“Hidden Gem”

Hampton Inn Shelbyville
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Shelbyville
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Nestled behind a Shell station just off of Rampart and State Road 9 sets this Hampton Inn. I hear it's been there for around 10 years, and has undergone some modern renovations. On approach I see that the grounds are maintained minus the tree line that obstructs the entry.
The overall exterior building conditions looked good as does the driveway and parking lot. The grounds are well lit at night and there are surveillance cameras as well.
My check-in took a bit longer than I think it should have, the lady seemed to have lost her touch on the PC. The lobby is very nice, there you'll find access to computers, lots of free coffees and fruit. The dinning area is also impressive with lot's of room and perhaps one of the best hot breakfasts I've had. If you don't have time to sit and eat, they offer an on the go breakfast bag. There's a patio area where you can enjoy your meal outside if you wish, although there's not much to see but a river.
I took the elevator to the third floor to find my room, and I was informed by a friend that you do not! want a lower level room as you can hear every move a person makes above you. I enter my room to find it just the right temperature and it smelling clean and fresh, but right away I spot a burned out light fixture. That put me in inspection mode right away!
I start with the bathroom and find the floor clean as well as the furnishings BUT a quick look at the shower and I see a suspect shower head. I reached up to test the setting dial and find it stuck and the swivel was over tightened. The toilet is to close to the shower, its very odd! The toilet blocks the back half of the tub.
In the main part of the room it was nice to find a bottle of water, Chex Mix and mints on the armoire. A nice 27" LG HD LCD overlooks the bed, ahh yes it was nice to see a modern TV! Bed comfort was about average I'd say, the room has a digital climate control and the air unit was not loud at all. Nothing else special about to note about the room. The fitness room looks well taken care of and offers the usual workout machines. The hotel offers a massive meeting room and there is also coin laundry. The pool was undergoing a resurfacing, there's not much else to note as my check-out was quick.

Room Tip: Search for on-line deals, they're out there! You can save as much as 20-30%
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank imsfan
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Shelbyville

Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed at the Hampton Inn in Shelbyville IN on a Friday in August. Have stayed there before and both stays were great. We were going to Indiana Live Casino both times. They do not have a shuttle that takes you back and forth as some other hotels do, but this is a clean and nice hotel. We always stay on the top floor, but it has always been quiet. The location is easy to miss - kinda off the the main road but still in a good neighborhood. Ask for the casino rate - you can save $20. Breakfast your standard free breakfast, but at the casino rate and free breakfast is a good deal. Only an exit away from the casino and race track.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank buckeyeCookeville
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed here for three nights for a family reunion. Wow, were we pleasantly surprised. The location was about 1.5 miles from downtown Shelbyville, and there wasn't a lot near the hotel, but it was perfect for our needs.

The place was very clean and modern and the beds were really luxurious. We asked for a fridge in our room and got one. The breakfast was the best I've had in a standard hotel in the Midwest (eggs, hash browns, cereal, yogurt, breads, juice, fruit, waffles coffee, cocoa, and maybe more).

Most of all, the best thing about this hotel was the staff (except one guy, but I'll get to that in a minute). They were so attentive! We felt totally cared for the entire time we were there. For example, we wanted some yogurt after hours, so we went down to the desk and asked if we could have some and they said sure, no problem. This was the way it was for everything, they clearly want to keep their guests happy.

Only one incident occurred. We were having a small family party at the indoor pool with our grandparents and niece and her parents. One of our guests was outside smoking and left the pool room door propped open with a rock. The maintenance guy came by and kicked the rock out of the door and told her she couldn't prop the door open, but he did it with a real attitude. Then, we had used an extension cord to power a very small boom-box from the hotel hallway into the pool room. He came back, told us we couldn't do that either (with a good amount of attitude) and pulled the cord out of the wall. Then it got really weird. He went outside and walked around past the pool room windows glaring in at us with an intimidating look and muttering to himself and shaking his head. Then he stood within view and angrily yelled over to the other maintenance guy outside to tell him what we did. This was pretty strange, seeing as we were a mellow, polite family just doing some swimming with some quiet Jack Johnson playing in the background. We complained to the front desk, and they were, as usual, super polite and apologetic about the entire thing, and then they came and set up some power for us so we could listen to our music (while still meeting their safety regulations, which we understood later we had breached with our setup). All in all, this ridiculous show from the maintenance guy did not detract from an otherwise perfect stay.

We plan on returning to this hotel again and again. Hopefully the maintenance guy will receive some customer service training in the meantime.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Theforgotten
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We will stay there again when visiting my brother in Shelbyville.
It is right off Hwy 74, very clean and more modern bath and bedding.
The beds were so comfortable, I forgot my own pillow and it is hard
for me to sleep on hotel pillows usually, but these were perfect. It was
nice to have a refrigerator in the room because of some food items we
were traveling with. It is located in behind a Shell Gas Station and there
is NO sign on either hwy 74 or Hwy 9....so you have to look harder to find it.

Room Tip: Maybe stay on the 3rd floor .....we could hear the people above us
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Originally staying for one night, but the staff and the property were so great, we stayed another night. Close enough to casino and track,a short ride. Staff are so very helpful and know the meaning of customer service. All in all, a great stay, will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed here for a single night and were very pleased with everything. The room was clean and bed very comfortable. We really like the sink area being inside the bathroom, not outside. The TV was recently upgraded to HDTV and had a great picture. Internet access was both wired and wireless and worked fine. The pool looked very inviting but we did not use it. The breakfast was good, as expected in a Hampton, and there was an attendant on duty at all times. The fruit was a plus as it was not the normal fruit mixture where all the flavors mix together. The price was for the room was good. This was our second time at this Hampton and it was a really good stay. We'll be back again when in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2011

One of the reasons I chose the Hampton Inn in Shelbyville (outside Indianapolis) is because they claim to have a 24-hour Business Center. Although I travel with my laptop, I frequently need to print docs so access to a computer and printer is very important to me. On arrival at midday on a Monday, everything worked. On Monday evening the Hampton's computer crashed. OK, these things happen. On Tuesday it was not repaired. On Wednesday I was told that the general manager had to speak with the "owner" about repairing the computer. On Thursday I was told that the computer would be replaced "in a couple of weeks". On Friday, when I left, there was a paper "Out of Order" sign on the door to the Business Center. It is clear that management, and apparently ownership, do not care about the needs of customers. By the way, also on Monday the wind blew over a potted plant right at the Hampton's front door. On Thursday the plant was still there laying on its side.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelbyville
Comfort Inn Shelbyville
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 6 in Franklin
Baymont Inn & Suites Franklin

Been to Hampton Inn Shelbyville? Share your experiences!