“Hot Tub Disappointment, But Otherwise Wonderful”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Seymour
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seymour
Chicago, Illinois
“Hot Tub Disappointment, But Otherwise Wonderful”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I like what I see when it comes to the "new" Fairfield Inns, and this property is a great example of how they are modernizing. From the moment we checked in, all of our expectations were met. The desk clerk was friendly, our room felt larger than it probably was, the bed was super comfortable, everything was exceptionally clean, and the breakfast was more than adequate. Our teenage son appreciated the very well appointed fitness room, which has the kind of treadmills and ellipticals you find in clubs with TVs on each machine. The pool area is very nice and clean, but we were very disappointed to find that, as Foodkop had stated, the hot tub simply doesn't work. When you travel 5+ hours a day in the car, a clean, working hot tub is really important. Although the water temperature is indeed very hot, the jets in the tub obviously do not work. I'm not sure if the hotel doesn't want to fix the hot tub or what, because we received the same explanation about how it was doing exactly what it was supposed to be doing (trust me, it wasn't.) At any rate, our stay was completed with a nice breakfast in the dining area with eggs, cereal, waffles, etc. There is a small, stocked pantry with frozen items and even alcohol to purchase. Everyone at the hotel was friendly, the location is awesome and we faced the highway without any noise disturbance. I would have rated this property with five stars but not being able to use the hot tub after a long trip knocked it down a notch in our book. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Adrienne M
Debra_McCormick, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Seymour, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, We always appreciate the feedback and look forward to you visiting us again. We are having the jets for the hot tub looked at for repair or possible replacement. Again, Thank you for your business.

Respectfully;
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We called to make our reservations instead of doing it on line because we had a couple questions. First, and foremost, we asked if they had a hot tub and if it was in working order. We were assured they had one that was working. Hot tubs are very important to us when driving 5-9 hours a day.

The clerks at the desk were very pleasant and friendly. The lobby was beautiful (as all Fairfields are). We went to our room and found it impeccable. It was very clean and all was in order. The only thing missing was the TV channel guide, but we were given one when we asked.

After dinner we went to the hot tub and pool. The pool was warm and relaxing. The hot tub was a HUGE disappointment. The knob to turn for time was missing. The instructions said to set the time (which wasn't possible) and push the button to start. We pushed a little knob that was supposed to be the button and nothing happened. I went to the front desk (dripping wet because I had been in the pool) to report it. The desk clerks came to the pool with me to investigate. They could see the problem, but insisted that it was a whirlpool spa - not a hot tub. Therefore, the jets only moved the water around, not bubble. This was ridiculous! That's not true and I told them I wasn't buying that explanation. They returned to the front desk and came back to us informing us that the general manager would call us the next day to talk to us. As it turned out, the general manager wanted to talk to us after we were finished in the pool. So, we changed out of our suits and went back down to the desk. The clerk called the general manager who spoke with my husband at length regarding the problem.

The general manager said the whirlpool spa story was what she had been told about the hot tub and that's how it was supposed to work, but she didn't believe it either. She ended up comping our room (no charge) & we were given anything we wanted from the store at no cost. Problem resolved. We would've liked to have had the hot tub, but Fairfield made it right for our troubles.

We had a King Suite. The bed was very comfortable. The last few King beds we stayed in at other hotels were not as comfy.

The location is great! Right off the highway. Ask for a room towards the back and other side of the building to avoid the traffic noise. The clerk gave us a room away from traffic noise without us having to ask. There are many restaurants and stores within a very short distance from the hotel. Very convenient.

There was a visitor "reception" that night. They had complimentary beer, sodas, chips, candies and other munchies in the lounge. Very nice. We were tired and took ours to our room.

Breakfast was free. It was the usual fare of eggs, waffles, cereal, muffins, fruit, etc... Nothing special.

We would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of my management and staff, we would like to Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review and take all comments and suggestions very seriously. As do I take the problem you encountered with our hot tub. This is being investigated now. We appreciate your business and welcome you back to stay with us. I am the person that called you from home the night you encountered the problem. I do appreciate the understanding you showed my staff and hope that you will visit again.

