“Outstanding accommodations, pleasant, quiet location - great for a base to explore Indiana Amish Country”

The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Shipshewana
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As you walk in the front door you are immediately taken by the quality and effort that has gone into the initial impression you get from the hotel and the staff. This hotel is on a par with the best we have stayed. The rooms are well appointed and very pleasant. We arrived on a Sunday (which is very quiet in town as everything is closed) and were greeted by a caravan of Amish buggies going by the front door.

We highly recommend this hotel - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chickenman26
VanBuren7780, Front Office Manager at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
I would like to thank you for your kind words, the staff works very hard to keep the hotel clean & well maintained. They always appreciate hearing that all the effort put forth is noticed & appreciated by our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We walked into this motel, took a whiff of the smell of wood, and we were sold! A local craftsman had made the room furniture of oak. Not only was it beautiful, but it smelled wonderful! The motel was clean, the desk personnel were super pleasant and helpful, the breakfast was great, the rooms were completely satisfactory - all this for a resaonable rate! This was the perfect motel to stay in during our wonder-filled visit to Shipshewana.

Room Tip: No need for air freshener. This motel smells new, clean, fresh, like pure oak!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I'm glad that you not only enjoyed your stay with us, but the time spent in our beautiful town. Thank you for your great review and I hope to see you back again.
Indiana
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel was a delightful surprise. My granddaughter and I spent two nights of her fall break and she did comment that she was the youngest person around.. The front desk was staffed by friendly people and the other staff members went out of their way to make sure everything was just right. The rooms were immaculate and the bedding was most comfortable. The breakfast was a welcome surprise with variety. It was busy but the lady running it was able to keep up with the crowd. I am always amazed at the relationships of staff members. This one was a happy, relaxed, and caring group. I will want to stay here again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem to be very good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Indianatraveler44
VanBuren7780, Front Office Manager at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I'm glad you and your granddaughter enjoyed your stay with us. We like to think that we are all part of a family here and glad that it has shown through for you. Thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you again soon.
pittsburgh
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was a very clean and well cared for hotel, Also very convenient to lots of activity's, Rooms were comfortable WIFI worked great. My handicapped room was set up very well, And made my trip much Moor comfortable. will definitely stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
VanBuren7780, Front Office Manager at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
I'm glad to hear we were able to accommodate all of your needs while you visited Shipshewana and hope to see you again in the future.
Detroit
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I had a nice escape to this hotel for the weekend in the jacuzzi suite. The hotel was very clean and well kept. The hotel was quiet - a lot of older people staying here and visiting Shipshewana. The breakfast bar was busy but the single staff member made sure everything was plentiful. We also swam in the the pool which was clean and had plenty of towels. Overall, it was a very nice stay and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The jacuzzi is big and roomy and clean. After seeing the rest of the hotels in Shipshewana, I was g...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mom1213
VanBuren7780, Front Office Manager at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I am glad to hear you had such an enjoyable time at our home and want to Thank you for your great recommendation & kind words.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed in a King Sofa room on the 3rd floor. The layout is such that you enter into the living room area where there is a sofa, small desk table with two wooden chairs, a comfortable armchair, dresser and flat screen TV and is plenty large enough. Ahead of this is a short hallway with a good sized bathroom on one side and counter with a sink, microwave and small fridge on the other then at the far end is the bedroom which again is large enough with another flatscreen TV and a big window.

Our room was very clean...the HVAC, TV's & WiFi worked well and we had a great view out the bedroom window. The included breakfast was fine for us and included scrambled eggs and sausage patties.

The hotel is on the edge of town but from the parking lot to the centre of it is about a minute drive as Shipshewana is not very big anyways.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great recommendation, it validates our entire staff's effort on a daily basis.
monclova
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Too bad our visit started out sour, better not arrive early as you will be met by a very rude clerk barking at you " we can't possibly get you into you room before 3:00" I said what time is it, she said "2:40 and there is no way you can possibly come in early." I told her that the web site said check in was 2:00, then went outside with my mom to wait.
While waiting several people came in and checked in got thier keys and went to their rooms before 3:00, so I went back to the service desk to sign in, while the clerk was getting my papers ready I told her that I felt she was very rude to me earlier, she of course denied it and ask in what way she was rude, I told her she could have politely told me that our room would not be ready until 3:00, she said well that is what I said, and we have our lobby video taped, I told her I hope she watches it. I also told her that they need to change their website since it stated on there check in was at 2:00. Another costumer told her the same thing, but instead of her apologizing she just said yes I know. She said she would let me know when our room was ready, which she did not do, at 3:20 I went back to the desk for the 3rd time, finally got our keys. Good thing the rest of the staff were very polite, no complaints about our room. I see now that have corrected the check in time to 3:00 as of today's date 9/20/12.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for your experience at check-in during your stay with us. Our housekeepers and maintenance staff work very hard to make the rooms available by 3:00 every day. Unfortunately many days they are unable to finish prior to check-in time. I apologize for the lack of explanation as to why you were unable to enter your room and am glad you were still able to enjoy the remainder of your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipshewana
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
#4 of 5 in Shipshewana
Der Ruhe Blatz Motel
Der Ruhe Blatz Motel
#5 of 5 in Shipshewana

Been to The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana? Share your experiences!