“Great family park”

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Santa Claus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari are a family-owned theme park and water park combo located in Santa Claus, Indiana. Home of Thunderbird - America’s only launched wing roller coaster, Holiday World celebrates Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving and the 4th of July with roller coasters, family rides, a huge water park, live entertainment, games, attractions - and Santa Claus, himself! Splashin’ Safari, ranked one of the nation’s Top Water Parks by TripAdvisor and USA Today, includes the two longest water coasters in the world, numerous family water slides, two wave pools, plus water activities for children. Both parks have been voted the World's Cleanest for more than a dozen years by the readers of Amusement Today magazine. In 2016, Guinness World Records certified Mammoth as the World's Longest Water Coaster and in 2013, TIME magazine named The Voyage the nation’s #1 wooden roller coaster. Live entertainment includes musical shows, a country band, high dive show, and Santa’s Storytime. Both parks offer guests free soft drinks, free parking, free inner tube usage, free sunscreen and free Wi-Fi. New for 2017! Firecracker is a classic Calypso ride, one of only a handful still in operation in North America.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have visited Holiday World/Splashing Safari several times, and though we love taking this trip with our family, but we were a little more critical of the park with this trip.

We did like the new locker system with the wrist bands. It made it much more convenient to access our lockers throughout the day. We also liked the holicash wristbands. We went to a giftshop where they loaded money onto a wristband that we could scan throughout the park instead of having to carry money. This was extremely convenient in Splashing Safari. We always appreciate the free sunscreen, parking, and drinks. The food I feel is fairly priced for a theme park. My wife and son had hot dogs at splashing safari, but their hot dog buns were stale. While in line to get our food, there were several people who had to come back to the window because there were mistakes with their orders, one complaining it took 45 minutes for her to order her food. Trying to find a place to sit for lunch took as much time as some of the lines for the water slides. Speaking of the lines, the lines for the water slides were very long. This was hot Wednesday in July, so we expected the park to be crowded, but it made it difficult to get many water rides in when you have to wait 90 minutes to ride a single ride. We did enjoy the rides that we were able to get on. Our 5 and 6 year old really enjoyed Kima Bay, a children's water feature. Unlike the water park, the rest of the park had short lines. Unfortunately, the roller coasters were closed for a few hour due to a very brief thunderstorm. An employee mentioned that they have to check the entire track after a thunderstorm. I understand this precaution, but it took perhaps 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the rides to come back online after the storm blew over. My wife wanted to eat at the Plymouth Rock Cafe, but the line inside was extremely long, so we ate at the Alamo which had decent mexican-american food.

We experienced some less than friendly employees on this visit as well. On the children's canoe ride, the operator was yelling at the kids to not rock the canoe or to keep their hands in the canoe. The operator could have had the same result with a nicer approach. There were other instances of this throughout the day where a nicer approach would have been more effective than their actions. We also felt that they could have had more operators at some of the rides. For example, the Scrambler had only one operator. It took a very long time for the operator to load every cart and check them over. Other parks I have been to generally have 2-3 operators for these kinds of rides. We also noted that the queue lines in the stations for the roller coasters are cramped, specifically the Legend, where an operator had to constantly come back to the line to get people to move forward.

Overall, we had another good trip but left wanting a little more.

We hope that holiday world will add to the theme park part of the park in the near future. For the last several years they have introduced new water park attractions. This is all well and good, and those attractions are very good, but the lines in the water park won't let you experience everything you want to. Also, the new Hyena Falls is very far away from most of the water park attractions and is a long walk, especially in bare feet and hot concrete. We were also disappointed that the height measuring stations (which we love that they have) closed fairly early, and since we were in a hurry to get to the water park, we were not able to have our kids measured.

There are newer reviews for Holiday World & Splashin' Safari

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were at HW/SS 7-16/7-17 2013 a tues/weds. I loved that refreshments are free/unlimited as is sunscreen and parking. It is very clean, the bathrooms, changing rooms, the entire park was very clean, even the parking lot. There are plenty of life guards and staff present and ready to help/answer any questions. This is a place to go to more for the water park than the amusement park if you have teens or are an adult looking for non stop thrills as they have only 3 major roller coasters (all wooden). 2 of the 3 roller coaster were pretty brutal, especially the Voyager. That one left us all bruised up and sore. The only one I would ride again is the Raven. The amusement park is great for children about 7 and under. They have plenty for the toddlers too. The water park is great plenty for adults, babies and everyone in between. If going during peak season (July), expect some longer lines, try to go in the middle of the week, get there when it opens, it's HOT. Next time we go, we will probably shoot for mid-week in June. Overall this was a really nice park and I would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I've visited many theme parks and water parks around the country, and this is certainly one of my favorites, especially the water park. Splashin' Safari, which is inside Holiday World and included with admission, is the best water park I've visited in terms of the quality of the rides. Instead of going the cheap route and filling the park with a bunch of body slides, most of their rides are the more elaborate type where you sit in a tube and go down various types of slides. Best of all, though, are the not one, but TWO water coasters right next to each other, both of which are the two longest in the world. Mammoth, the water coaster that opened last year, was the best ride experience I've ever had at a water park! As for Holiday World itself, it is also a wonderful park that contains three great wooden coasters, including the number one-ranked coaster in the world, The Voyage. The park is very well-maintained, and the employees are some of the friendliest I've encountered at any theme park in the country. Plus, you get free soda all day long (hope you like Pepsi products rather than Coke) at various fountain drink stations scattered around the park. In addition, parking is free, which is a nice change from the $15 to $20 parking fee that is standard at most parks. All in all, this park might be out in the middle of nowhere in southern Indiana, but it is well worth the trip!

2  Thank jessi1564
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My son and his young boys had a great time at the water park. They have rides that are fun and exciting for both the young and old. The wave pool was fun as they varied the types of waves. The roller coaster water rides were exciting.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We went to Holiday World and Splashin Safari for two days. Both were overall very good with some pros and cons. I would absolutely love Splashin Safari if maybe half of the people were there. I rode a total of two water slides due to the long lines, but there were many other attractions there to have fun with otherwise. I loved the free drinks feature. I will tell many about this. Holiday World was great and not crowded at all when Splashin Safari was open. The Voyage was the best wooden roller coaster I have ever ridden. Very clean water park, and I loved how family friendly it was and did not serve alcohol.

1  Thank heathswkr99