Respectfully,
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was a very nice place for just a brief get-a-way. It was very clean the the staff was very helpful-from the manager and food service especially. The bed was comfortable and the full breakfast was a surprise treat. The pool was clean and it has a small but nice workout area.
It was easy to find near several restaurants. Not far away from Louisville. Ky and Nashville Indiana. Ask for a north view room over the golf course next door. Whoever designed the decor made you feel that you where in a higher priced hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view on north side facing a golf course that is next door.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Debra_McCormick, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Seymour, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for all your great comments regarding your stay with us. We certainly enjoyed having you here as our guest. We welcome to return in the future. We have just upgraded our Breakfast Bar and happy to hear you liked it.
Cincy, OH
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Had to spend 3 nights in Seymour. This Fairfield Inn is what I would consider upper end for the brand. Bed was super comfortable, breakfast is what you would expect. Place was clean and all the staff I ran across was very friendly.

Room Tip: I had room 124 which was super convenient to the side parking lot. I-65 Road noise wasn't bad.
Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
The staff at the Fairfield Inn & Suites would like to Thank you for the great comments and sharing your personal experience with us. We welcome to return in the future, and as always we will be more than happy to serve you.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Nice decor. Comfortable. Good service. Good value. Fairfield Inn's updated look is stylish and relaxing. The breakfast was plentiful and had a good variety of food. The beds were very comfortable. The rooms were clean.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Debra_McCormick, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Seymour, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Kathy, Thank you for the review. We certainly appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
General Manager,
Fairfield Inn & Suites Seymour Indiana
Manteno, IL
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was not bad, but stayed in nicer. The rooms are small, but they are clean. Breakfast was about normal, but eggs were not fresh. At check in they were making a big deal with the guy next to me because he was a Platnium member. Offered him a drink or points. I was barely acknowledged and got nothing. I guess being a gold member is not enough. Had stayed at a Marriott the night before and they acknowledged it several times. I stayed at the Holiday Inn next door last year and thought it was much nicer. I think it may be the same owners, but the property showed much better I thought and staff was more accommodating. Will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for review, I certainly appreciate your business and take all your comments into consideration and use all for training purposes. We look forward to your visit as stated in the email I sent you. Thank you for your business. Respectfully, Debra McCormick, General Manager of Fairfield Inn & Suites Seymour Indiana.
Worthington, Indiana
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Me and my family took a mini vacation right after Christmas. We stayed for 3 nights. My first thoughts walking in the door was very inviting and warm. I can not thank the ladies that work there enough. The manager was the sweetest lady ever and loves kids. The nightshift receptionist Christina was more than accomidating. she told us some things we could do since it was snowing. We had our 9 yr Old daughter and our 7 yr old son with us. This is a very family friendly hotel. The rooms are very clean and the hotel itself is very modern. The town itself doesn't have much to do in the winter but shopping and restaurants. That didn't stop us from having fun. The kids took full advantage of the pool and hot tub. The breakfast was great and it's included with the room. There were eggs, waffles, bacon, pastries, yogurt, cereal ect. I could go on. The coffee is offered 24 hrs a day and is awesome. I'm surprised they didn't limit me lol but it is so good. The beds are very comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. We had a standard 2 queen it was nice but next time we will get the suite with the kids. Suits are very nice, the staff was nice enough to show us one for the next time. I was trying to figure out something for the kids to do and the staff was going to allow the kids to make a snowman outside. They chose the pool but I thought it was very nice of them to give the option. Totally recommend this hotel. Another good thing it's in a central location to anything in town.

Room Tip: Double queen has tv desk chair dresser. Suites have living space pull out sofa bed fridge private ki...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Debra_McCormick, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Seymour, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for the great posting, we appreciate your business, and so enjoyed the family, its very nice to see families that come and enjoy the hotel, and get to know them. We certainly hope that you get to make here again soon, possiblly when its warm and you can get out and see the area. On behalf of my staff we welcome you back, and look forward to seeing you. Please tell the kids I will be waiting with the snowballs. Debra McCormick, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seymour
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Seymour
Columbus Hotel
Columbus Hotel
#3 of 9 in Columbus
Sleep Inn & Suites Lakeside

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Seymour? Share your experiences!