“couldn't breathe”

Best Western Crossroads Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Schererville
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was very disappointed in this hotel for the price. I wanted to avoid a Motel 6 experience, but that is pretty much what I got. As soon as I entered the room, it reeked of cigarette smoke. It is supposedly a non-smoking building. There were cigarette stains on the tables. I literally couldn't breathe, and I had a hard time sleeping because my lungs hurt so badly.

The front desk's response: they wouldn't charge me their $250 cleaning fee since I wasn't the one smoking (gee thanks), and gave me a bottle of febreeze. Wow, really?

This hotel appears nice at first, but at closer inspection is dirty. The sheets were badly stained, there was hair in the sink, and the windows were difficult to open (so I could breathe).

Also, when I went to check in, there was a creepy guy sitting in the lobby. He was still there when I went back to discuss the room's smell and get a new remote control for the tv (the volume and power buttons didn't work). I can only assume it was the front desk clerk's boyfriend. I find this very unprofessional and off-putting.

The bathroom by the lobby has a toilet that is not bolted to the floor, so be careful if you use it.

The breakfast was fine, and there were newspapers and plenty of tvs. So that was good. And I could breathe in the lobby.

Also, the front desk told us to park in the back to be closer to our room, which ended up not being true. The lighting in the back is inadequate.

Also, there is no elevator in this hotel. I didn't need it, but if you have a stroller, wheelchair, or some other reason to use one, then you are out of luck.

Overall, this was a horrible experience. I didn't rate it one star because I have been in worse hotels in third world countries.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Crossroads Inn

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Extra nice staff. Quick check in and nice rooms. The room could use a little better lighting and the only other thing missing is an elevator. Overall, great stay. Free breakfast and excellent location!! Will come back! Thanks.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed May 3, 2013

A recent sojourn to Highland Indiana made this motor hotel a good deal for my short stay. The staff was helpful, my single room large and comfortable, and the breakfast-coffee area had alot of choices, so no need to go out for breakfast or leave for a good cup of coffee. Location is a mixed bag because 1) they are set back off the highway and not easily visible for finding BUT quiet for good R&R.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank margaret b
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotels a nice place they have a nice staff the only thing that just totally grosses me out is there comforters they are grosse cigarette burns everywhere im in a smoke free room if that its faded and stained up compared to the picture online of the bed spread looks nothing like the picture clean wise you would be greatly disappointed to me the bed in a hotel is very important I dont get why they wouldent buy new ones but dont get me wrong the stay was great everything else was clean besides the comforters!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank soccermom0513
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We attended a wedding nearby and chose this hotel because it was a bit cheaper than others and very convenient to the highway. Although we booked the King suite, they placed us in a different room. We're not sure why, but didn't care enough to ask for a different room (they were all the same price when we booked anyhow). Our room was very clean, with modern updates. The woman who checked us in Saturday afternoon was extremely nice and helpful. She gave us a business card for a local taxi service, too. The young lady that worked Sunday morning, taking care of the continental breakfast was incredibly sweet and helpful. The breakfast was what you would expect from a hotel - dry cereal, waffle maker, juice, bagels, yogurt, fruit, etc. Overall, the hotel was convenient, clean, and easy on the wallet.

Room Tip: The hotel is a bit hard to find, but it is directly behind the McDonald's. You can even access i...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Not a bad hotel, clean appearance, no bad smells, scarce breakfast location is ok now that I think of the pros. No sidewalks in area, a couple places to eat in walking distance. Rattlesnake working at desk in evenings. Approach carefully.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Theroadishome
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here instead of staying in Chicago. As usual I was looking for a clean place to sleep.If you want to sleep, do not stay here. The people in the next room sounded more like they were in our bathroom. And as luck would have it we got the neighbors that stayed up and talked all night. The room was large and although the carpets looked little grungy the rest of the room was clean. As far as price I thought it was a little to high for this room. Really too high considering I only slept two hours.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schererville
Hampton Inn & Suites Schererville
Holiday Inn Express Schereville North
Staybridge Suites Schererville
Staybridge Suites Schererville
#4 of 6 in Schererville
Best Western Inn & Suites Of Merrillville
Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Munster

Been to Best Western Crossroads Inn? Share your experiences!