Santa's Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Quality Inn(Lewisport)
Quality Inn(Huntingburg)
View Hotel
All reviewsoutdoor poolnothing fancybreakfast and dinnerchristmas decorbrick oven pizzanegative reviewsoff seasonice creamgrocery storekiddos
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We decided to stay at Santa's Lodge as it is close to Holiday World and we had a long drive to get there. After driving 4hrs. to get to the park we didn't want to have to drive very far after being there all day. We weren't really expecting much, especially with the prices being so reasonable. (69.99 + tax) It ended up that it was a great choice! The children loved being able to swim once we got there and the adults enjoyed the hot tub! Our room (double queen deluxe) was very spacious and very clean. We decided to do dinner at the restaurant that they have and again was very pleased. They had a buffet style dinner set up, again with reasonable prices and it was delicious. We also had breakfast there and was not disappointed! The staff was welcoming and nice. The children loved the Holiday decorations, the play area and feeding the fish. It was a great place to stay and would definitely recommend it to anyone making the same trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Tara L
Reviewed June 3, 2012

First of all, I checked in late on a Friday night and was cooly welcomed by some less than friendly front desk staff. After paying them $90.00 in cash, in addition to a credit card charge of $90, for 2 nights in a king bed, I immediately went to the room and was astonished by the quality, or lack thereof.

I layed my head down to sleep hoping for dreams of sugarplums dancing in my head; instead I felt bites and bugs dancing all over my exposed body. As if that wasn't bad enough, there was also a crying baby in the next room that wailed so loud it seemed as if it was lying in bed next to me.

The following morning, I asked my son how he slept the night before. I didn't mention anything to him about how I had felt many bites and itching throughout the night. I cringed when he informed me that he had felt itchy bites all through the night as well.

I took my grumpy, bug-bitten self and son to the restraunt for some breakfast, hoping I would be in a better mood after coffee and warm food- wrong! The food was horrible, even the cereal, the bacon was the only thing that resembled a decent meal. I ordered a cup of coffee, then was delighted when the waitress came to re-fill my cup, and subsequently when she asked me if I wanted a to-go cup of coffee as well. When I received my bill, I was shocked to see it was $18.00 for one adult and a child. When I went to the counter to pay my bill, I almost had a heart attack when the total was changed to $23.00. I asked the girl at the counter why it was so much and inquired what the sales tax was. She looked a little beffudled at my remark and as my son says "startled and guilty that she had been found out". She pulled out a calculator and attempted to manipulate me into believing that this was the correct amount- how could that be when I paid $9.95 for my buffet, $4.95 for my son, and $1.95 for a cup of coffee? Well, it seems my elementary mathematics estimation skills have failed me. I dechiphered later that I had paid an extra $5.00 for a re-fill of coffee and a to-go cup.

I called Comfort Inn, located in nearby Ferdinand, while I told my son to pack our bags for departure. The courtesy of the staff at Comfort Inn was amazing compared to the Santa's Lodge staff. I was told by the receptionist at Comfort Inn, that I would pay the same price for a king bed as I was paying at the lodge, and an additional $10 more for two queen beds. I wasn't sure if I could finagle the staff at Santa's Lodge to return my money for the following night I'd already booked; so I didn't book a room with Comfort Inn (although I was informed rooms were going fast). I went to the front desk of Santa's Lodge and was told that they would not return my $90 cash, however, they would return the money to the charge card I'd used to book the room prior to my trip. I don't know how my $90 cash made all the difference to them that they couldn't return my cash, but they were adament about this refusal.

I got out of there as soon as I saw my chance and immediately drove 7 miles out to Comfort Inn in Ferdinand, IN. I was thrilled that they were able to take us in and I lovingly enjoyed my bug less bed, walls thick enough not to hear the wailing cries of a neighboring baby, a free and scrumtious breakfast the following morning, and a short trip to Holiday World.

Save yourself the time, money, and hassle, and book with Comfort Inn instead. The pool isn't that great, but if you're there for Holiday World, that's not what you came for anyways.

Room Tip: Go to the Comfort Inn in Ferdinand, IN instead!
8  Thank Lynn R
Reviewed June 3, 2012

best place to stay when going to holiday worid and splashing safari nice place friendly staff clean rooms

Room Tip: queen delux rooms have a mini frige and a microwave
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank norman y
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The hotel is very dated, decor is old, televisions are still the old box style, bed spreads wouldn't be out of place in Grandma's basement guest room. The website (http://www.santaslodge.com/) has rates, but neglects simple information like check in and check out time. (check in is at 3pm, check out at 11am).

The great part is none of that matters if you just want a place to sleep while you are at Holiday World. The hotel is clean, cheap, and quiet. I figured as old as it was we'd hear our neighbors pull a Kleenex out of the box, but that wasn't the case. We could occasionally hear people in the hall, but not through the walls.

Our room was very clean. The linens were fresh and clean. The bathroom was clean and there were no stains in the tub or toilet like you often encounter in older hotels. Our shower head was at a regular height, I'm 5'11" and it was over my head, but from some of the other reviews this isn't always the case. The water pressure in the shower was good and there was plenty of hot water.

The simple fact is there aren't many choices within a 15 minute radius. Santa's Lodge is within a stone's throw of Holiday World and was the cheapest by about $30 on a double queen bed room. They have a small indoor pool and a reasonable outdoor pool and on the far side of the parking lot is "Frosty's", a miniature golf course with a snack shop. There's also a restaurant attached to the hotel, but we took our own food so we didn't try it. We were so tired after spending all day at Holiday world we just ate, watched tv, and collapsed into bed to do it all over again the next day.

Room Tip: Try to get a first floor room if you don't want to carry items up the stairs. I didn't see an elevator anywhere.
2  Thank Carlos S
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Our neighbors booked our trip and selected this hotel for our two families. Normally I do a bit more due diligence but trusting them, we went with the flow. I was a bit dismayed when I looked up the place from the lobby on TripAdvisor and saw that Santa's Lodge had more "Terrible" reviews than anything else. To say that we were pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. We found the staff, especially the front desk and restaurant people, to be very nice and helpful. The rooms were clean and pleasant enough, the breakfast buffet at the restaurant was perfect for our two familes with 5 hungry children in tow. Location was key at less than a mile from Holiday World. When the younger ones started to show some wear from the heat and lack of sleep, it was a piece of cake to get them back to the hotel for a little rest before heading back and enjoying the rest of our day at the park. It was refreshing to see some hardworking, smiling teenagers on the job for a change. We will come back! By the way, the stocked pond out back was a real hit with the kids (ages 2-6). Tons of koi, huge catfish and turtles!

3  Thank John G