“Great, if you know what to expect.”

Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort
IL, USA
“Great, if you know what to expect.”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We enjoyed Lake Rudolph Campground. We stayed in the Christmas Cabins: 4 adults and 3 kids. We wouldn't suggest more than 4 adults for this cabin. We loved our location (upper Dasher by shuttle stop 4.) The woods are beautiful and the cabin and grounds are nicely appointed. We loved the big deck. We hung out outside, mostly. We cooked out on the gas grill two nights and had a campfire out back for s'mores. The golf cart was fun for the kids, but not necessary if you are able bodied. Honestly, if you know the way, it is not that far to walk, although it is hilly. I did not jog here, as planned, due to the hills. We played a little mini gold and used the camp store. Did not participate in crafts, karaoke night, but watched the golf cart parade. My sister went rowing with her family. Otherwise, we didn't have too much time for the amenities as we spent our days at Holiday World. We decided a night at Lake Rudolph was the same price as 2 rooms as the Hampton Inn and closer to Holiday World. Our kids loved it. They loved the loft area, golf cart and campfire. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Do you research. This isn't "the great outdoors" experience and you are close to your neighbors. We probably won't be back, as we have other places we'd like to go, but we had a great time.

1 Thank Umechan
LakeRudolph, Public Relations Manager at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thanks for reviewing your stay! Glad you family enjoyed it.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Westport, Indiana, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The people are easy to work with and friendly, but that is about all the campground has for them. My family and I stayed here as it was next to Holiday World. They provide shuttles to and from so you do not have to walk. This is nice if you enjoy waiting for a shuttle that is not full. My suggestion is to walk to the park and take their parking lot tram. We had booked our Cabin for 3 nights. They are smaller than what we expected for an 8 person cabin. 4 small beds up in a loft was fun for the really little kids, but caused a headache for the older ones. The other 2 beds consist of a regular mattress and a fold out futon. The mattress's were probably the hardest thing I've ever slept on in my life. Should have brought sleeping bags and stayed on the floor. We moved the futon mattress to our bed to try to make it a little more comfortable. My 4 year old actually was the first to comment on how the beds felt like "rocks." They do deliver pizza's to the room if don't want to cook out over the fire. That was nice for the kids and us as we just needed this as a place to stay while going to Holiday World during the day. They have free "Wifi internet" if you want to take your time trying to get a good connection. Could have been where we were, but they all were spotty and slow. Ended up just using my phone to share out the connection as there is 4g service available. One great thing about the park is you can purchase golf carts! This was great for us as we enjoyed dodging every 6 year old with a golf cart zooming down the wrong side of the road. The maps and road signs could use some work as you can get lost easily. There wasn't much good I could say about our stay at Lake Rudolph. Except it's right next to Holiday World which is a blast for the family. We left a day early so we could get home to sleep in our beds. There was no way we were staying again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cabins for 8 people. I would suggest staying in something other than these. Maybe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I'm very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. This season our maintenance and housekeeping staff has been working diligently to inspect all of our rentals for "wear and tear" which includes new mattresses if needed.

We are re-configuring our WiFi within the campground. During this time, we've experienced slower speeds and our access points have been up and down somewhat. I apologize that you were not able to fully utilize this service.

Your comments have been shared with members of our management staff. Thank you sharing these issues with us so that we can correct them. Again, I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay.

Shipshewana, Indiana, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at Lake Rudolph Campground due to a visit to Holiday World. They have free shuttles to the park running all day long. The campground is very shady, which I like. We stayed in one of their RV rentals and unfortunately our site had pretty much no flat area due to it being on a hillside. We did not rent a golf cart, but I see now why everyone does as it is very hilly and difficult for those not in the best shape to walk around. We happened to be there the day that they opened up their new waterslides, so my daughter & niece were excited to give it a try. I bought a wristband too ($8.95 per day), but unfortunately got hurt getting spilled out of the blue waterslide everytime I went down. Hopefully they can adjust the water flow or something so that the adults riding can stay scratch-free. Overall a nice family friendly place with lots of activities for the kids.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I apologize that you got hurt riding the new slides. Ouch! I do hope you're healed now. I wanted to let you know that our maintenance staff and engineer have re-evaluated the slides and have changed the entry angles (lowering it) and have also changed the water level. This makes for a much smoother entry into the splash pool.

