“"Rowdy"--Rudolph's evil twin”

Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort
Chicago, Illinois
“"Rowdy"--Rudolph's evil twin”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This campground is not for families looking to "get back to nature" or enjoy a serene "wilderness" experience. Our family of four (plus dog) booked a tent site over the busy Labor Day weekend, when campers were crammed cheek to jowl into one extremely dense population. Our immediate neighbors actually drove their golf cart right through our site to charge up at the shared electric outlet. The wooded terrain, lovely though it is, proved difficult to appreciate with golf carts hot-rodding along the paths at all hours and Mountain Dew-swilling kids tossing firecrackers at said golf carts--this last behavior seemed to be laughingly tolerated. My husband and young son were showering in the bathhouse when a bunch of snickering pre-teens turned out the lights and left them in the pitch blackness. But, hey, it's all part of the par-tay atmosphere. (Management, please consider putting the light switch on keyed, staff-only access. It's only a matter of time before some poor camper breaks a hip this way.) The quiet hours from 11pm to 7am seemed to be pretty well observed by the majority of campers. However, when they're over. . . man, are they over. In a departure from their various park "themes," adjacent Holiday World started BLASTING 80's pop music at about 8am. This was no doubt an effort to energize their early morning prep crew before the park opening and not intended for the ears of guests, but it totally engulfed the campground. Normally, I could get a groove going with Blondie, but after a night trying to keep my sleeping bag from sliding downhill on our heavily sloped assigned campsite, it just grated on my nerves. Later in the evening, we attended a camp-sponsored karaoke event. My daughter, age 7, wondered if she might sing "Home on the Range." But as I surveyed the school-age kids gyrating to "I'm Sexy and I Know It" as adults hooted their approval, I had to tell her that I didn't think they had that particular selection on the playlist. Families considering Lake Rudolph as a convenient lodging option for a Holiday World vacation should know that our family found the atmosphere of the campground a little less innocent and old-fashioned than the theme park itself. Most likely things calm down in the off-season, but we'll probably find a room out-of-town (in the past, it was Evansville) and drive in for any future visits. And, campers, always remember that Santa's watching.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Square-on-Wheels

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a very large, family oriented campground. There are also many rental units and rental cabins. The draw here is Holiday World which is right next door. We stayed here for 5 nights, traveling from Ohio with our 30 foot travel trailer. We stayed in the lake side area. I would say this area of the campground is where they really squeezed the sites in. Most sites in this area were tight. We were fortunate that when we checked in, no one was in the site in front of us. So it was easy to pull up and back in to our site. Would of been a different story if the site in front of us was filled. In the lake side area, many of the tow vehicles did not fit on the site itself. So they were pulled off to the sides. Just made it feel really tight. There was one guy that left the day before us. He had a lot of trouble getting out of his site. Another guy went back and switched sites because his was too small. Bottom line is beware of your site and possibly avoid the lake side area. Other areas seemed to be fine.

The shower house was average at best. Average cleanliness and low water pressure some of the time. Most sites had a fire ring with a flip over cooking grate. One of the best I've seen. We used the grate several times to cook over the fire.

The other draw is the golf carts you can rent. Given the size of the place, it is almost required. We had bikes and were not far from the store and showers. So we did not pay the $40 or $60 a day to rent one. On certain nights, they do have a golf cart parade. Folks go all out to decorate the carts. That was really fun to see.

They had just opened a couple water slides by the pool the day before we left. We did not try them as there was an additional cost. Close to $10 for the day if I remember right. Seemed a little steep given the large water park within Holiday World.

The Christmas cabins seemed to be new and looked very nice from the outside.

Bottom line: This is a must if you are going to Holiday World, with or without a camper. As I said the cabins looked great and the rental campers seemed good also. Besides there are not a whole lot of places in Santa Claus to stay anyway.

If you are a golfer, I would also recommend Sultan's Run. About 20 minutes or so north. Very beautiful, well maintained course.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Les V
LakeRudolph, Public Relations Manager at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay and helpful comments. Lakeside is an area that can be tight given your camper size. It is an area we have considered making changes to regarding site size, so we do appreciate your insight.

