“Not filet mignon”

Dining options: Reservations
South Chicago
“Not filet mignon”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We dined there a few weeks ago, my husband and two grown sons. I and one of my sons ordered a filet mignon combo. My other son ordered the steak and chicken special. there was another party seated next to us. The chef layed out three different steak which were separate on the grill. One of these he put a bowl inverted on to steam the meat. I was curious as to which was the filet. He plated the 'filet' on my and my sons plates. This meat did not in any shape or form resemble filet nor did it taste like filet. When I questioned the chef, he said it was filet. When the waitress asked how everything was, I told her this was not filet. She said it was , but that she would get the manager. The manager told me it was filet and offered to cook me more or he could deduct the cost. I opted for the second choice which resulted in a $20 off the bill ($10 each ). I was satisfied with that, but what a disappointment!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sara L

Columbia, TN
“Christmas Tradition Marred by poor Experience”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

For the past four years, we have made it a tradition to go to House of Kobe since they are one of the few places open. We go to the location in Schererville.This year, we are considering scrapping this holiday tradition because of a poor experience. We had reservations and were all present five minutes before the reservation, yet it took over 20 minutes to be seated. We were asked at least five times by a rude host if we were all present. A "manager" supposedly took our orders and was very difficult to understand. We were told that several soft drinks on the menu were not available. Alcohol and sushi were also not available. It would have been nice if we had been told this when we made our reservation since some of us were only planning on eating sushi. We felt rushed throughout the whole experience, one of our party had their soup taken before she was finished with it and the other had to tell person clearing the table that he was not done with his soup before he snatched it. Our chef, on the other hand, was excellent and provided attentive service. The rest of the service has made us reconsider our future holiday plans.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Jessica K
Chicago, Illinois
“Good sushi, but felt cut off”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

After several years away, my husband and I went to HofK for a sushi dinner. The sushi bar is cut off from the main teppan-table dining area and the bar service area, which was a bit off-putting. Simple wooden tables and wooden chairs...kinda blah. And several people walked thru to pick up their carry-out orders....a bit distracting. There were little pieces of paper on the table which were used to place our orders of sushi, shashimi, maki, etc. Our waitress brought us each a full menu which included several pages of photos to match the little paper menus...good to see what we were ordering! It was nice to be able to order just a couple items, have a bottle of sake, and take our time. All the dishes were fresh and cold. Be sure to ask for the ginger dipping sauce - delicious! The only real change (besides decor) in this restaurant over the past 30 years has been the prices ... noticeable, but not unusual... which is why I gave it a $$$ rating. Our bill was over $75!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank SmokieBr
Chicago, Illinois
“Good for Northwest Indiana”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I travel around the world and have been to both coast of the US, so I have tasted a lot of Sushi. With that said, for Northwest Indiana, the food is fresh and service is good.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank spaboy12345
Crown Point, Indiana
“Mixed reviews”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I really want to like the House of Kobe. I am a big sushi lover and my kids love to watch the Hibachi cooking. Both tend to be hit or miss. I can tell you that I have been having much better experiences as of late with the Merrillville location rather than the Schererville location. At the Schererville location, the sushi often smells very fishy and is obviously not very fresh. I have been happier with Merrillville, where the fish is fresher. I do like their Salmon Jalapeno roll although I wish they did not Tempura fry the asparagus inside the roll. I would rate their sushi as mediocre, but it is currently the best in NW Indiana. NW Indiana is in desperate need of a top flight sushi restaurant and I wish that House of Kobe would make the investment to make that happen. It would amount to a lot of business.

For the Hibachi cooking, my biggest complaints are 1) the show is always the same and I wish they would change it up some and 2) the ventilation at both locations is poor so you always have to throw your clothes right in the wash because you smell like you were grilled up yourself. I don't see that at other Hibachi style restaurants (i.e. Benehana's). Also, the Hibachi cooking can be hit or miss. Sometimes the really overcook things (i.e. chicken), leaving it very dry. Some chefs are better and don't do that, so it is the luck of the draw on who you get. I would suggest that unless you have had the chef before and know that he won't dry out your food, then get the steak (i.e. Kobe Royal) and ask for it Med Rare.

So, overall, it is an average rating. If you can go to either Schererville or Merrillville, I would recommend the later.

Visited June 2012