Howe Inn
Travelodge Sturgis
Travelodge Sturgis
#2 of 5 in Sturgis

Been to Super 8 Shipshewana? Share your experiences!