All reviews golf cart water slides lake rudolph paddle boats christmas cabin halloween weekends holiday world family cabin ice cream bath house fire ring free shuttle front gate pizza bring your own activity center gas grill
Selected filters
Reviewed December 23, 2018

My family stayed at Lake Rudolph so that we could go to Holiday World for Halloween. We stayed there Friday, October 19 through Sunday, October 21, 2018. My wife Adriene, our twin boys Weston and Wyatt, along with my parents stayed in one of their family cabins (Cabin #205).

We found the place to be very clean and comfy as we unloaded the van and put everything away. I feel that there could be several things added that would not cost much but would make the space more functional but there is always an added cost to that and the basic maintenance for when people break said things.

My parents let Adriene and I have the room with the Queen bed, while my mom tried to share the room with the loft bed and dad took the couch, as a bed on Friday night. Our room was small but cozy and the bed was for the most part comfortable for two people who are very picky about the type of beds they sleep in. The main bedroom had a ceiling fan, along with the living room which was very nice.

My mom could not sleep on what was essentially plywood, with a little film of plastic and padding with a cover sheet over the mattress with the boys so it was a tough night for her. The boys seem to sleep just fine, or just like they normally do at home. If I had known this I would have brought this twin size compact air up mattress that I have used when camping that when aired up is about 2 inches thick, now it would only be a little bit better but would have helped a near 60 year old grandma sleep with her grandsons.

Dad slept fairly well expect for mom being up most of the night and making him move over to make room for her early in the morning.

On Saturday night my parents pulled out the bed from the couch which was not great but was pretty good in comparison, but was simply a little tricky with that it wanted to fold up on them at the beginning so was a little tricky on how you were going to sleep on it.

Since we went in the fall and it was raining and cold while we were there, we were not planning on behind outside, so the suggestions about bringing lawn chairs, charcoal and related for being outside did not apply to us. But we seen others using the grounds and enjoying it.

It had a wonderful screened in porch, it would have been nice if there was some kind of padding on the screen door for when it closes and is loud unless you close it on your own. Simple fix, but something that was only a minor nuisance for the couple of days we would be there.

The full refrigerator was very handy, we brought food and drinks, way more than we needed but that is fine, we just brought it back home. We didn't use the oven/stove or the microwave because we ate out both Friday night and Saturday with being at Holiday World.

We did enjoy the use of the TVs both in the living room and the one in the bedroom since my wife likes to listen to something when she goes to sleep. Now I will say that the walls are very thin, we could hear the boys talking to grandma when they were suppose to be sleeping, so we had to keep the volume very low but that is ok.
The TV's were Samsung and they had cable tv or a form of it, which was nice even though I did bring my iPad and laptop that I generally hook up to the TV's and play my movies through. Now it could have been my HDMI cable or it could be the format but I couldn't get the audio to play through the TV, so I ended up using my laptop and the volume output is pretty good.

The small table for two or thee to eat at is fairly small and has two fold down ends that are not 100% sturdy but are good enough for everything you may need them for. My laptop and arms laying on them seemed like I may break it so I changed things around for my use.

I think I was the only one that took a shower both mornings and I found the water pressure to be pretty good for it being a cabin with a lot of cabins and water hookups in the resort. The bathroom was small but functional, the ceiling vent sounded like it may not be as optimal as a new one, but did work. It had one towel rack and could have used a couple more, a couple of hooks for clothes or otherwise. It could probably use a shelf or two behind the toilet for putting extra toilet paper or towels that way they are out of the way and utilizing the minimal available space.

The week before our trip, I was researching what kind of WiFi service may be available, what kind of cellular service they had, along with Holiday World so that I could plan for anything that may come up. Well I have AT&T service and it showed that in that area I would have great LTE service. But I can tell you that the service at Lake Rudolph was horrible, now I would say that it may have just been a congested network of cell phones and not actually terrible. But with the trees, and many many things going on, it may also play a part. The Wifi was functional, and it did say in the page print out that the WiFi was for checking your email or basic usage and not for gaming or downloading. I find that statement to be accurate, I was actually able to play a game on my iPad but it was spotty but downloading emails, was not that great honestly. I actually think Holiday World and its wifi and cell coverage was worse but it may be plagued by the same issues.