Again, I'm sorry you were injured. I hope you'll be able to come back and experience the water slides another time and see how we've corrected the issues.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Beware you are required to pay upfront before entering the campground. They DO NOT offer refunds!! We were very disappointed and told them we wanted to leave. They said we could leave anytime we wanted but would not give us our money back. Even hotels and motels don't charge you until you check out! As soon as they get their money they could care less about you. This place looked much larger online and was crammed full of campers. No privacy as sites are right on top of each other. Very noisy. They rent out about 200 golf carts which is all you see. The site is not laid out well for walking which forces you to rent a cart or drive your car to get anywhere on the grounds. RV was not as clean or updated as we would have liked for the price, but served its purpose. Not as many activities as we thought and everything there is to do there you have to pay additional. For as much as we paid things should have been included. We stayed here only to go to Holiday world but next time we will drive in. Employees not very helpful and the lake was more like a small man made pond. Advertise wifi but after you get there they say it only works in certain areas and was very spotting. We gave up trying to get it to work. It was like camping in an apartment complex. There are better places to stay in the area. Don't waste money here.

2 Thank midnitefrog
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Lake Rudolph.

First of all, let me say that I am very sorry you were not happy with your stay at Lake Rudolph. We do require the first night's deposit upon making reservations. Upon arrival, guests are asked to pay the remaining balance. If at any time you have issues, you are welcome to speak with a manager, or the general manager, about these issues and discuss a refund. I'm sorry that you felt you had no choices in this matter. I will forward your comments onto our general manager. Could you please email me at laura@lakerudolph.com with information so he can contact with you?

Again, I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please contact me at your convenience so that we can reach a solution. Thank you.

Vincennes, Indiana, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed in July of 2013. Never been there before. Thought it looked bigger online than it actually was. furniture was sparce and not comfortable at all. But, PLENTY of sleeping room and a huge deck to grill , etc. LOTS to do on the grounds, so the space inside isnt a huge issue. The loft is one you have to crawl through, you can't stand in it, unless you are 4. :) but the kids had a blast! The tub is teeny tiny. The cabin did have plenty of tvs, brand new everything and even had a full size fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher, etc. You have to take your own linens, but kitchen stocked with cooking gear. $300 a night. Min. of two nights. GOLF CART parade at night. Fire pit for SMORES, lots to do. Shuttle to the Holiday world was a GOD SEND! THANK YOU THANK YOU!! :) Overall , awesome! WISH they had a place to sit & eat in the campground , otherwise, no complaints about the grounds. Staff was super! We will go again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LakeRudolph, Public Relations Manager at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thanks for reviewing your stay! We appreciate your comments; it helps us to improve the experience for our guests.

laura@lakerudolph.com
Sullivan, Illinois
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We camped in our own trailer. Our campsite was a bit tight for us to back in to, but we managed. Not much space between sites in our section 59D, but it was okay. It was a super hot couple of days and it was either be inside or be in water. The activity seemed to pick up in the evening as the sun set, and there were lots of golf carts out & kids being kids. We even did the Marco Polo thing. It was nice to catch a breeze as we cruised around the grounds, checking out other campsites and golf carts (many like to decorate them). The newer cottage areas seem really nice. Roads were kind of narrow, and you basically just have to watch out for yourself and others and have consideration. I will admit it was not my scene, but my 13-year-old girls loved it. Other campers around us were friendly and quiet time was observed at 11 p.m. The shuttle bus made many stops around the area, and it was a nice, short trip to Holiday World, with front gate service. Camp store was adequate in providing a few essentials needed. Overall a good time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay!

laura@lakerudolph.com
Viola, TN
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We didn't arrive until late in the evening. The roads are not lit and the street signs aren't positioned so that you can actually see where to turn. The attendant at check in was nice but that's as far as the niceness went. There were literally hundreds of golf carts all over the roads. They were being driven mostly by young children and teenagers. As another guest mentioned, they were zooming all over the place yelling "Marco" all night long. They were also having "hot marshmallow fights" and chucking them at each other as they passed on the carts. Kids were hanging out at the bath houses like it was a party place. The bathrooms were the nastiest I have ever seen! It was ridiculous! I traveled with my 6 kids and even they were annoyed! I will never, ever go there again. On the plus side, it was a quick drive from Holiday World.

2 Thank ABWhitehead
#1 of 1 in Rockport
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 1 in Huntingburg

Been to Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort? Share your experiences!