“Under new onwership”

Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were back to check out the new, improved Main St. Diner under new ownership. We had heard that they were big into farmer's market food and fresh foods served in interesting ways. What a disappointment! It was the same fare as before. Some additions to the decor and a cleanup make it look promising upon entering. Their touted breakfast, outside their excellent home fries, is a couple of eggs with bacon and toast for $8.95, a bit high for canned, tired orange juice that anyone can buy from WalMart. The coffee has been upgraded from weak coffee to something that is approaching potability. (There's hope.) Their sweet potato pancakes were a legacy from the prior owners, which I believe the former owners could do better. What I was expecting: freshly squeezed orange juice, beautifully rolled omelets with distinctive fillings, wonderful pancakes with granola, almonds, bananas, blueberries, in fact, fresh fruit accompanying their breakfasts. I expected quiches of various sorts and cakes and assorted desserts other than tired old homemade brownies. And touting homemade as an adjective, what else should they be? FYI: you are allowed to buy fabulous stuff from cleverer bakers than yourself and resell those goodies, if you want.
This is a cleaned up version of what was there before. They should buy themselves a breakfast cookbook, read it from cover to cover, and start cooking and baking with abandon.

1  Thank RichardSchillen
There are newer reviews for Main Street Diner

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Main Street Diner is ridiculously affordable and has amazing food. Their homemade corned beef hash is far and away the best I've ever had. They also have very interesting foods such as sweet potato pancakes and lobster omelets (as an occasional daily special). I went there all the time when I lived in Richmond, and I miss it so much now. The owners always remembered my friends and I and were very friendly. I love the building and the atmosphere. The only things to be wary of are:
1) The coffee. I wouldn't even really call it coffee. Don't order it. It is so weak that it could easily be mistaken for tea that hasn't been brewed long enough. It's disgusting.
2) The service can sometimes be iffy. The owners and staff are always friendly, but often forget about tables (which seems strange, since there are so few) and are difficult to get ahold of.
3) Strange, unpredictable hours. For example, it is supposed to be open at 11:00 AM on Saturdays (and have been open for several hours and be open for two more), but we would frequently go there at that time to discover it closed with no explanation. Last I checked, they didn't have a phone number, so you can't call ahead to see if they are open.
4) It is VERY small with limited seating. It is difficult to go there with parties larger than 4 unless you are comfortable cramming together. It is also often difficult to get a table.
5) Do not go there in pajamas. They will not let you in.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I've eaten here many times, there's a reason. The food is OK, it's close to where I work, the folks are friendly, and the price is right. The only thing not convenient is that they don't accept credit cards. I had to borrow $ from a co-worker once because I didn't have enough cash. I seldom carry much cash and not accepting plastic proved to be a pain. That aside, I will continue to have lunch here, that is if I have enough cash. ;-)

Reviewed April 18, 2012

The atmosphere is beautiful. Interesting, old, home-style diner decoration. Delicious breakfast! Great omelets every time I go!

Reviewed October 28, 2011

Been going in this place once a week for better than 40 yrs and 3 owners later,Mark and Rebecca do a great job and have really good food at a fair price.