“Disappointed”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Shipshewana
Ohio
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked this hotel without reading any if the other reviews. I noticed that it had a pretty high rating so I thought it would be fine, boy was I very disappointed. First I must say the front desk staff was wonderful. Very nice and helpful. As soon as I entered, I could tell right away that the hotel was in desperate need of updating or at the very least a MAJOR cleaning. You immediately see the stairs going up to the second floor. Very dirty. My room was on the second floor - room 203 to be exact. To say I was very unimpressed as soon as I opened the door would be an understatement. It was dirty and outdated. The first thing I did was remove the bedspread from the bed before I even sat my luggage on it. You could visibly see the stains - like they have never been cleaned. I don't ever use them to sleep with but I didn't feel comfortable setting my suitcase ontop of it. The edges of all the walls had so much dirt and dust along them. The end table had 5 wrappers of some sort behind it. I had to charge my phone and noticed this. The room was 'clean' just looking at it at a quick glance but once entering the room you could take note that they don't throughly clean the room. The flooring is very worn. I could just about see through the bathroom towels. The beds were comfortable. I did throughly check over the bedding before I went to bed. The breakfast was good - nothing spectacular - but decent. They did a wonderful job keeping the food restocked and wiping down the tables as soon as anyone finished. I would not stay in this hotel again unless I knew for sure that it was updated. Appearance and cleanliness are VERY important to me. I expected more for the price of the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Hensall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Window wall was bulged and misshapen due to water damage. Wood frame on window was rotted and some was missing. Towels were old and off colour. Mattress was lumpy and sloped to one side. Unit appeared old and in need of a refit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Decatur, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I wasn't expecting much and Super 8 lived up to it. Room smelled. Everything very outdated and run down. Side door wouldn't lock. Free breakfast marginal. Front desk staff was friendly but printer was down when checked out. Couldn't give us a copy or email final statement.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipshewana
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Howe Inn
Travelodge Sturgis
Travelodge Sturgis
#2 of 5 in Sturgis

Been to Super 8 Shipshewana? Share your experiences!