Laura Barker, PR Coordinator
Kentucky
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Notice that this campground is a family RV and campground resort so you will see other vacationing families and there will be kids playing. We have been coming here for several years and have found that the staff are great and the campground is clean, including the shower houses! It is awesome that it is right next to Holiday World and you are provided shuttle service to and from there! Always look forward to having vacation here and hopefully they always will have such caring staff!

Room Tip: We enjoy lakeside and right in behind the camp store as our best camping places!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for reviewing your stay. I love Lakeside also; it is my favorite section of the campground.

Laura Barker, PR Coordinator
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I am not a camper and was a little leary about our impending stay at Lake Rudolph. I did a ton of research and decided that while a little pricey the best option would be to stay in a Christmas Cabin. Wow, was I surprised! The cabin was incredible. Full kitchen, nice bathroom, plenty of beds for my family of 4 (cabin sleeps 8), wonderful covered porch with 2 loungers and an oversized picnic table. Gas grill was clean and worked perfectly. We even fired up the adjacent fire pit to roast marsh mellows and enjoy a camp fire. The kitchen was adequately stocked and the cabin was very clean. My only cabin complaint was the mattress in the master bedroom. It was horrible and made for a rough nights sleep.

We rented a golf cart for our entire trip, and that was a great time for the kids. Every morning and every evening we would take a drive around the camp ground. Carts are battery operated and the plug for ours was right at the front door of the cabin. We participated in the golf cart glo parade along with several others. I wasn't sure what to do with decorating the cart but planned ahead and bought things in advance. The decorating of the golf cart is a big deal and we decorated ours upon arrival. People were very elaborate with inflatables, blinking lights, etc. Another favorite event for my kids. The camp ground is large so a golf cart is strongly recommended to get around, especially with small kids.

We didn't visit the pool and water slide area at the campground, but did visit Holiday World which is adjacent. They run continuous shuttle service which was nice. They will stuff you on the bus, which did worry me in terms of if an accident were to occur. It was definitely over capacity in the mornings. We entered the park from a side entrance and never went on any main roadways though.

We considered renting an RV, so glad that we did not. The condition on the outside of many was nasty in terms of mold and dirt. I spoke to several who said the condition inside was clean and adequate. Not sure I would have agreed. The same with the older cabins. They just looked not nearly as nice as the Christmas cabins. Nor did they feature the covered patios which were nice to dine under.

The pizza and ice cream at Blitzen Kitchen was very good. They also offered grilled items but we didn't try them.

The General Store had the basics, but was very old and had a strange scent inside. We never could determine what it was. It did seem clean though and had the basic essentials.

The peddle boats were older and functional but needed to be replaced as the seats were broken and missing some parts to sit comfortably. Heard some complain about the lake not being stocked but we didn't fish. I did see one person who caught a few fish they were planning to cook for dinner one night.

Prior to our check in at the campsite we visited Lincoln's Boyhood Home, located about 5 minutes down the road. We planned a picnic lunch and enjoyed a beautiful afternoon. Worth the visit. Really nice trip.

Grocery store is across the street from Lake Rudolph, but we planned well in advance and had food for the grill for each meal or used the kitchen for breakfast while we ate lunch at the park.

We are planning on returning to Lake Rudolph and Holiday World next year. Book in advance the camp ground does book up fast. Great time with the family. If visiting Holiday World plan for a 2 day park stay and a minimum of 3 nights at the camp ground.

Note: Tent camping and bringing your own RV is also an option. We did not use the public restrooms/bath houses.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and book a Christmas Cabin. Worth every penny in comparison to the other rent...
9 Thank Vacationtakeusaway
LakeRudolph, Public Relations Manager at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us in a Rudolph's Christmas Cabin. We appreciate your comments and they will help potential campers.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2013

