“Better then competitor”

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Scottsburg
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Scottsburg
“Better then competitor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I stay here often when in the area. It is not the newest but the service and staff make up for that. I enjoy the warm welcome when you arrive. You do not get that across the highway at the Hampton.
I have never had a problem with cleanliness and plan on continuing to use this Holiday Inn again and again.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Travel46804

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Oneida, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Decided this place because it had a pool for the kids. The pool heater was broke so the water was frigid. There was also ants crawling around on the floor in the pool area. Could hear trucks driving around all night, someone with a loud b-bopping bass stereo outside somewhere. Breakfast was ok. Got a free bottle of water when checking out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Scottsburg, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Chad D,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, We’re sorry about the pool heater and for the poor cleanliness. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Union, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Amy at check in was outstanding going out of her way to take care of everyone because it was vey busy. Very poor lighting in the room, only one chair in room and it was at the table, mattress needs to be turned. Great location near a lot of things to do. Need a place to eat plenty close by and the front desk gives out very good tips as where to eat. Breakfast was OK, staff very friendly but the area is vey small when the house is full. If in the area I would return hoping the beds have been flipped.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Maiden, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was there from February 18 2013 to February 22 2013. The hotel staff were excellent in having everything ready for my arrival. The room was clean and everything was in order. The staff had even turned up the heat in the room expecting my arrival! The shower was hot and the bathroom was very clean. My room was quiet and the internet access allowed me to get a great deal of work done. All of the staff were responsive to my every need! In particular, they kept me in great coffee and cookies while I was up working late into the night.The amenities, which included a gym, indoor swimming pool, guest laundry, and even a great breakfast all had the same thing in common. They were clean serviceable, and in the case of breakfast, very well done! Checkout was just as efficient and orderly as checking in! I would stay there again! If you are in this part of the country and are looking for a top notch place to stay for business, or just as a great place to rest for the night, look no further! My thanks for a pleasant stay go to the manager and staff at the hotel for making my business trip a complete success!

Room Tip: Look for rooms on the ground floor, west side. You'll be away from the front door noise, but rea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Weaverville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Nice place, clean room that felt new... including carpet, furniture, linens, etc. Quiet, too! Great place to stay when on the road and stopping for a night or two. Breakfast was pretty good, and staff was friendly and suggested a number of ways to get me a discount.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
KC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I don't know what all the negative reviews are about because we thought this hotel was great. We (my husband daughter, sister and I) got a great price on priceline so maybe because we paid less than $80 for all 4 of us made this hotel look even better on our end. First off I have to say that this is one of the best free breakfasts I have ever seen at a hotel. It consisted of eggs, biscuits and gravy, bagels, pancakes, sausage, yogurt, several cereal choices, fruit and the best fresh hot cinnamon rolls!! OMG they were SO good! The room was very clean and accommodating. Bed are comfy. The indoor pool is small but worked perfectly for my daughter. Staff (we only really spoke to Amy) was very friendly. I would go back for sure. A+

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ebaygirll
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

The first point of frustration is the complete lack of signage. There was no sign for this HIE visible from the Interstate, nor was there any sign indicating "Holiday Inn Express This Way --->" on the main street off of which the hotel can be found, nor (surprisingly) even **at the entrance to the hotel** from the side street where their website's directions indicate the hotel can be found. Google Maps was of no assistance in that regard which added a layer of frustration, though the hotel cannot be held accountable for Google Maps' navigational shortcomings.

We arrived at the HIE - Scottsburg around 9:00 PM after a long day of driving, but not so late that it would have been unreasonable to expect they'd still have some of their customary cookies available. I was told that they stopped putting cookies out at 7:00 PM. Disappointment #1 but a small one.

To their credit, our room was ready and we were able to check in without any trouble. Parking was convenient to the location of the room.

Disappointment #2 -- Our room was extremely musty -- damp with a faint odor of mildew in the air -- and in dire need of airing out. I recommend that housekeeping either use an electric dehumidifier regularly in the downstairs rooms or install buckets of DampRid (or similar product) in rooms while they are not in use to help minimize the musty odor.

Disappointment #3 -- While I appreciate the three layers of curtains (light-blocking closest to the window, sheer in the middle, and decorative fabric facing the room), NONE of them could be closed without completely blocking the flow of air from the air conditioning unit which was directly below the window. I ended up leaving the decorative and sheer curtains open and bunching the light-blocking curtains up on top of the windowsill so that we could have some privacy and still allow the AC to cool the room down and dry out the air a bit.

