“Go Somewhere Else!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockville
Raccoon Lakeside Lodge
McCordsville, United States
“Go Somewhere Else!”
Reviewed January 25, 2009

For over 25 years I have been spending a few days with a couple of my good college friends at my parents' lake house in Southern Indiana. A few years ago my parents had to sell their house because it was just becoming too much work for them. Since then my friends and I have tried to find a similar vacation experience, and this one did not even come close!
My eight-year-old twins and I arrived at the property first, and our first impression was of a dump with peeling paint and probably lazy owners. My two friends arrived with one's teenage daughter and her friend. We had rented two units at $150 per night for three nights. Each unit had two bedrooms and a living room with a sofa bed. The unit I stayed in with my children had a sofa bed so saggy that we had to put our large cooler under the foot of it so that my daughter could sleep in it. No way could an adult sleep in this disaster of a bed! As for the sofa bed in the other unit, the two teenage girls were afraid of it and preferred sleeping on the floor!
In the bathroom I tried to hang a towel on the towel rack and the rack just fell off. I actually started laughing because the place was so bad! In the two bedrooms the only lights were the glaring overhead fixtures, so there was no way to curl up in bed with a book after a long day. There was not even a bedside table in my room to put my eyeglasses on, which is not good for someone as blind as myself!
The kitchen had a nice new refrigerator and stove and the place was just good enough that you wouldn't turn right around and go home, but it was definitely not worth $150 a night. Also, the air conditioning in our unit didn't work and we were pretty toasty in there the whole time. My friends, however, were freezing in their unit next door and could not get it a bit warmer. We provided our own towels, sheets, etc. ---- thank God!
The pool seemed okay, not attractive, but clean enough that we spent most of our time there. My twins enjoyed swimming and pretty much were constantly in the pool. My daughter had just had her ears pierced two weeks before and ended up with terrible infections in both ears, and after two rounds of antibiotics ended up having to remove the earrings. I can't prove that she acquired the infection in this pool, but with the poor care taken of this facility I wouldn't be surprised.
The resort, if you can call it that, is not that large, and my friends and I constantly chuckled about the people who worked there riding around on their golf carts and not really appearing to do any real work. A coat of paint would do wonders for the place! We also had to laugh at the resort's website which makes it look as though there are pictures of the place that for some strange reason you just can't seem to see.
The redeeming part of this trip was the day my husband arrived and we rented a nice large pontoon boat down the road at the Tiki Hut where they really seem to have their act together. The lake is absolutely beautiful and we really enjoyed getting away from Raccoon Lakeside Lodge and enjoying the water. I asked my husband at the end of the day if he'd like to spend the night at our wonderful accommocations, and he laughed and said he would just drive back home that night. Apparently this is the only place you can rent on Raccoon Lake, so these people will probably continue to rake in poor unsuspecting people's money.
When I went to check out of this place, one of my friends commented on the fact that my air conditioner didn't work the entire time we were there. The man said he was sorry and offered to give me a free night. I was really happy to hear that and thought maybe these people were decent after all. He handed me one of their misleading brochures and had written on it, "Good for one free night in a two bedroom." I laughed and asked the man if this was for a future stay. He said yes. I thought to myself there is no way on earth I will ever return to this place!
So this year we will continue to look for another option for our summer get-together. This is definitely NOT it!