When we got back to our cabin on Saturday night after a day at Holiday World and eating dinner out to find that our cabin did not have power. But to be fair, all of the cabins and RV's didn't have it either, from what we found is that there was a transformer blew or was knocked down from the very strong winds that were in the area. Which everyone that gave me crap for having like 6 flashlights and 5 battery packs because I over pack, were happy that I do. We were told that it had already been out for about 2 hrs when we got there and they were aware of it and working on fixing it. It took about an hour or an hour and half before it came back on which is really good, I had lights and the ability to charge phones and power the boys sound machine but I did not bring a means of warming a cabin or a room up on batteries.

For our trip, we brought most of the things that we thought would need and the list that is posted on their website does come in handy. Some of the things that we brought or I wish we brought are listed below:
• Towels for showers or baths
• Floor matt or related for the bath or shower.
• Trash Bags, size doesn't mater because the trash can in the cabin is very small so don't go off of it.
• Food and Drinks, there is cabinet space, freezer and refrigerator to use.
• Blankets, Pillows and related bedding, they provide the basic layer only.

We enjoyed our stay and do plan on going back maybe next year for the same type of trip or may go in the summer and use the water park as well. Maybe this next time I won't have issues getting around easier since I didn't ask for a ranger to take us to our cabin the first time. We ended up stopping at the Campground Store and picked up a few things which they had a good amount of stuff actually and from there I got my bearings on where I needed to go.

We also were there while they hosted their Halloween events which they had great decorations along with all of the visitors staying in cabins or camping out or even in the campers all setup decorations for the trick or treating that was going on for the kids. If it was not for the rain we would have totally love to take advantage of this but we didn't want the boys to get sick again since they had previously just got over it.

Room tip: Bring Towels, Floor Matt for Showers, Trash Bags, Food & Drinks, Toilet Paper
Reviewed December 8, 2018 via mobile

Halloween weekends are second to none....lots of activities and a ton of fun. But very expensive and must book one year in advance. Spring for the golf cart too...almost a necessity. And another added expense. WiFi pretty good. Sites are nice. This is the only campground my teenagers don’t complain about going to visit! But, due to the expense it is once a year at best. Lake Lincoln is really beautiful and lots cheaper and only five minutes down the road, but not near the amenities of Lake Rudolph. Santa Claus is a friendly and quaint town!

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2018

The camper we rented was starting to show its age but was still in good condition. The staff at campground were all very friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. We did rent a golf cart and it was in perfect condition.(a must have if you don't bring your bikes). This campground is a bit on the pricey side but they do an amazing job keeping everything up to date. I am sure the kids will be talking about the weekend for years to come.

Room tip: Know what you want. Campers are very nice but they are still campers. If you want more of a hotel get a cabin
Reviewed September 16, 2018

We had a cabin for our Family Reunion at Lake Rudolph allowing us to gather in one spot for games, food, and bon fires. It was awesome. It had a great deck with space to hangout and play games. The inside was small but it met our need. If I had a family staying I am not sure I could manage because the loft for the kids could cause some claustrophobia. There was a bus route that would take you to the amusement park which was convenient. As there isn't a lot of space for cars at the cabin so we had to take trips dropping people off and leaving cars at front entrance. We were there when it was a golf cart parade so everyone had it decorated and it was cool to feel apart of a community where everyone waved when you went past them.

Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank CDarrett
Reviewed August 31, 2018 via mobile

