Review of Sub 'N Roll

Sub 'N Roll
Ranked #17 of 109 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The food is wonderful and fresh. The restaurant bright and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful and the owner even came out to greet us and see how we liked our meal! I would highly recommend this restaurant and I am looking forward to coming back.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

For about $15, got 6 really good, fresh egg rolls and enough tasty chicken pho to feed two of us. Very casual atmosphere with a TV going in a plain dining room, but the lady waiting on me (maybe an owner?) was so pleasant and the food was a bargain. Definitely will be back.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We go to the SubnRoll often. What it lacks in atmosphere it makes up for in food. The owner bakes all their bread (and it's awesome); and everything is scratch made. The chicken sub is delicious. The meat is perfectly seasoned and served with homemade pickled veggies and fresh cilantro. It also is large enough to share. The Pho (Vietnamese soup) comes several ways. My favorite is with chicken. Thinly sliced chicken in a homemade broth served with rice noodles and green onion. Served on the side are fresh cilantro and Thai basil along with a slice of lime, fresh bean sprouts and jalapeño. So good!!! The chicken curry is also delicious. Quite mild for a curry, and has a delicious broth with chucks of potato and carrot. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!! You have to check them out!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Another restaurant tried while in town for a week. I wish I had time to go back and try some more of their food. I saw this while looking for restaurants on Google and was really in the mood for bahn mi (sub sandwich) so we tried it. The sandwich was great as was my daughters fried pork on rice vermicelli. We also tied the pork spring rolls and enjoyed them as well. The only thing I was not quite as impressed with was the café su da (drip espresso with sweetened condensed milk). They did the slow drip like other Vietnamese restaurants but I think the coffee itself was just different then I used to getting. Just not quite as satisfying.
I saw someone else there having Pho and it looked good but I don't think I'll be able to get back there before I have to leave.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

It's a most interesting place.

Of course, having a VietNamese restaurant in such a town is a surprise, unlike nail salons. I arrived with memories of Red Barn (since Red Barn was in this building) and their fast food when fast food was not really acceptable in town.

I was surprised to see a menu with simple choices. Maybe, it's a better way to introduce VietNamese food to Richmond.

They serve Banh Mi but call them subs. They have fried rice, spring rolls, and egg rolls. The chicken noodle soup is made like Pho but had Japanese Udon noodles instead of the vermicelli you would normally get. (This will change back to the rice vermicelli.) To top it off, they have many lovely baked items, coffee, and smoothies.

I got the Chicken Noodle soup dinner, which included 2 egg rolls and a medium drink for (I believe) $8.55 with tax. It seems a lot until I noticed that the noodle soup had not only chicken but sausage and shrimp. (On a second trip, I had the spring rolls and they were quite good, although I avoided the peanut dipping sauce, due to my allergy.)

I can't say that anything was loaded with flavor. It was good and thankfully, not greasy. They should probably add a Tom Yum-based noodle soup. The egg rolls weren't bad though 1 spring roll would have been a better option for me. The owner sent me a message saying that spring rolls were added as an option, as were french fries.

It's not bad and beats Linh's in Dayton for taste and it's better than any place I tried in Orlando's VietNamese community. I hope it becomes successful. We need variety here.

The male staffer at the counter was quite friendly. A female staffer came out into the dining room and talked to everyone else but me. Maybe, she doesn't like Asians. On my second trip, I met the VietNamese people who apparently are the owners. They're quite friendly and want to please. They seem willing to make changes, and would like to add additional menu items as they become more established. Allen brought me a couple of their cookies, one with chocolate chips. They seem more like cake than cookies, fluffy on the inside, and not American sweet but with a good balance of taste.

I had a sub sandwich/banh mi and it was quite good. I think the combination is a lot more healthy than going to Pizza King or Penn Station but will probably be unsettling for most people, if they're expecting American-style sandwiches. The grilled beef with carrots and green peppers was more like most people would have on a plate than on bread. Oh, and the bread, was glorious. I hate bread but on a few occasions, I find bread I like, Philadelphia's Amoroso bakeries, for example. This was good bread. The sub was good, but whether non-VietNamese will like it is a question. Open to new things? Try each item on the menu at least once.