“Bring an air mattress!!”

Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We rented May 30th-June1st in the standard RV rental. The dishes were dirty, there was food crumbs in the silverware tray and something had melted in the freezer and left there. We were to have four bunk beds, a sleeper sofa and a full size bed. The mattresses on the two top bunks were one inch thick and used to pad the two bottom bunks and still uncomfortable. The full size mattress was terrible but the real loser was the sleeper sofa. The sofa was so uncomfortable to even sit on that we had to bring in our lawn chairs to sit on. And forget the bed which was at a head down position. We had rented the RV and ONLY wanted somewhere decent to sleep knowing we would not be in the RV very much. We all showered at the new Splash Down bathhouse which was much nicer than the RV. We could have stayed at a hotel for the same price. We did not stay at the RV on Saturday even though we had paid for it. That being said the employees were so friendly, helpful and pleasant!!! They all get a thumbs up. But please replace the sofa at least in 63D. My daughter was in from Alexandria, VA and I was embarrassed. I wonder had I complained would we have been moved to another RV???? I just assumed they were all this bad.

4  Thank Sharon46151
LakeRudolph, Social Media Coordinator at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Lake Rudolph. We apologize that your stay was not what you'd hoped and expected.

Your comments were passed onto our management staff. We are in the process of replacing mattresses and pullouts in several units. I see that you stayed with us May 30th - June1st in 63D. That is a rental until that our Maintenance Manager has replaced mattresses and the sleeper sofa in as of last week. Again, we apologize that you were not happy with your stay.

Laura Barker, Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have stayed in the Legendary Cabins for several years now and will continue to do so because of it's location in the shadow of the Legend Roller Coaster and easy access to Holiday World. While not plush, you have the fun of camping without being hot, getting rained on and having the comforts of home in your cabin. We love sitting by the campfire with friends and hoisting a few after a day of fun.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
LakeRudolph, Public Relations Manager at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us!

Laura Barker
Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed in one of the Christmas Cabins this past weekend. The cabin was clean.. The sheets on the bed were clean and crisp (I am very picky about bedding too)..We went this past weekend and Blitzens Kitchen was closed so, that was disappointing. Kids were looking forward to eggnog ice cream and we had planned to order pizzas from there our first night but we were able to get carryout from a place across the street from the campgrounds. Wasn't a lot to do since we apparently booked one week to early lol.. Pool, water slides, activities at pavilion etc were not open yet. It looks like in season there is a ton to do so we do plan to go back. Staff was very friendly.. Registers in the store kept going down so it took a while when we went to buy items however girls were very friendly and we didn't mind chatting with them while we waited. They were both new and I think will both do very well there. .I do think next time we will tent camp or do a rental rv though. First I will say Cabin has a large great deck. My son was able to fly his kite off of it.. The cabin itself is pretty narrow but they use the space well.. The loft however is very low.. The kids couldn't even stand in it. It was more go up the stairs than crawl to your bed. It would be nice is the couch was a pullout so there was another option.. The shower was fine but I am 5 8" and had to bend down to rinse my hair etc. I made coffee and went to get a cup out of cupboard and they were all dirty.. It looked like maybe they had been washed with a burnt pan or something because flakes of ash were in all but two of the cups. I just loaded them all and rewashed them but housekeeping should check dishes to make sure before putting them away. Biggest problem was our wifi didn't work. We called the number in the book for if you have problems and the gentleman said "Yep I saw that it is down in that area" We ask when it would be back up and his reply was "We'll have it back up within a week" That didn't help us because we were only there for a weekend so I had some unhappy teens. Since there is only a tv in one side of the loft (the side witht he queen mattress) the other was going to watch netflix at night on laptop but that plan was shot. I think it is a bit pricey.. They had a stay in May special but because we stayed Saturday and Sunday instead of Friday and Saturday it didn't apply to us. Paid too much for no activities and nothing open.. Kids did love us riding them around on the golf car (Glow parade also hadn't started yet).. Anyway all in all it gave us a chance to check out the campgrounds and we look forward to going there when things are in motion..

Room Tip: Service at the store was very good but I didn't give 5 stars because guy we spoke to about wifi...
1  Thank TRAVELMOMS2
LakeRudolph, Public Relations Manager at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

You did stay with us about a week early for activities and amenities. During that time we were in our Spring season and many amenities are not open yet for the season.

I apologize that you were not able to utilize the WiFi service. We have been working on the issue diligently to get it fixed. The gentleman you spoke with would have been with Tengo Internet, our WiFi provider. When given "we'll have it up in a week" as an answer I can understand your frustration.

I apologize that your stay with us wasn't quite up expectations. We hope you visit us again during in season and are able to experience our activities and amenities to the fullest.

Laura Barker, Public Relations

Reviewed May 18, 2014

This was our second long weekend camping at Lake Rudolph, and once again, we had a wonderful time! The campsites are large and well-maintained, and the facilities are very clean as well. We spent two days at Holiday World, and the park is also very clean, easy to navigate, with lots of fun things for our 5 year old twins AND 18 year old daughter. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Our 5 year old son is autistic, and went missing from our camp site one early morning while we were getting ready to head over to the park. Within seconds, the ladies at the camp store had summoned a group of searchers on golf carts to help us look, and my son was found in the ladies bathroom (he needed to go!). We couldn't be more grateful for their compassion and support during the longest 10 minutes of our lives! Only one negative: our site was next to the camp store and the miniature golf course, and for some reason, a camp employee was directed to use a gas powered LEAF BLOWER to "clean" the miniature golf course beginning at 7:40AM (6:40AM CDT) both Friday and Saturday mornings!!! Yes, this woke up our entire family two mornings in a row! Not sure this has to happen that early - surely this could wait until later in the morning or early afternoon? Or how about not using a leaf blower, but a broom instead?

