“Sheer perfection”

Ranked #1 of 1 Maryhill B&B and Inns
Co. Kildare
“Sheer perfection”
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We came to Ontario in order to visit a dear friend and since we were flying into Toronto and then going to Michigan it made sense to stay overnight somewhere en-route. What a treasure the Maryhill Inn proved to be! Mind you, finding it was a bit of a challenge since signposting doesn't seem to be a Canadian forte... But once we got there we were extremely happy, it is such a beautiful place.
The Inn is an old coach house dating from around 1850. It is an absolutely beautiful building with immaculate gardens around it. Sandra, our hostess, welcomed us in a very friendly manner and showed us around the house. Our friend had booked the Rose Room for us – my jaw dropped when I saw this room. The deep warm red on the walls and white woodwork create a most sumptious and romantic atmosphere. The TV is hidden behind doors on the wall so it doesn't intrude. (There is a video library on the corridor and also books and lots of information on local sights.) The enormous sleigh bed (covered in the most beautiful bed linen) was extremely comfortable. The décor is just lovely and shows great taste and attention to detail. Both the room and the en-suite bathroom (as all of the house) were immaculately clean. It was particularly good to find two bottles of mineral water in the en-suite in case you got thirsty during the night. I can honestly say that this room was one of the nicest I have ever stayed in over long years of travel around Ireland and Europe. I had a look at our friend's room (the Sage Room) and as the name suggests it is decorated in soothing shades of sage and cream, just lovely. You could stay in that room and just shed your everyday worries and relax and rejuvenate.
Breakfast in the gorgeous dining area was an excellent affair. Lovely table linen, napkins, cutlery and cups and plates again prove the immaculate taste of the owners. This was our first visit to Canada and what a pleasurable experience it proved to be! Perfect coffee, raspberry/cranberry juice, followed by the most delicious fruit/yoghourt/crunchie concoction served in a beautiful glass. And then a wonderful fluffy waffle with local maple syrup and homemade sauce made from local strawberries and a dollop of cream. Yumm! I am not really a breakfast person but this I just relished. What a perfect introduction to Canada!
We went out to dinner to St. Jacob's (about 15 minutes drive) and came back to Maryhill in one of the worst thunderstorms I have ever witnessed. Our hosts were sitting out on the verandah and invited us to sit and chat. We spent a most pleasant hour just talking while the storm ebbed out. Webb described Maryhill as "Brigadoon". Well, all I can say is: make sure to seek out this Brigadoon at the Maryhill Inn. You won't be disappointed. It is truly one of the nicest B&Bs I have ever stayed in!

• Liked — Just about everything
  • Disliked — There's nothing to dislike!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Clauds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ontario
Reviewed June 3, 2008

While my stay at this Bed and Breakfast was quite sometime ago, I felt that I had to come and write something about it.

We stayed at Maryhill with the hopes of a quiet weekend, that was exactly what we got. In fact we practically had the place to ourselves! The owners were so nice, and also very helpful in regards to our dining plans. We were scared to get lost, and they went so far as to offer to drive, letting us follow them in their car. The breakfast was wonderful. I was amazed that we had the room (Rose Room ) we did for the price we paid. It was one of the nicest weekends we've had and think of it often with a smile. We plan to go back.

St.Jacobs is a great tourist site, with fantastic shopping.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms at a great price.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Adayinourlife
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed September 4, 2005

My boyfriend and I just returned from a stay at the Maryhill Country Inn located in Maryhill, ON and we can honestly say that it offered everything we were looking for. The owners, Anita and Jack, spent a year and a half restoring the inn and the results are stunning. The rooms are all beautifully decorated and the dining room is gorgeous. The furniture, woodwork, linens and fixtures all work together to create a charming atmosphere. We stayed in the Rose Room. It was very elegant with its queen size sleigh bed, luxurious bedding and deep burgendy colored walls and ceiling offset by white colonial paneling. The fireplace was a treat with 2 comfy chairs positioned perfectly for its enjoyment. The room also included an ensuite bath and wonderful details such as wine glasses and a chandelier. We snuck a peek at the other rooms and they are all charming. The most grand is the Plantation Suite and the Sage Room also appealed to me, but the Rose Room was exactly what we were looking for on this weekend. It was very romantic. We stayed two nights, thus had the pleasure of enjoying 2 gourmet breakfasts in the beautiful dining room, which is quite large (over 10 tables, I believe) and seasonally decorated. The breakfast alone is worth a stay at this inn. Fresh fruit, tasty juices and preserves complemented the main dishes of Saturday's belgian waffles and Sunday's quiche. The waffles were quite likely the best I've ever had! Thanks, Jack! The inn offers plenty of privacy with an entrance that leads directly to the rooms. You are given a key so you can come and go as you please. The location was also excellent. Maryhill is central to many attractions in Southwestern Ontario. We took in a play in Stratford, which was only about 40 minutes away. We also toured nearby St. Jacob's and Elora, which was only about a 15 minute drive. Waterloo, Kitchener and Guelph were also close by. We highly recommend the Maryhill Country Inn for a relaxing getaway. It is also great value for one's dollar as compared to similar inns.

6 Thank CdnTraveller2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryhill
The Village Inn Elora
Homewood Suites by Hilton Waterloo/St. Jacobs, Ontario, Canada
Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs
Delta Guelph Hotel and Conference Centre
The Inn of Waterloo & Conference Centre
1842 Bed and Breakfast
1842 Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in Conestogo

Been to Maryhill Inn? Share your experiences!