Where do I begin? I will start off by saying my mom took me to Lake Rudolph twice as a kid and it is one of my fondest memories. This past week my husband and I took a little get away with my parents to Lake Rudolph Campground. I will give them a 2 star rating for the simple fact of price because we did the stay in August and save promotional discount. You basically get your stay for half the price. Which was really nice. Other than that I don’t have a lot of great things to say. It is no where near the same fun, simple and very clean campground that I remember. When we got there it was like a ghost town which I understand it’s off season but as long as the place is open there should always be workers readily available to run the place, period. I had to get out of my car after waiting several minutes to get someone’s attention even though the sign says not to get out of your car. The lady acted very confused and did not act welcoming or give us any information. She also did not offer us to rent a golf cart. When we got to the RV I could immediately tell the place hadn’t been truly cleaned. There was food under the stove but still visible, the floor was filthy and you could especially tell in the corners. We rented the “Super King RV” and boy was it not Super anything! SO incredibly small! They claim to be able to fit 9 people and that RV isn’t even big enough for 2 people! I’ve never stayed in such tight quarters and I’ve stayed in Campers/RVs before. There were two bathrooms and the “full” bathroom toilet was in such a small area we couldn’t even sit down on it because we were too big to fit. What is the point in having a bathroom that even a skinny person is too big to use?! Then the bedrooms, don’t even get me started. The “queen bed” was about as far off the ground as my blow up air mattress. We had to take the little pads off the 4 twin bunks to beef up our bed just so that it was high enough it get in and out of! There is no reason for it to be that abnormally low to the ground. Plus there is no standing room in that bedroom. Not even a little! We couldn’t stand in there we had to crawl in and out of bed. If you have even the slightest amount of claustrophobia or are just a little fatter than normal, don’t even think about staying here. The “table” was broken or something because it was so incredibly wobbly and it made a loud popping sound anytime someone leaned on it. The couch is soo dated like couches aren’t that expensive just buy new ones already??!! Not to mention it sits so low to the ground as well and my dad has a hard time getting up and down so he had virtually no where to sit the entire time which made our stay very uncomfortable. I was also too “big” to sit at the kitchen table so I had trouble finding a place to sit. Plus I didn’t want to hear the constant popping noise. The sorry excuse for the “mattresses” to the beds were horrible. I mean absolutely horrible. The memory foam mattress they sell at Walmart now would be a cheap upgrade??! The refrigerator and freezer both stunk so bad like spoiled Chinese food. There were hardly any cooking utensils to be honest everything was gross or extremely dated looking. I didn’t want to use any of it. Everything felt or looked dirty. I will say for an RV neither shower was as bad as I would of expected but not great either. The shower curtain in the stand up shower was black along the bottom. The outside of the RV was very dirty and not inviting looking. I would recommend power washing the RVs before guests arrive. We also rented a golf cart the second day we were there and there was only 4 of us so we got a 4 person one. Well it felt so rickety like it was going to break down or the tires weren’t aired up all the way or something. Maybe the 4 of us combined were just over the weight limit. So we ended up trading it in for a 6 person which was a little better but honestly the golf carts could use serious upgrades. They are worn down and falling apart. The tires were low on air and bald. The seats were black with markings of some kind, it barely crawled up hills. We were so disappointed when we realized all the amenities were completely closed down. We realized that it might be somewhat that way due to our stay not being in season but I mean you could get one or two people to either run the kitchen or open the pool? Don’t tell me you can’t afford it when you overcharge like crazy for the rentals during the in season. It’s highway robbery. I mean there was nothing for us to do while we were there. I was looking forward to the ice cream and was so upset when I realized it was closed down. Driving around on the golf cart looking at the different rentals we quickly realized things have gone downhill. The grounds/units need keeping and there clearly just isn’t the staff there for it. Teenagers don’t know how to properly clean things nor do they care. Hire adults who have the proper training on how to clean. Start updating your rentals and I would strongly rethink your bedding arrangements in the RV’s if not do away with them all together. The whole loft idea with mattresses on the floor in the cabins, tell me how that is a good idea?? You have plenty of land there build some bigger real cabins that have real bedrooms and real bathrooms. Not this crap that isn’t even big enough for a kid let alone an adult. Upgrades, upgrades upgrades and cleanliness. Professionalism in staff needs a lot of work. They need to be properly trained and rules need to be enforced with the workers. On a side note, do not go to the brick oven pizza restaurant across the way from the campground, we had about the worst experience I’ve ever had in restaurant there and I do not recommend it. Overall I’m just super disappointed in lake Rudolph. You can do better and be better. I’m sorry to complain so much but other people need to keep themselves from getting so disappointed.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
LC-SunRVResorts, SunRV Sunshine Team at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2018

Hi Taryn T,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave us with your feedback. We're sorry to hear about your experience while staying with us. Our goal is to provide a pleasant camping experience for all of our guests. In doing so, we would like to provide you with a followup conversation. Should this be of interest to you, please reply to the message in your inbox with your contact information. We appreciate you for visiting us. Thank you for your time. Take care.