Room Tip: Stay far away from the camp store if you don't want to wake up at 7:40am (6:40am CDT) to a leaf...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
LakeRudolph, Public Relations Manager at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thanks so much for reviewing your stay!

I did want to clarify that our Grounds and Maintenance employees do not begin their shift until 7:00am CT. Our quiet hours run until that time so you would not have heard them using a leaf blower. We try, but unfortunately can't control outside properties and construction beginning in the early hours. We apologize that you were awakened by the noise.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Next to holiday world. Clean and full of things to do. Very family friendly. Rent a golf cart and travel this property for beautiful sights and lots of visiting with other campers. Great pool to swim in and lake to fish in. Playgrounds everywhere. Camp store where you can get whatever you need. Shuttle to the amusement park. Can't ask for more. Value is excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank hwelberry

Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed the campground!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This campground is not for families looking to "get back to nature" or enjoy a serene "wilderness" experience. Our family of four (plus dog) booked a tent site over the busy Labor Day weekend, when campers were crammed cheek to jowl into one extremely dense population. Our immediate neighbors actually drove their golf cart right through our site to charge up at the shared electric outlet. The wooded terrain, lovely though it is, proved difficult to appreciate with golf carts hot-rodding along the paths at all hours and Mountain Dew-swilling kids tossing firecrackers at said golf carts--this last behavior seemed to be laughingly tolerated. My husband and young son were showering in the bathhouse when a bunch of snickering pre-teens turned out the lights and left them in the pitch blackness. But, hey, it's all part of the par-tay atmosphere. (Management, please consider putting the light switch on keyed, staff-only access. It's only a matter of time before some poor camper breaks a hip this way.) The quiet hours from 11pm to 7am seemed to be pretty well observed by the majority of campers. However, when they're over. . . man, are they over. In a departure from their various park "themes," adjacent Holiday World started BLASTING 80's pop music at about 8am. This was no doubt an effort to energize their early morning prep crew before the park opening and not intended for the ears of guests, but it totally engulfed the campground. Normally, I could get a groove going with Blondie, but after a night trying to keep my sleeping bag from sliding downhill on our heavily sloped assigned campsite, it just grated on my nerves. Later in the evening, we attended a camp-sponsored karaoke event. My daughter, age 7, wondered if she might sing "Home on the Range." But as I surveyed the school-age kids gyrating to "I'm Sexy and I Know It" as adults hooted their approval, I had to tell her that I didn't think they had that particular selection on the playlist. Families considering Lake Rudolph as a convenient lodging option for a Holiday World vacation should know that our family found the atmosphere of the campground a little less innocent and old-fashioned than the theme park itself. Most likely things calm down in the off-season, but we'll probably find a room out-of-town (in the past, it was Evansville) and drive in for any future visits. And, campers, always remember that Santa's watching.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank Square-on-Wheels
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a very large, family oriented campground. There are also many rental units and rental cabins. The draw here is Holiday World which is right next door. We stayed here for 5 nights, traveling from Ohio with our 30 foot travel trailer. We stayed in the lake side area. I would say this area of the campground is where they really squeezed the sites in. Most sites in this area were tight. We were fortunate that when we checked in, no one was in the site in front of us. So it was easy to pull up and back in to our site. Would of been a different story if the site in front of us was filled. In the lake side area, many of the tow vehicles did not fit on the site itself. So they were pulled off to the sides. Just made it feel really tight. There was one guy that left the day before us. He had a lot of trouble getting out of his site. Another guy went back and switched sites because his was too small. Bottom line is beware of your site and possibly avoid the lake side area. Other areas seemed to be fine.

The shower house was average at best. Average cleanliness and low water pressure some of the time. Most sites had a fire ring with a flip over cooking grate. One of the best I've seen. We used the grate several times to cook over the fire.

The other draw is the golf carts you can rent. Given the size of the place, it is almost required. We had bikes and were not far from the store and showers. So we did not pay the $40 or $60 a day to rent one. On certain nights, they do have a golf cart parade. Folks go all out to decorate the carts. That was really fun to see.

They had just opened a couple water slides by the pool the day before we left. We did not try them as there was an additional cost. Close to $10 for the day if I remember right. Seemed a little steep given the large water park within Holiday World.

The Christmas cabins seemed to be new and looked very nice from the outside.

Bottom line: This is a must if you are going to Holiday World, with or without a camper. As I said the cabins looked great and the rental campers seemed good also. Besides there are not a whole lot of places in Santa Claus to stay anyway.

If you are a golfer, I would also recommend Sultan's Run. About 20 minutes or so north. Very beautiful, well maintained course.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Les V

Thank you for reviewing your stay and helpful comments. Lakeside is an area that can be tight given your camper size. It is an area we have considered making changes to regarding site size, so we do appreciate your insight.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Claus
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 1 in Huntingburg
Red Roof Inn & Suites Ferdinand

Been to Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort? Share your experiences!