“Beautiful spot, rooms and amenities.”

The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Shipshewana
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a beautiful spot to stay, just barely outside of Shipshewana. Very quiet spot. The room was beautiful and spotless. Gorgeous wood furniture, custom made to house the refrigerator and microwave were nice touches. HUGE bathroom counter in a 2 queen room, so that everyone could leave their toiletries there. Clothesline in the bathroom which was nice for hanging suits after swimming. Pool is a nice size, was relatively warm, and there was plenty of space on the deck around it. Breakfast was one of the most extensive we have seen included with a room. Biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, pastries, bread, bagels, greek yogurt, juices, etc.

Three things would have made out stay a bit better. When we arrived my husband stood at the front desk for ten minutes and then began wandering the property looking for staff, while leaving our teenage daughter at the front desk in case the staff returned. When he could find no one, I finally tried calling the property, and they answered, and came right to the front desk. The sign at the desk said they were helping a guest, and when I called they said that the were locking up and had taken a call while locking up. I had communicated accurately when we planned to arrive, and if someone isn't going to be there, it would be much nicer if they could leave a bell/phone or something for guests to call a staff person to the front desk. In my humble opinion, 10 minutes is much too long to be left standing and waiting with no clue when someone will return. If this had been the only time, I might have just let it go. But I came looking for front desk staff when our key didn't work, and I waited 5 minutes until staff returned to the desk. Staff was extremely pleasant, but if they have just one person working, they really need to leave us a way to reach that person when we are waiting at the front desk.

My second mention would be the beds. Not sure if they are all like this, but my husband weighs all of about 155 lbs, and when he was on one side of the bed, it took muscles while sleeping not to roll into him. So the bed must be old or not properly supported or something. The bed felt comfortable when we went to bed, but both of our bodies hurt in the morning. And in general, we aren't particularly sensitive to beds.

My third item would be the coffee. Great breakfast, lousy coffee.

One other thing to note, on a Sunday evening the only food available in town is Subway, and a so-so pizza spot. So if you are staying there on Sunday, you might want to eat before you get into town.

3  Thank winniewms
Tonya C, Director of Sales at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to tell others about the many things we offer. We truly appreciate it. I would also like to apologize about the extensive wait time before check-in and the issue with the bed. I hope that experience doesn't deter you and your family from visiting us again in the future. Thank you again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Took a girl's trip to Shipshewana and chose this hotel based on customer reviews. Everything stated in previous reviews is true. The hotel was clean and comfortable. My girlfriend and I enjoyed sitting out at night in the rocking chairs. While the hotel is out of "downtown" Shipshewana it is delightful enjoying the Amish countryside. We enjoyed hearing the Amish carriages on the road (Hwy 5). While we did encounter a slight inconvenience the staff was very nice and accommodating. If we returned to Shipshewana we would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: If you request a room on the south side be sure to check-in early. This way rooms on that side of t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank xboox

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience here at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana. Nothing makes us happier than to hear that a guest plans to stay with us again. I would also like to take this time to apologize for whatever the slight inconvenience was, and am glad to hear that our staff took care of the problem to your satisfaction. Thank you again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Van Buren the night of July 13, along with my brother and his wife. It is a beautiful hotel..absolutely spotless. Our check in was quick..Thank you Rachel..and our room, a king bed suite...was as nice as any place we have ever stayed. The room was beautiful..comfortable. We had lots of fresh, fluffy towels, beautiful linens and a quiet and comfortable room. (335) The Van Buren is close to town, but just far enough away that we were out of the hustle-bustle of the charming Shipshewana shopping area. We ate dinner Saturday night at the Blue Gate Restaurant...which was FABULOUS...we had the very best server ever..Cheri...this was our first visit to Shipshewana, but certainly won't be our last

Room Tip: We were in 335...never heard a sound from any other room...beds were very comfy..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Tonya C, Director of Sales at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

I am so happy to hear that you and your family had a great experience with us. Thank you for taking the time to tell others about it. We certainly hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you back to the Shipshewana area.

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Clean room, friendly staff, nice free breakfast. We got the king whirlpool suite, the whirlpool was great fit two people with plenty of room to spare. Close to town, yet far enough away to be quiet and peaceful. If there is a downside to the place it would be the indoor pool, it was just to small.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Duce97

Thank you for the kind words. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your Whirlpool Suite and complimentary breakfast. And thank you for acknowledging our hotel staff. Our goal is to make our guests feel like they are at their home away from home, and comments like that are proof that we are succeeding. Thanks again, and come back soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My sister and I took my mom to Shipshewana for the weekend. I looked at all the local hotels and bed/breakfast deals. Van Buren offered the ideal floorplan. We got a room that had a living room and a separate bedroom. That allowed for someone to watch tv, and others could read quietly. The room also had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Being on the top floor was also ideal - no one walking on your head. Indoor pool was a nice break one morning. Staff was gracious. Hotel was clean. Hot breakfast was included - and totally adequate. Enjoyed the location also - because it was just north of the chaos - so close, but not in the midst of the craziness.

Room Tip: Third floor is ultra quiet!
2  Thank agioe

Thank you for the wonderful comments about our hotel. We strive to make The Van Buren Hotel the best place to stay when visiting the Shipshewana area. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, amenities, and location of our property. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My 16 year old son and I stayed here one night July 2, 2013 having never been to Shipshewana before. Very courteous and swift check in. The room was larger than expected, two solid oak queen beds, SUPER CLEAN. The hotel is north of town on the main route, plenty of horse & buggy traffic to view from the room or from the outdoor sitting porches. Fridge & microwave standard in the rooms turned out to be a savior for the fudge, cheese and candy we bought. Only drawback: breakfast was surprisingly disappointing for Amish-land. The breakfast was "Hampton" caliber. Still a great value for the price. Definitely recommend and will stay here again.

Room Tip: First floor is most convenient, hotel is a straight long line. No bad rooms. Room 126 was closest...
1  Thank RockTIlUDrop
Tonya C, Director of Sales at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Van Buren Hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed many of the amenities that we offer; such as the in-room refrigerator and our front porches. I apologize that our breakfast wasn't what you had expected. We offer a variety of foods; including sausage and eggs, waffles, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, cereal, locally made danishes, fruit, and much more. We try to make sure there is something there for everyone, and I hope that does not deter you from visiting us again.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We had stayed here when it was Country Inn and Suites, not sure when it changed names. The rooms look the same, Oak furniture. We had a king size bed and sitting room. It is nice to have microwave and mini frig in the room. Bathroom was very clean. Just the way we remember it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat S
Tonya C, Director of Sales at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to visit TripAdvisor and share your opinion with the travel community. We became an independent hotel a few years ago. However, the only thing that has really changed is the name. We still strive to make our guests feel like they are at their home away from home. We certainly hope to see you here at The Van Buren again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipshewana
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
2 mi away
Der Ruhe Blatz Motel
Der Ruhe Blatz Motel
#5 of 5 in Shipshewana

Been to The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana? Share your experiences!