“Good for Northwest Indiana”
Review of House of Kobe

House of Kobe
Ranked #48 of 101 Restaurants in Schererville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I travel around the world and have been to both coast of the US, so I have tasted a lot of Sushi. With that said, for Northwest Indiana, the food is fresh and service is good.

2  Thank spaboy12345

Reviewed June 13, 2012

I really want to like the House of Kobe. I am a big sushi lover and my kids love to watch the Hibachi cooking. Both tend to be hit or miss. I can tell you that I have been having much better experiences as of late with the Merrillville location rather than the Schererville location. At the Schererville location, the sushi often smells very fishy and is obviously not very fresh. I have been happier with Merrillville, where the fish is fresher. I do like their Salmon Jalapeno roll although I wish they did not Tempura fry the asparagus inside the roll. I would rate their sushi as mediocre, but it is currently the best in NW Indiana. NW Indiana is in desperate need of a top flight sushi restaurant and I wish that House of Kobe would make the investment to make that happen. It would amount to a lot of business.

For the Hibachi cooking, my biggest complaints are 1) the show is always the same and I wish they would change it up some and 2) the ventilation at both locations is poor so you always have to throw your clothes right in the wash because you smell like you were grilled up yourself. I don't see that at other Hibachi style restaurants (i.e. Benehana's). Also, the Hibachi cooking can be hit or miss. Sometimes the really overcook things (i.e. chicken), leaving it very dry. Some chefs are better and don't do that, so it is the luck of the draw on who you get. I would suggest that unless you have had the chef before and know that he won't dry out your food, then get the steak (i.e. Kobe Royal) and ask for it Med Rare.

So, overall, it is an average rating. If you can go to either Schererville or Merrillville, I would recommend the later.

2  Thank Bob A
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We visited there for sushi. It was fresh and tasty. Service was good and it was fun to watch the teppan cooking in the next room. I would definetly visit there again, and wouldn't hesitate to bring a group there.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

You have to go at least once, it's a fun experience and if you're going out with someone who is shy, it's a great place to break the ice.

Reviewed February 3, 2009

My husband and I went there for Valentines Day last year and it was great. The cooks are fun and the food is great. They are not stingy on the food and drinks are exceptional. We loved it we are planning on going there this year 2009 as well!

Tanja