“Great Find, very convenient”

Best Western Classic Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Richmond
Pittsburgh
“Great Find, very convenient”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Easy access from highway with lots of dining options close by.

First room had issues, they quickly changed the room for me.

Had nice indoor pool area although not busy, gym had enough equipment for travel work out.

Overall we were all very satisfied and would not hesitate to use this hotel again on return visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
cuba, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am going to give my negatives first then end with all my positives as this place was really great and deserves to be recognized for it's pluses over it's negatives! I reserved a room in advance online. I had requested a first floor room away from the lobby and noise. Upon check-in I was happy to get a first floor room away from the lobby, but once we got to our room there was a dog barking non-stop in a nearby room. I went to the front desk and complained about the barking but, told the clerk we would wait until we get back from dinner before deciding what to do as I suspected the owner had left her dog in her room alone while she went to dinner and that was why he was barking and since we were not going to be in our room for a bit I was OK with it. When we returned the barking had stopped so, the owner was probably back so, we didn't need to change rooms. We did not hear any more barking until morning but, that was a different lady with 2 dogs and she was getting ready to leave so I didn't complain about it. Another problem with my room was that it smelled like cigarette smoke. It was supposed to be a non-smoking room. I did not complain about it as we liked our location and didn't want to move as long as the dog stopped barking. The train went by 2 times while we were there. It is behind the hotel so we could hear it when it went by, again it was not enough to complain about as we were happy with our first floor location. The only other complaint is I could not find anyone at the desk at check-out. An employee from the breakfast area told me to just leave my room cards at the desk and I could go. The front desk must have been understaffed in the morning. I prefer to check out with a live person. Now that I have my negatives out of the way let me tell you why we loved this hotel and will come again if in the area! It was a regular Best Western but, it far exceeded any Best Western regular or Plus hotel we've stayed at all year! We have been to about 10 different Best Western hotels in the past year, so far, regular and Plus, and none had offered what this hotel offered with it's great amenities and low price!! It really deserves to be listed as a Best Western Plus in my opinion! Here is what we loved about this surprise gem: Large, spacious, clean room with comfortable King bed. Loved all the extra furniture and room decor. Appreciated the free microwave, refrigerator, and Wi-Fi. We spent twice as much for half the room with no microwave and barely any bathroom counter space at a historic Best Western in New Orleans for 3 nights the week before. This Best Western in Richmond, Indiana put that place to shame! Loved the spacious bathroom counter to spread out his/her toiletries! Appreciated the make-up cleaner wipes (would have liked some conditioner to go with my shampoo, though). Appreciated the optional bathmat that was rolled up, clean and dry on the toilet tank. We had spent the night at a Best Western hotel in Monroe, Louisiana earlier in the week that had a dirty bathmat stuck to the tub floor with all kinds of gunk under it that grossed me out. I think all bathmats should be like the one at the Indiana hotel, optional to put down yourself to assure the tub floor is kept clean and sanitary. We loved the indoor pool! The location was private yet, near our first floor room. I hate pools that are in located just outside the lobby or breakfast areas for all the world to see you in. The painted tropical mural and the tasteful, fake potted tropical plants added so much to the decor and ambiance of the pool area. We appreciated the extended pool hours - some close at 9 pm this was open until 10 or 11 pm, probably because it didn't disturb guests being in a separate closed door area. I really liked the design of the lobby and first floor carpets (didn't go upstairs so didn't see those). They were bright, clean, modern and artsy. Nice touch! The table and chairs in the breakfast/lobby area were very nice. They were attractive and heavy duty wood frames with leather or nice vinyl padding that were nicer than any we've sat at in any of the other Best Western hotel breakfast areas we've been at, so far. We also liked the breakfast buffet counters. Not just one but, two that wrapped around the walls of the breakfast area and they had decorated them with tasteful bottles filled with fruits and vegetables. All the food was displayed in an attractive, inviting way that made you want to come over and check out what they had for breakfast. Their sausage and gravy was the best we had in any of our hotels while on our 2 week vacation. The sausage/gravies we had at 3 other Best Western hotels were disgusting. Basically, watery, tasteless mixes with little or no sausage in them. That was a big disappointment as they were served in Best Westerns we stayed at in the South and in Louisiana where you'd think you'd have the best sausage/gravy around! This one was thick and had lots of sausage meat in it. Don't know if it was a mix with some meat added or what, but it was tasty and the way they all should be served! I did not give my highest marks for the breakfast only because the eggs and regular sausage links were nothing special and everything else was typical breakfast items. But, of all the Best Western free breakfasts we've had this was the best, so far, typical or not. Thank you! After travelling 2 weeks from western NY state to see New Orleans and visit our families in Panama City, Florida and North West Arkansas and back home via MO., Indiana, Ohio, and PA; using the Best Western Hotel chain, we were so happy to find this surprise gem at the end of our vacation! We highly recommend this hotel to anyone and will definitely return if ever in the area! Great job Richmond, Indiana Best Western-you are a real Plus in our opinion! Jim and Laurie, Cuba, NY