Is it really so complicated to have curtains made that are the proper length for the window?

Disappointment #4 - Fitness Center: I work out regularly at my local gym and try to maintain my fitness routine when I'm on the road. It was disappointing to me that the HIE fitness center did not have even a basic set of free weights or a basic universal weight machine (if they are worried about the weights wandering off with light-fingered guests). These machines are very affordable these days (under $300) and available from a wide variety of general merchandise stores.

Even more disappointing to me than this, though, was the fact that there were only two treadmills and one of them (ironically, the newer of the two) did not work. It would turn on and off and grudgingly, laconically run at the lowest speed, but neither the speed nor the elevation features could be adjusted. I tried every possible combination of buttons to no avail.

The older of the two machines actually did work -- speed and elevation could be adjusted -- but this second treadmill was so old it was quite literally rusty and creaky, and had been used so many times the lettering had worn off the buttons. Another minus was that it had no cup holder, so I ended up using a damp towel on the flat part of the control panel to hold my water bottle in place. IMO, there is no excuse to have a fitness center with broken equipment in it. Either get it fixed or replace it with something that does work. I know these machines are expensive, but it's a HUGE value-add for a customer like me, and to have to spend 15 minutes of the time I have budgeted for my workout futzing around with the equipment trying to get it to work is frustrating. The hotel should have budget set aside for replacing fitness center equipment every 5 years or so so as to prevent this from ever becoming an issue.

To add insult to injury, there was NO AIR CIRCULATING in the tiny room that serves as the fitness center. By the time I was 45 minutes into my workout it was like a sauna. I had to ask the front desk clerk if I could prop the door open so as to let in cooler air from the lobby area. The one pitiful little oscillating fan they had in the room did not, to the best of my ability to discern, actually move much air, despite what appeared to be energetic spinning. I held my damp hand up against where the air should have been blowing and... little or no air blowing.

The breakfast was mediocre at best. I did not try the eggs because my son ate earlier and said that both the eggs and the 1% milk in cartons "tasted funny." Eggs and milk are two of his favorite breakfast foods, so that warned me away from even trying them. My yogurt was fine, though it was a bit tepid, temperature-wise. The cinnamon rolls looked and smelled delicious, so I grabbed one expecting a real treat. Unfortunately, like everything else at this HIE, it was just...a little bit off. Hard to define how except that perhaps it did not have any of the crispness at the edges that a real cinnamon roll would have, and the flavor was somehow not...fresh (too many preservatives or other artificial ingredients? or perhaps it sat too long under the heat lamp covered by that plastic cap? something that is bound to be leaking carcinogens into whatever it touches when it's warmed like that, btw...)

The worst disappointment of all, though, came when I returned to our room. As I turned back the sheet to sit down and take my shoes off, there, plain as day, was a bedbug. Fortunately this one was dead, but even so -- ick. After my son got up to take his shower, I decided to check his sheets and mattress to see if there were any more. Sure enough, there was a fat little bedbug -- this one very much ALIVE -- snuggled into the trim at the top edge of his mattress, and yet *another* bedbug that had been crushed (EW!) against the fitted sheet.

To their credit, the head housekeeper was very apologetic, and the hotel refunded the cost of my one-night stay in full.

The staff were all very nice, and I do believe they are trying hard to do their jobs well, but I suspect they could all use a little more training and polish in terms of how they respond to the various disappointments listed there above. I was disappointed that, while the General Manager did offer his apologies through the staff member who presented me with my revised bill, he has not called me as the staff member indicated he would. It has been over 24 hours since we checked out. Surely there has been opportunity in that time for a phone call to a dissatisfied customer?

In any case, I really hope this HIE gets its act together because I think it has potential, and I think the staff deserve to get the training they need to deliver *polished* customer service, even in the face of so many things going wrong. (Hint: *Start* with the apology, then *ask* "What can we do to make this up to you?")

Room Tip: Check for bedbugs - in between all layers of sheets and bedding AND between mattress and box springs...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Scottsburg, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear fyrewede2,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review of your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I have taken note of your comments regarding housekeeping, the facilities and breakfast. Rest assured this will be addressed with the proper departments.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope that you give us another chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsburg
Hampton Inn Scottsburg
#1 of 10 in Seymour
Days Inn & Suites Sellersburg
Days Inn & Suites Sellersburg
#2 of 4 in Sellersburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express and Suites Scottsburg? Share your experiences!