“A Different Experience”

Firehouse BBQ
Ranked #4 of 109 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The Firehouse BBQ and Blues is Richmond Indiana's oldest firehouse. Owned and operated by two Richmond Firefighters, it is Indiana's premier BBQ restaurant. We specialize in southern style smoked pork, chicken, and brisket, and serve it up in a comfortable, nostalgic atmosphere. Live Blues music can be enjoyed every Friday and Saturday night. We also specialize in catering. You can plan your event to take place in our banquet room, or we can cater your event at your location.
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Been here twice. Once in Feb. when they hosted the Indy car from my beloved Broncos! and just recently on a half cross country trip! As a Fireman, you always try and support the Brotherhood! The other reviews are pretty close. The Food is good. Not really great, but not bad either. They only have one BBQ sauce. Its ok, not spicy, not too sweet. On my visit they ran out of the Local beer. The service is friendly but it can be slow and somewhat inattentive at times. Pricing is like lunches in my area so it seemed pretty reasonable. I say give it a try. You might like it!

1  Thank jandl24u

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Good food, wonderful atmosphere. Loved both the entree and the amusing sides. A definite keeper in Richmond :-)

1  Thank Lyric_Traveler
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The place looks nice, the food on the other hand needs some serious help. I have had good bbq, most of which I make at home, and have ate at a few restaurants. But this was a joke, we ordered the bbq nachos because this was the most reasonable price wise. It included their pulled pork, which had no flavor to it at all, a weak bbq sauce, and sad baked beans.

I am thankful I did not order any other food here, because if this was a taste of things to come, it would have been an expensive nightmare.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
1  Thank androidman
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We decided to eat at the Firehouse BBQ this past Saturday after hearing from others who had eaten there and the decent reviews.
Other reviewers have already given the idea behind the place, small, old firehouse (VFW after that), entertainment on weekends, bar and so forth.
We both had the pulled pork dinner. I had cole slaw and potato salad while the other party had the cheesy potato side and cole slaw. I was kind of surprised that they didn't have the local brew, New Boswell on the menu.
The place was almost full but not to the point of being crowded. The waitress was friendly and efficient. The wait to get the meals was about right, not too long but long enough to make sure the food was done correctly.
The pulled pork was good, we both would say it was about a 4.5. Moist, flavorful but not spicy enough to be a 5.
The cole slaw was a 4, good, typical for what one might expect in a decent small well run restaurant. The potato salad was probably the item which was the lowest on the scale but was still decent, but nothing that would draw one to come here just for it. The cheesy potatoes were rated very good, outstanding wonderful. I actually was offered a bite and was pleasantly surprised.
The place is not fancy, the sides come in small Mason jars, the flowers decorating the restaurant are local flowers in bigger Mason jars.
We did not stay for the entertainment which would be on the stage at the end of the restaurant. We will probably be back. The price for the pulled pork dinner is $9.95 and the Upland beer (brewed in Bloomington IN) was $4.00 so there is real value here.

1  Thank hawkedd
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I don't know why people would wait in line to get into one of the franchise restaurants. This place is owner operated. It has great BBQ, great service, great atmosphere and on nights when they have live music it's all the better. The owners and wait staff are personable and friendly and the prices are very reasonable. It's in an old firehouse in an historic part of Richmond. The two owners are still in the fire department.

1  Thank Rich M