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Laurie B
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked at this hotel since we had an elderly family member who uses a walker and this hotel had a room with a walk-in shower and a king-size bed. It was also advertised as being a smoke- free properties and other family members are allergic to cigarette smoke. The handicapped accessible room was on the first floor, but was the last room in the hall, I.e., the furthest from the entrance. There is an exterior door at the end of the all, for easy exit to the parking lot. However, there is no ramp at that door and the curb was a standard height, which made it difficult for a person using a walker to exit that door. While the hotel is currently a non-smoking property, it obviously as not always been smoke-free and the odor of stale smoke is throughout the main floor. Overall, we were very disappointed in the accommodations.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cb40509
Bloomfield, Indiana
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay here on our way home from Ohio so we could visit some of the antique stores in Richmond the following day. The rates listed on their website were very reasonable but we got an even better rate by making a reservation and using the discount my husband gets from being in NRA. The property was very clean, front desk staff was very nice and even gave us a card to get 10% of the local Texas Roadhouse if we chose to go there for dinner. We got a standard king size room which was very roomy. It had a sleeper sofa, fridge and microwave no extra cost. Bathroom was good sized as well and the whole room was very clean and smelled good. We had some trouble getting our AC unit to work in our room so we called front desk and within 5 minutes staff was there and fixed the problem in no time. Also our TV remote wouldnt work but they also fixed that problem promptly as well. Beds were very comfortable, and hallways and interior of hotel was very clean. The have an inside pool which looked very nice but we didnt bring bathing suits so we didnt try it out. I went down for the free breakfast the following morning and it was delicious! They had a variety of goodies from biscuts and gravy, sausage, waffles, bagels, cereal,fruit,etc. Only slight problem I had was when we went to check out nobody ever came to the front desk. I finally asked the lady running the breakfast area what we should do since we were ready to leave and nobody was around the desk and she advised me just to leave our keys on the desk and she would let staff know. This was only problem I had and it was a very minor one. I would for sure stay at this hotel again if given the chance!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wishy20
Barb S, General Manager at Best Western Classic Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Your business is very important to us. Thank you for choosing Best Western Classic Inn.
Indiana, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in here for the night on our way back from Columbus Ohio. We booked over the phone so I could get my NRA discount and it was a good price. The rooms where large and clean. We had a problem with the AC and the TV remote was dead but the staff fixed it. My wife enjoyed the breakfast (I chose to sleep in). If I came back to Richmond I'd stay here for sure.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank indianaseth
Barb S, General Manager at Best Western Classic Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for choosing Best Western. Hope to see you soon.
Shawnee On Delaware
Reviewed May 23, 2013

No joke, there is a White Castle on the highway which marks the entrance to Best Western. Might be a little difficult to find at night so this is the landmark to look for. Nice rooms, very clean, good wifi reception. And this Columbia exit is the one with all the restaurants etc. We especially liked Galo's Italian Grill up the street and around the corner behind the mall. There is a major freight rail line right behind the Best Western, but we didn't seem to hear it through the night. Either be being overtired or good insulation or both.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RobertitoL
Your satisfaction means a lot to us. Thank you for choosing Best Western Classic Inn, Richmond, In.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond
Motel 6 Richmond
Motel 6 Richmond
#6 of 10 in Richmond
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton West - Brookville

Been to Best Western Classic Inn? Share your experiences!