“In for Graduations”

Hampton Inn Shelbyville
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Shelbyville
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Clean, Comfortable bed, stuffy rooms, either too cold or too hot, couldn't get air the regulate, had to leave fan on 24 hrs, noisy. Decent breakfast. Staff was great! Handled the room key being shut off after one night with no problem, however didn't get an appology, just, "There you go".

Room Tip: Better get the top floor. Sounded like horses above us.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Larry W

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Room was clean, beds comfortable, room was quiet, pool was clean (but cold), whirlpool was nice and clean. Breakfast was great...plenty of wrapped grab and go items. The front desk was very sweet. Showed the girls the baby turtle they found in the lobby. The girls said that they should name him Hampton. The front desk agreed. Everyone was friendly except the breakfast lady. We stayed on the third floor. Great value. I don't understand the negative reviews....you get what you pay for and this was excellent value for my money.

Room Tip: Away from the pool if you are looking for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mindi K
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Shelbyville, Indiana for one night while visiting Indiana Live! Casino. The hotel was conveniently located not far from the casino and there are a few restaurants in the same area. Our room was clean and updated with a granite sinktop in the bathroom and comfortable bedding and furnishings. I love the fact that they wash the duvet covers after every guest. One of my quirks is that I hate having a bedspread or duvet cover that everyone else has slept under multiple times before it is laundered! The front desk staff was civil but not overly friendly and we had to interupt the girl upon checkout from her smoke break outside the front door. The included breakfast was just ok. We have had much better breakfast at other Hampton Inns. On the hot bar were thin slices of polish sausage and premade cheese omelets, hot oatmeal and make-your-own waffles. The sausage slices were good, but I guess we got the last few slices and they were not replenished. Also offered were a few sweet pastries, juice, and coffee. Just a note...at some Hamptons that we have stayed at, we've been treated to evening snacks. Not here. Would we stay again? Probably. But as there are several other chain hotels in the area we would most likely check some of them out first.Oh, by the way, we paid $89.00 plus tax for our room and that was with AARP discount.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IndianaLynn53
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our family of 4 (two grade school aged kids plus me & my husband) chose this hotel based on the reviews on this site and prior positive experiences with Hampton Inn. Big mistake. I would not stay here again.

The front desk and housekeeping staff were very friendly. The breakfast lady- not so much. The woman argued with me that the coffee decanter was not empty, when it was bone dry, bumped into me and used a curse word (in front of one my kids) when I asked for help with the clogged waffle batter dispenser... and there were boxes in the eating area that didn't move during our stay. Uck. But I try not to let one person color my experience or review...

The great things about this place are few, but a couple mentionables:
- fridge & microwave in room
- a nice working TV with cable
- temperature in room could be controlled by wall thermostat
- reasonable rate (quoted one price over the phone and upon arrival, quoted a rate that was ten bucks lower)
- easy access off the highway

Now for the bad...
- full size beds in all rooms (my mistake for not checking ahead of time)
- very uncomfortable, lumpy full size beds
- did I mention the breakfast lady?
- overchlorinated pool= unswimmable
- treadmill circa 1982 (best guess) that stopped repeatedly
- no water cooler in the "fitness room" (using that term loosely here)
- most restaurants are one exit back

Better hotels are right down the street. Next time I need one, I'll be sure to try one of the others. Sorry, Hampton, but this place is in need of some upkeep.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Good hampton inn with upscale furnishings, large room, fine bathroom, very clean hotel and very good breakfast. Only problem was some smoke smell from smoking rooms drifting along hallway and sometimes into non smoking rooms.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Nestled behind a Shell station just off of Rampart and State Road 9 sets this Hampton Inn. I hear it's been there for around 10 years, and has undergone some modern renovations. On approach I see that the grounds are maintained minus the tree line that obstructs the entry.
The overall exterior building conditions looked good as does the driveway and parking lot. The grounds are well lit at night and there are surveillance cameras as well.
My check-in took a bit longer than I think it should have, the lady seemed to have lost her touch on the PC. The lobby is very nice, there you'll find access to computers, lots of free coffees and fruit. The dinning area is also impressive with lot's of room and perhaps one of the best hot breakfasts I've had. If you don't have time to sit and eat, they offer an on the go breakfast bag. There's a patio area where you can enjoy your meal outside if you wish, although there's not much to see but a river.
I took the elevator to the third floor to find my room, and I was informed by a friend that you do not! want a lower level room as you can hear every move a person makes above you. I enter my room to find it just the right temperature and it smelling clean and fresh, but right away I spot a burned out light fixture. That put me in inspection mode right away!
I start with the bathroom and find the floor clean as well as the furnishings BUT a quick look at the shower and I see a suspect shower head. I reached up to test the setting dial and find it stuck and the swivel was over tightened. The toilet is to close to the shower, its very odd! The toilet blocks the back half of the tub.
In the main part of the room it was nice to find a bottle of water, Chex Mix and mints on the armoire. A nice 27" LG HD LCD overlooks the bed, ahh yes it was nice to see a modern TV! Bed comfort was about average I'd say, the room has a digital climate control and the air unit was not loud at all. Nothing else special about to note about the room. The fitness room looks well taken care of and offers the usual workout machines. The hotel offers a massive meeting room and there is also coin laundry. The pool was undergoing a resurfacing, there's not much else to note as my check-out was quick.

Room Tip: Search for on-line deals, they're out there! You can save as much as 20-30%
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank imsfan
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed at the Hampton Inn in Shelbyville IN on a Friday in August. Have stayed there before and both stays were great. We were going to Indiana Live Casino both times. They do not have a shuttle that takes you back and forth as some other hotels do, but this is a clean and nice hotel. We always stay on the top floor, but it has always been quiet. The location is easy to miss - kinda off the the main road but still in a good neighborhood. Ask for the casino rate - you can save $20. Breakfast your standard free breakfast, but at the casino rate and free breakfast is a good deal. Only an exit away from the casino and race track.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank buckeyeCookeville
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelbyville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Shelbyville - Indianapolis
#6 of 6 in Shelbyville
La Quinta Inn & Suites Greenwood
Hampton Inn and Suites - Greensburg
Hampton Inn Columbus / Taylorsville / Edinburgh

Been to Hampton Inn Shelbyville? Share your experiences!