First and foremost, if you are looking for peace and quiet, this is not the RV/Campground you want. This is a family RV and campground resort and there will be kids. It's also across Holiday World which attracts lots of families. Curfew is at 11:00 p.m. but we didn't seem to hear a lot of the kids outside once we were inside the RV. We stayed at this facility for the first time and I would have to say it's a good experience. We rented a king size RV and it's on a corner lot. It is a typical RV, and don't expect roomy. The mattress for the king and queen beds are fairly comfortable, however, the bunkbeds are just foam mattresses. The kitchen is stocked with dishes good for a family of 8 but the pots and pans are good for a single family so cooking on the stove top is challenging if you need to feed a lot of kids. We used the grill for hotdogs, burgers, etc. which worked out great. The woodpit is a bit deep but it also met our needs. The hot water supply is only good for two good showers - use the bath house that has ample room and hot water supply. The air conditioning only set no lower than 74 degrees, which is a problem for those who has hot flashes like me lol. However, the RV rental met our needs. The kids enjoyed the pool. We didn't have a chance to go to the lake but the boat rentals is reasonable. They have wood for sale at the store but if you have supplies that you forgot, there is a Dollar General nearby. There are golf carts everywhere but it is helpful for families to go back and forth from facilities as the campground is on a 100-acre lot.However, you can also take your car to the bath house, etc. without a problem. The only complain that my husband has is that the roads are fairly dark at night and one can easily get lost. The staff is helpful and maintenance is quick to respond when we had a problem. Check-in can be lenghty since it's a drive up check in but the staff also tries to get everyone through as quick as they can. My family really liked the fact that there's a shuttle for Holiday World and that's very convenient. Our overall experience is good and might look into renting a cabin next season.

Room Tip: Look at their website - the pictures looks a lot bigger than it seems. You can contact the staff vi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for reviewing your stay at Lake Rudolph. We're glad you had a nice time!

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We go to Holiday World every year, but this year we were only staying for one day and didn't want to drive home after a day at the park. We rented a cabin from Lake Rudolph. The campground is nice but a little cramped. They offer lots of things for campers to do while there, including golf carts. While this might be plus to some, it is not to us- they are everywhere and it is difficult to navigate around the abundance of carts. It is more of a party campground than R&R campground. The cabin was just the basics and not exceptionally clean. The blinds and lampshades were extremely dusty. The bathroom was clean but the shower curtain did not fit well and left a lot of water on the floor. The beds upstairs lie directly on the floor. The futon should NOT be slept on by anyone over the age of 12. This was our only option this year since we waited too long to make reservations , we will not make the same mistake next year. I will notbe returning to the cabins at Lake Rudolph.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RamblinRader
Hello -

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

Our campground is a large campground and is a family atmosphere. It is quite busy during June, July and August as those are busiest times. With this in mind, it is not a quiet "state park" atmosphere. We do offer golf carts to traverse the campground as it's fairly large. This does create extra traffic; however, our security staff works very hard to maintain the safety of our guests and enforce the rules.

I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay in the cabin. Would you be able to contact me with the rental number you stayed in? I'd like to have this available when passing these comments onto our housekeeping and maintenance managers. Our staff has been inspecting rental units for general wear and tear, futons and mattresses that need replaced, etc. Please email me at laura@lakerudolph.com.

We do appreciate your comments. If you could email me with more information that would be helpful in correcting these issues. Thank you.

chandler, in
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our family took our vacation at Lake Rudolph in first full week of August. Check in was fine. They had someone take us to our site since this was the first time we had been there. When they were showing us to the site, the employee was hard to follow they drove carts way to fast.When we set up our camper the lot was dirty(including undergarments that were not picked up). The lots are all jammed together unless you get a super 30 or corner lot. They are putting large campers in very small sites. Golf carts at night are going way to fast, also had drunk people driving carts and no security. Security would stop someone driving sensibly and let others go. This will be our one and only trip we take to Lake Rudolph

2 Thank tlshawkins
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Lake Rudolph.

I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. It sounds as if your site was not cleaned prior to your arrival. That's unacceptable and I understand why you were frustrated.

I do have a few additional questions if you do not mind to respond to them via email at laura@lakerudolph.com. Upon reserving were you asked what size your RV was? We determine which sites will accommodate based on asking this upon reservations. Which site were you on? With this additional information, I will pass your comments onto management. Again, I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Claus
Holiday Inn Express Tell City
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Rockport

Been to Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort? Share your experiences!