• Liked — The beautiful view of the lake
  • Disliked — The substandard accommodations and upkeep of the
  • Stayed July 2008
1 Thank Nancy S
allisonlee, Manager at Raccoon Lakeside Lodge, responded to this review, April 30, 2009
I am very sorry that your stay here at Raccoon Lodge was not the kind of place you had in mind. We work hard here at Raccoon Lakeside Lodge to try and please all of our valued customers, however it is impossible to please everyone and meet their standards. We are by far not a 5 star hotel so if you're expecting full room service and amenities such as that this is not the right place to visit. Our housekeepers clean the units very thoroughly after every checkout, however you are responsible for keeping the unit clean during your stay. As far as linens go we do provide linens for a small extra linen fee, if you did not have linens in your unit it was because you chose not to pay that fee. I recently took over position of manager and I am making many changes which I believe are great improvements to the Raccoon Lakeside Lodge. I again apologize that your stay wasn't what you expected and I hope that you will consider revisiting us to see the improvements we've made.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
USA
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My family and I love Raccoon Lakeside Lodge! We've been going there for over over 20 years! Every single summer, we never miss. The view is to die for -- really. I'm not a morning person, but the best thing ever is to wake up at the Lodge, make my cup of coffee, and relax on the porch swing taking in the clean air.
It's not fancy living, but that's not what we are looking for. We are just wanting time to spend as a family -- boating, fishing, jet skis. Everytime we go, my kids change their personalities completely -- at home they are glued to the TV, but at the Lodge, they are running around and swimming during the day, and playing cards at night.
In our normal life, we are city dewelers, with very busy schedules lead by our blackberrys (aka crack-berrys). But at the Lodge, we eat dinner as a family, we grill, we catch fish. It's just a dream.

My parents first started taking me to the lodge when I was in college. Now I'm going with my husband and my family. I can't wait for my kids to come with their families.

Oh, did I mention that they are furnished apartments? Ok, so it's not the latest and greatest furniture from Pottery Barn, but I LOVE that the kids can take over one apartment, and my husband and my parents can have a "calmer" night in the other apartment.

This isn't a five star hotel, but for $175 a night, you really can't get any better. This family owned business reminds my family what it means to be an American...(ok, so that sounds cheesy, but it's really true.)

Some of my best friends in my life I met during my summer stays at the Lodge! Cheers to them!!!!!!!

• Liked — The view...ah; the sun; the family times and the people we meet every year
  • Disliked — hummm...I wish that Raccoon Lake was closer to Indianapolis...
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I stayed at this lodge with my family Memorial day weekend. I was not expecting the Sheraton, but what I was expecting was a clean average place, and I was disappointed. I paid $200 a night for a two bedroom 1 bath unit. and then you had to pay extra for linens. It really had a 1960ish style to it. When we pulled up to the lodge they have really no set parking lot, its a hill and you pretty much park wherever you can.

The scene over the lake was nice but that scenic view was definitely not worth $200 a night. They have no housekeeping, so you have to take out your own trash, and make your own bed.

The advertisement on their website said you could jet ski, and rent pontoon boats but their jet skis and all but two pontoon boats were broken down.

We went to barbecue one night and the grill was filthy and broke, so I had to walk to the owner's house and help him load another grill in his van so he could take it to our lodge. And I paid $200 a night for this?!?!?!?

The jaccuzzi was as advertised however when I went to use it at 10:00 p.m the water was cold and would not warm up. I went to wash my hands in the bathroom sink and there was no water pressure.

Don't get me wrong the lake was beautiful, but as for the lodge it was so not worth the $600 I shelled out for it!

• Liked — The view of the lake
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank salesmen
Raccooner, Manager at Raccoon Lakeside Lodge, responded to this review, August 24, 2008
Thanks to all of our faithful customers that have endured our challenging 2008 season. We have faced the record May/June flood, and low occupancy during the gas squeeze (we are income driven) and are back to a more comfortable 90% occupancy. With our remodeled floating docks, we now have one boat slip per housekeeping unit, and have flexible parking spaces that allow for attached trailers, and are making some facility safety measures. Also, we have added two new outside hot tubs for use in #7 & #15, as well as upgrading 7 of 17 interiors, and 3 newer pontoon boats this season. To keep our vacation season rates ($125 to $250 p/n, or $650 to $1,300 p/wk) and provide value for family units (4 to 10 people), we are again are giving the towel and linen from home option. Please come check us out, as we are happy to have you view our facility for future bookings for boating families and/or multi unit family reunions, or a near by canoe & horseback riding events . If you are looking for a full service resort with valet services, we are not a good choice for you. But if you are seeking a relaxing surrounding in a lakeside 1-3 BdRm housekeeping unit, we would love to have you join us. We are adding additional pictures to our website. Please call as you wish. Allison, Mandy, Roger and Sue

Been to Raccoon Lakeside Lodge? Share your experiences!