“Horrible, rude server ruined this for us”

Galo's Italian Grill
Ranked #1 of 107 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 24, 2009

The food was quite good, but the service was the worst I have ever had. We had to repeatedly ask for our drinks to be delivered, the glasses then sat empty, and when the waiter did finally refill the glasses, he spilled tea all over the table and just left it there. Classy........

He also seemed to make a point of showing that he was much too busy to be wasting his time treating us with any courtesy or politeness. The elderly couple we were with were treated with a complete lack of respect as he rushed them to hurry up and order and basically not bother him any more than absolutely necessary. He just stopped short of rolling eyes as he grunted,"yeah, yeah, ok, ok" to speed them up as they dared to take more than 5 seconds to order.

The food was good, but we didn't get soup or salad with our entrees as stated in the menu, and we surely didn't want to ask our waiter about the omission. So, although the food was good, the horrible, rude, discourteous treatment by the waiter makes it a foregone conclusion that I will never return here and would never recommend it.

Reviewed March 1, 2009

After my third visit to Galo's Italian Grill, I thought I would put in my two cent's. The first time my wife and I ate at Galo's she ordered the spaghetti with a meat sauce and I tried the chicken parmesan. We were both satisfied with our dinner's. The second time I tried the eggplant parmesan, I was disapointed. The eggplant was tough and bitter, this my favorite dish, I sent it back and ordered the chicken parmesan again. This past Saturday I tried the linguini in a white wine and clam sauce. This should be their signature dish. The linguini was al dente, the white wine sauce was sweet and the clams were tender and buttery, they melted in your mouth. I would highly recommend this dish, and you can take my word for it because I am a certified chef. Try their caser salad, one of the best I've had.

Reviewed September 5, 2008

While we were in Richmond for a getaway, we saw Galo's from the mall. I love Italian food, so on our last night in Richmond, we ate there. What a nice place. From the look of the outside of the building, and interior decorating and atmosphere, I thought it was going to be a higher priced place. A lot of the tables were white table cloth. All guest were using white linen napkins, and the staff were dressed like you would see in a nicer place. We were pleasantly surprised to see the menu prices. Almost every meal was under $15.00. Wines were reasonably priced as well. The service was excellent, and so was the food. I couldn't decide what I wanted, so the waitress asked me a few questions and the recommended a dish she thought I would like. She hit the nail on the head. I couldn't eat it all and was disappointed that I couldn't take the rest with me, as we had no fridge in our room at the hotel. While we were there, I noticed the place had a wood fired pizza oven. So, the next day we had lunch there before we left town. My friend and I split a pizza. It was terrific.
You won't be disappointed with this place.

1  Thank bribar1
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We found it based on the other reviews here.

The service was fine and the food was very good. We enjoyed it. It's a newer place with painted Italian scenes on the walls.

There is a painted dome ceiling--the only drawback is it is a bit loud.

2  Thank Gretchen D
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We took my parents for my father's 79th birthday to Galo's last night. It was our first trip there, and it definitely won't be our last. I was pleasantly surprised by the quick service. Our server did an excellent job. She was very personable, kept our drinks filled and made for a very enjoyable evening.
The food was absolutely delicious and the atmosphere was a nice change from the other restaurants in town.
I highly recommend this place for a nice dinner. A nice change of pace for this area.

1  Thank grandmamaui