“Restful and affordable”

Philip W. Smith Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 4 Richmond B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed one night at the Philip W. Smith B&B in Richmond and had a very restful night after a long drive. We had bedroom #1 with a King bed. The bathroom and shower in that room are quite small, so if you are a plus-sized person, you should ask if there are rooms with larger facilities. Also, be aware that all rooms are on the second floor, and there is no elevator.

Our room was nicely furnished, had free WiFi and TV, and a view to Main Street, which is to say a view of the store and parking lot across the street. Since we knew there were no great views to be had, this was not an issue for us. The interior of the house reflects the style and architecture of the period. Interesting, but really only 2 rooms to see...the front room with a grand piano, reed organ, and furniture and the dining room.

The house was built in 1890, and has an interesting history that our host willingly shared as we ate our breakfast of sausage, omelet, muffin, and fruit. It was nice to have company for breakfast, as we had the whole house to ourselves the night before. No staff and no other guests. It seems the sister B&B just down the street, the Martha E Parry owned by the same family is more popular. The other B&B had guests and there was much more activity.

Overall a nice experience and not much more costly than staying in a chain hotel and buying breakfast out.

Room Tip: Our shower was quite small in bedroom #1. Ask if there are larger ones.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MarsOrbiter

Reviewed April 29, 2012

We recently stayed two nights at the Martha E. Parry B&B and could not have had a better visit. We were in Richmond for our son's visit to Earlham College and the MEP is conveniently located to the college and downtown.

The home is fantastically appointed and our room was very comfortable. The breakfasts were yummy and Jill's treats for us at night hit the spot. We also enjoyed very much our conversations with Jill and family at breakfast. Glen Miller Park and the Richmond community rose garden are right across the street and are a great place for a stroll or run or slowing down to read a book.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shaun C
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We were going to Indianapolis for the Super Bowl and all the hotels were booked. I found the Martha Parry B&B which is only about an hour away. A great find. The house is beautifully restored and decorated with period furniture. You can easily imaging yourself in the turn of the centruy. The hosts make you feel welcome in their home and are a warm and charming young couple.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrschris
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My 2 sisters and I stayed at the Martha Parry B&B instead of the PW Smith B&B while we looked through the many antique stores in the area. We stayed in rooms #2 and #3. Both rooms were wonderful. The mini kitchen upstairs by the rooms is really an asset for guests to pop something in the refrigerator or grab a quick cup of coffee or tea. (to go with the dessert that is left for guests in the evening). Breakfasts are delicious and the whole atmosphere of the house is very inviting. We are all definitely coming back for another stay. I highly recommend staying there.

Room Tip: Room #3 is roomy. Lots of nooks to put your bags, etc.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChicagoGlobeseeker
Reviewed April 24, 2011

My daughter was accepted to Earlham College, and this trip was for the two of us to see the school. I chose the Martha E. Parry House B&B (Jill and Kris also own and operate the Philip E. Smith B&B, which is a few blocks away) based on its appearance on the Earlham website for recommended accommodations while visiting and after reading other Trip Advisor reviews. We are so glad we did.

This B&B is in the same price ballpark as hotels in the area and is a less-than-10-minute drive to Earlham. What we got for our money was a stay in a jaw-droppingly beautiful, restored Victorian-Age mansion. The mahogany woodwork, painted and molded ceilings, and stained glass windows are incredible. The furnishings are antiques and antique reproductions. The inside of the B&B is grand, yet welcoming, warm, and comfortable. There is a guests' living room with chairs and sofas that call out for curling up with a book or a cup of coffee and conversation.

We stayed in a large bedroom with a fireplace, comfortable sofa, and a canopied bed. Free WiFi access is provided. There is a TV and DVR on a table in the corner of the room, perfect for watching a movie in bed or on the sofa. There is a claw-footed tub with a large shower head and hand-held shower attachment in the private bathroom attached to the bedroom. The towels and sheets are high quality. The mattress is very comfortable. It was cold outside, but the room was just the right temperature, and if one got cold at night (we didn't), there are extra blankets provided. We slept like babies.

Down the hall is a small kitchen stocked for the guests with an ironing board and iron, a hair dryer, DVDs, a good selection of paperback books, coffee and coffee maker, tea, dishes and silverware, and a small refrigerator. In the evening, individually wrapped desserts for the guests appear in the refrigerator. On the two nights we were there, we were served homemade pumpkin pie and cheesecake.

The breakfasts are absolutely delicious and filling. They are served in a lovely dining room on china. Great coffee and tea, fresh orange juice. Homemade muffins, sausages, some sort of egg dish that was wonderful but I couldn't name, fresh fruit slices. The second morning, there was baked cinnamon French toast, a fresh fruit salad, bagels and cream cheese. I'm a vegetarian, and Jill and Kris are happy to cater to people with allergies or special diets.

The hosts, Jill and Kris, are friendly, charming, and helpful. Gave great restaurant recommendations and know the area well. Enjoyable to talk to. THE perfect hosts. I love Victorian houses, and it was a treat for me to stay in this one. I'm very picky about cleanliness, food, quiet rooms, and the safety of my surroundings when I travel. My daughter and I loved our stay here. No complaints whatsoever. I'm thrilled that she'll be attending Earlham, a wonderful college, and I can stay here again. The only question is, do I stay at this B&B or try the Philip W. Smith House B&B next time?

I highly recommend this B&B to solo travelers, couples, and families with mature older children. Perfect for a romantic stay, a family reunion, or while traveling with friends. Jill and Kris have small children, but I wouldn't bring my own young tots if they're the type you have to pull off the walls.

Room Tip: You can pick your bedroom on the website.
  • Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank Oh_for_the_Open_Road
Reviewed December 10, 2010

We had a family wedding to attend and I was in charge of finding and booking accommodations for 6 extended family members. We stayed at The Philip W. Smith B&B and it was wonderful. The entire house was decorated beautifully for Christmas and Jill her mother-in law Eileen were lovely Inn-keepers. They were always in good moods and happy to make suggestions about things when we asked. We booked rooms 1, 2 & 3 and they were all great rooms. Every room was large, very clean, decorated nicely and had small TV’s discreetly placed so they didn’t take away from the décor. The breakfasts were healthy, filling and served around our schedule, (which we really appreciated). In the evening there was always desert and tea set out for us if were wanted a snack. The thing that we really enjoyed about this B&B was that the common area was so nicely organized and welcoming; we spend hours in the common areas reading, talking, enjoying wine and admiring the lovely large Christmas tree they have on display. We really felt at home and comfortable in this B&B. Every morning other family who were not staying at our B&B came over & joined us for morning coffee and the Inn-keepers welcomed everyone with smiles. As a Thank You gift for being such great hosts our family was able to locate a local Newspaper that was almost 100 years old, and we left it for them to incorporate into the décor of the home. I would totally recommend this B&B to anyone, it is a family owned B&B (In fact the family owns a couple B&B's in the area) and they operate the Business very professionally and want to make your stay a memorable one.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Rothenberger1980
Reviewed December 2, 2010

I highly recommend the Martha Parry and Philip Smith B&Bs. I stayed in the Martha Parry house, which was beautiful, spotlessly clean but also very comfortable, with congenial hosts and delicious food. Easy, reliable internet access, a serviceable kitchenette, and the Glen Miller park across the street for long walks...not only that, it is easy to find. My Earlham College daughter and her boyfriend loved visiting me there, too!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo